MK1 GOLF RACE CAR (Rebuild)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by NickBishBashBosch, Dec 16, 2011.

1. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

Hello and welcome to my thread.

As i have some time on my hands over the Xmas period i thought it was finally a good time to put up some pictures of the MK1 race car up. It is currently been given a new lease of life after a crash at Brands Hatch a while ago. I havent touched it since due to other priorities but i have two weeks now to get it sorted and ready for next season.

The car as it was late 2010 for the PVW feature (01/11):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brands Hatch, first race of the season 2011:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics of the damage mid-season:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The video link of the crash:
    [YOUTUBE]iTfIis_ZYjk[/YOUTUBE]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTfIis_ZYjk

The repair:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rebuild:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The engine is out and head taken off for a rebuild with Ferrara valves. The gearbox is off and been sent to quaife for a rebuild. New clutch waiting in the wings also. Also sent a few things off for powder coating as its looking a bit shabby after the seasons abuse. New turbo manifold has been set for coating along with the turbo and downpipe, the turbo is also getting 'clocked' and a few other tweaks.

Whilst the engine is out i have taken the opportunity to weld in some small bracing tube to the front wishbone mounts. I also put some head shield on the bulkhead ready for the new turbo. i have removed the brake linkage as i will also fit the floor mounted pedal box i've had made. Finally i have fitted new wheels 17x9 5x100, only the rears are on at the minute as the front hubs are off getting caliper brackets made up for the new brakes.

Well thats it so far, waiting on parts back from everyone now. Will crack on next week and hopefully get all the parts back before the xmas holiday.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Great news Nick. Car looks great. Same championship next year? Any testtrack days booked yet?
    Lots of wheels have been on that car!! Do you still have the Oz Superleggera's? I would really like to buy them off you if you are upgrading to 17's [:D]

3. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

Haha, yes lot of wheels!! They are ATS DTC's sam and have avon slicks soft/medium compound. Yes the can be for sale if you like buddy, also have some brakes you may like too.

Wont run in the DMS Saloons next year, will be joining you in the VAG trophy!!!

4. danster Forum Addict

Whoops, never knew about the bump. Does not look too serious in that the chassis leg seems to have missed the brunt of it. Just panel damage hopefully. :thumbup:

So going 5 stud then, something like mk3 GTI discs on the rear, but how are you adapting the front end, different hubs and uprights, or redrilling the 4 stud drive flange?

5. Admin Guest

Mk3 gti's are no good for nothing!

6. TK1

TK1 Forum Member

good to see the old golf under repairs and going back out where it should be

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Wow Nick, great to see the car coming back from the bump.

Looks like the UK is full of Kamei love now lol. Looking forward to the updates, good luck mate.

EDIT: while the engine is out maybe ok to weld the strength bar between the steering rack mounts?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  8. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

Yes, 5 stud mk3 discs on the rear and the front hubs are getting re drilled so that i can keep the VW Motorsport driveshafts. Also the hubs have bespoke ball joint extenders so it was decided to retain them rather than start again.

I have not noticed any flex or weakness in the mounts mike, have others? is this a known weak point? do you have any photos or examples of people who have suffered problems in this area?

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yes Nic it is a weak spot on mk1's, some times flex in the bushes reduces it but when new bushes go on it can start to flex a lot and go elsewhere, will have a dig up of a pic for you.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

11. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

I have one solid mount and one polybush on the steering rack at the minute. The theory being a bit of flex is good. I have inspected and there are no signs of weakness YET! Maybe i have been lucky. I'll be interested to see what mods people have done to counter this problem that they have encountered.

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

see links above

13. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

Thanks Mike, simple addition of a bar! Its added to the list.:thumbup:

14. samfish

samfish Forum Member

WOO HOO! Great! Another Mk1 in the VAG.

Yeah, any wheels of other bits you fancy selling, please let me know :thumbup: My Wheels are not crazy heavy - 7kg I think. But I could do with another set, and would be nice if they where lighter.
    Still not sure on what is happening to regs next year, although John hinted at there being just a class A and B...... With the mk2's joining B. Which should give them more incentive to race harder in the VAG, instead of just using it as a practice session (lap times are sometimes a few seconds off what they do in the GTi race)
    We may all be put on a rolling road and given a target weight....We'll see.
    Cant wait :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  15. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

Unlucky about the shunt & with the only other VW/CGTIer :(

Is the berg cup kit going back on?

Look forward to watching this in the VAG races next year. :)

16. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

Yes the group 2 kit will go back on. I had the molds taken from the Original KAMEI car before i sold it. A lot of time was spent getting them right and the results are spot on, finally there is a kit out there that fit!!! About bloody time as i was fed up with the poorly shaped ones that are out there. Plus they aren't actually that much wider than standard wings. These new ones are much wider and fingers crossed i can get them to work with the new wheels. i have my doubts as they are monsters, i couldn't fit 15x8 under the last so 17x9 is going to take a bit of jiggery pokery!!! i should have the hubs and brakes back this week so as soon as they are back I'll get to work. [:s]

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Love the car Nick, always have. But those 17"s are [xx(] on a Mk1.

18. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

Haha, you're right 17's and a Mk1 have never worked! unfortunately its not about looks with a race car. They will provide a better platform for both tyres and brakes. I can jump to a 235/610/17 dunlop which will give me better traction which is needed especially with the new power output. Plus i have 56 of these BTCC Mag alloy wheels and it will mean both my racers will run on the same shoes. I can also fit new TOCA AP brakes, hopefully they will not over brake the car though as they are designed for a 1200kg car [:s].

19. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

As suggest early in the thread, a steering rack support has been fabricated in. The mounts had already been seam welded so it was just the simple addition of a brace between the two mounting brackets.

[​IMG]

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Nice one, any thermal wrap to go around the main upright steering rack gater needed with your engine? I know mine melted a bit once as it was close to the 8v manifold though yours might be different. Still need to cover mine in the future.

This is the other place mine snapped once, though the supports also had to be repaired like yours at the time:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/fthaimike/Track%20Car/DCP_5701b.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011