mk1 rain tray removal

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by RyanMac, Aug 31, 2010.

1. RyanMac Forum Member

I am thinking about moving the metal that seperates the engine bay from the raintray but just want to know how big a job this is and how would I go about it....Is it just a case of cutting out the metal and rewelding the seam? what happens with the vin number?

Thanks

2. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Its not a big job to get it out, and no need to re-weld the seam, the rain tray section you remove is a seperate piece spot welded in. I did mine by cutting down each edge so i could push it back to see a little better, found and center punched the spot welds, use a spot weld drill bit to remove. I photoed the vin in place and then cut it out again with a photo for back up. You could always weld / pop rivit it on to another panel.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

Are you retaining the heater and going to use the car for RACMSA Motorsport ?

(That seam / seal serves as a firewall between the engine bay and the driver)

4. RyanMac Forum Member

No james I am not going to use it for racmsa and my car doesn't have a heater or anything like that. The heater and all components/associated parts have been removed from the car.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's a mod people do, but could affect not perhaps your use, but someone else's in the future. I wouldn't buy a car with it removed for eg.

It creates space, but it's no biggie IMO. A few bits of quite useful tin - amounts to nothing on weight saving.

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Fair enough ... shame though ;)

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

Agreed ...

Unfortunately I`ve seen several cars where that area has been compromised with fuel lines / filters etc ...

8. danster Forum Addict

You can just put a box over the heater motor air intake, and a duct to supply air. This then retains the sealed bulkhead for Motorsport use.

9. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Duct on the Reeves MK1

[​IMG]

10. RyanMac Forum Member

it was all removed when I got the car and the hole that was left covered over.