Mk1 Golf / Mk1 & 2 Scirocco Power Steering FAQ

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by JamesB, Apr 1, 2006.

1. 666FZJ New Member

it sounds worse than it is, you would really have to see the way they fit together yourself. mine has been on there for nearly a year now without a problem

do you have bluebird pas in your car? im just curious if you have more steering lock in one direction than the other? i notice the nissan rack is a lot wider than a mk1 rack and it seems like it would have to be mounted more to one side to get the pinion in the right place

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. scirocco-turbo Forum Member

I am doing a Corsa conversion at present in my Scirocco, but I know that Richard [crazyquiff@yahoo.com] is doing a bolt in kit in the next few weeks, he is testing one in his Mk1 at the moment.
    Hope this is of use.
    Regards
    Dave Luben

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, it is offset to the passenger side, so technically has more lock one side to the other. This is then corrected with an arm extender, which I think achieves a reasonable result (more details on the link).

What it does do is create a bump steer difference from side to side. However, given it has been used in the Reeves Golf - a devastating Mk1 track car - for 10 years, I am reasonanbly confident it actually works fairly well.

The Reeves would have binned it years ago if it was worthless, and the only reason they changed it was because of the Quaife quick rack group buy we did here on the forum, which enabled a Corsa EPAS variable system to be added, using a manual quick rack, the standard rack ratio being no good.

4. 666FZJ New Member

are you going to gti international and are you taking your mk1? ill have mine there again this year if anyone is interested in looking at the power steering conversion in it you are more than welcome

5. 666FZJ New Member

yes im using a cablechange box so im not worried about the rodshift gearlinkage, now that you point it out it does look like a problem

6. mk1. Forum Junkie

7. ManicGTI Forum Member

Randomly revisiting this...

Could those solid lines on the Toyota Rack not be rerouted?

8. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

worth the hassle? just run 14 or 15 inch wheels.
    F1 boys dont have p/steering..lol

9. 666FZJ New Member

look at the link again, a guy in australia has fitted the toyota rack and made a bracket to mount the rodshift

10. yeha Forum Member

Eh? They've had it for years. A knackered driver is a slow driver.

11. rpatten Forum Member

I've now done this conversion and I can say it works and very well.
    After having gone to all the trouble of making brackets for a renault clio rack using it for a month and finding it's crap I came accross this thread and decided to do it.
    I got a stalet rack off ebay plus the pipes, res, and bottom UJ for about 70
    then found a oridginal shape corrola and took the top UJ and splinned bar off the steering colume 15.
    then got the pipe from a mk4 golf that goes from the resoviour to the return of the pump. as this pipe doubbles back on it's self and is factory formed for easy.

Now the hard bits:
    I'm not a metal working engineer just a central heating engineer so i went to a local farm and had a chat to a sheet metal engineer that was renting a barn who said he'd help me out.

Now I've done things slightly different from 666zfj or rownan. I decided that I wanted to keep the horse shoe clamps that go round the rack in one oridginal piece without cutting them up. So to get the steering rack to point towards the hole in the bulk head we got a 5mm steel strip and created a kind of v shape that we drilled holes in to fit to the bulk head, 13mm studs were pressed in to the V, to mount the horse shoe clamps and then we braced the V with extra material for strength. similar to what 666zfj's done at the start of the thread.

As for the cut and shut UJ:

The engineer i was working with assured me that:
    "an inch of weld will hold over a tone of weight. so it is more than enough".

The corrola top UJ has a welded on sleave that a splinned bar pushes into. So it's welded any way.
    the top UJ section from the corrola was cut away from the welded on sleave section. (You only want the sleave. chuck the UJ)
    The sleave was then welded on to a vw UJ.
    The corrolar splinned bar (which conects the upper and lower UJs) was constantly offered up to the car and slowly cut down to the right size and welded into the the half toyota sleave half vw uj.
    Now you have a two piece detachable UJ section that connects the colume to the rack.

The pressure pipe:
    keep the pressure pipe from the toyota it does fit as 666zft says, but i found to make it fit better i cut off the banjo fitting from the toyoata pipe, then took the renault clio pressure pipe connection which has a 90degree bend and a fitting that fits all the VW power steering pumps (easy to cut off from a breakers, I already had mine from previous powersteering attempt). and welded the two pipes together.

finally a trip to the local motor shop for some rubber hose, a pipe connector, some jubalie clips power steering fluid Oh and a last bit of fabrication for the bracket to hold the resovoiur to the driverside suspension turret and your done.

I'll try and do pictures at some point as I know it maybe a confusing read, but it's abit hard as they are on the car.

Conclusion: you don't need to be an engineer, get some help and get stuck in. I don't want to take anything away from 666zft, if it weren't for him I'd still have french bit of rubbish on my car so thanks. Both ways work but you don't need to do it the same as us.
    The rack works brilliant the same lock side to side no play in the mounts or UJ which is the most important thing for safety and driving feel!!! and the whole lot cost about 300 quid and a week of time to do it wasn't easy and i had the luxary of a mock up car and a mate with a proper garage ramp but I'm sure it's all doable without.

12. alfa New Member

hi i also have power steering in my mk1 but with part no R4 53A00 did some searching but not much luck but came across a rack very simuler to what i have the rack is a nissan figaro but i dont know if that has the same part no will keep serching

13. Insane_Singh Forum Member

LHD power steering!!

HI Guys, I have a lhd mk1 jetta that needs power steering. Any ideas which way i should go about sourcing parts or can i buy something of the shelf for it?? Thanks

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Try eBay France/Germany etc or a Euro auto factors. I doubt you will get a new rack, but a recon rack is entirely possible.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Whilst this other conversation is related to brake parts being different on South African Mk1s, I recently read in VW Driver that later SA Mk1s had power steeering [:s]

News to me - I'd heard of enquiries to SA previously yielding nothing. Would be a perfect OEM upgrade.

16. mk1. Forum Junkie

17. vwaudi Forum Member