mk1 golf gti tin top

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ajb079, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Ajb079 New Member

Hi guys I have just bought a mk1 golf gti tin top rolling shell that obviously needs everything.. And have seen a reasonably priced gti cabriolet for sale would alot of the parts be the same...as in complete dashboard and heater blowers ect behind dash, wiring harness, wings, bonnet and rest of front end parts,suspension, and under bonnet stuff, exhaust. Fuel lines tank and pump ect....many thanks in advance for any help...

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, most of it is a direct swap. Bonnet, wings, front, suspension, engine and box, heating etc. Fuel tank can be different.

3. Ajb079 New Member

Ok thank you...

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all the running gear will swap, except if cabrio is post-84 fuel tank and filler neck plus exhaust wont fit. plus if its later cab it wont have a bias valve under the car for rear brakes instead it has 2 inline pressure regulators on the master cylinder. can use those on your tintop, or what I did was mount a mk2 pressure reg under the car, needs a simple bracket making up and the residual pressure valves in the engine bay removing. not to be confused with the inline pressure regulators on the cabrio, the residual pressure valves are low down on the tintop just where the rear brake lines go under the car.

post-84 main pump and fuel lines will swap if its an injection car, but these have a lifter pump inside the tank with external swirl pot. If you were to fit a mk1 tintop carb fuel tank though the lift pump will drop in, just need a slight tweak on the mounting point for the fuel accumulator as that sits next to the tank and the swirl pot I mention fits where the mk1 accumulator would go.

interior wise the rear seat and carpets dont fit, front seats will fit but slider handles wrong side if cabrio is post-84. dashboard, heater system etc as mentioned plus most other interior fittings are the same. front door cards fit but rears wont and obv knee bar differ on cabrio as does the centre console. cabrio console may fit, but upper fixings to knee bar differ. I went the other way and had a tintop console in my cab as it was all I could get, fitted and screwed down fine at the bottom but nothing up top for it to screw into! So I guess cabby console is similar up there but a bit taller so it reaches the knee bar or something. boot carpet is the same shape but a lot shorter due to the strengthening member between the rear turrets, probably will leave a gap behind the seats.

wiring wise everything engine bay side plus dash will do you fine assuming engine is gti and you use all cabrio dash parts including switches, heater panel etc. if its a very late cab it will have a brake light switch on the pedal, rather than pressure switches in the engine bay. no big deal either retrofit the pedal switch or mod the loom to suit prerssure switches, just drag the pedal switch loom out then cut down and crimp a couple spade plugs on easy peasy. rear loom fits but you dont have rear wash/wipe, and if your GTI has the larger rear lights you'll have to graft the later type plugs on, pins for them can be had if you have a decent crimp tool and the lamp plug housings same as mk2 golf if that helps.

with the bonnet and wings, later cab has holes for side repeaters and the later cars use a mk2 washer jet with a different shaped hole in the bonnet if that bothers you. tailgate differs too :p

5. Ajb079 New Member

thank you for all your help that's great..

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you're welcome! got any pics of your project? ;)

Terry47 likes this.
  7. Ajb079 New Member

Not at the moment will get some up soon..