Mk1 VR6 Caddy

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by bonus85, Aug 31, 2018.

1. bonus85 Forum Member

I've stripped a Mk3 Golf VR6 auto to run in my Caddy, but I want it manual.
    I'd like to use a V5 box really as they are newer and more obtainable with lower mileage.
    I'd just like to know:
    If it has a cable speedo
    Will 02j conversion mounts work on it?
    Will the Auto Gearbox wiring give me any headaches?
    Or should I just wait for a good VR6 manual box to turn up?
    Sounds like I've answered my own question really....

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. yep, the v5 box is basically same as a vr6 manual box so you use a mk1 1.3 speedo cable same as any other 02a/j type
    2. nope, you need vr6 specific mount set (well yep, if you can get vr6 engine bracket which works with the 4 cylinder type 02j mounts)
    3. wont be a problem

3. bonus85 Forum Member

Cheers rubjonny
    Ok, picked up a v5 gearbox. I'll be using a polo selector & cables, with a TT tower if I can get one
    Another question - I have 100mm driveshafts that I bought a while back with these dimensions:

OFFSIDE= WHEEL SIDE 22MM
    LENGTH 763.5MM
    TRANS JOINT 100 MM

NEARSIDE= WHEEL SIDE 22MM
    LENGTH 529.5MM
    TRANS JOINT 100 MM

I'm being told by a mount supplier they wont work and I now need a custom driveshaft length, is that right?

I may return these due to them being sold as Mk1 VR6 conversion shafts

4. rubjonny

with the driveshafts it depends how the VR6 mount kit supplier has built the kit. Usually if you try to use the normal 4 cylinder kit the engine ends up a bit too close to the chassis leg so these kits will move the engine over a bit more for good clearance.

the trouble with that is it means standard shafts wont go, and you need the right custom ones to go with the mount set you have bought

5. bonus85 Forum Member

Okay dokey, better find a driveshaft supplier then!

Thanks for you help, I'll try and post my findings and a few pics soon

6. bonus85 Forum Member

In asking around it seems most suppliers VR6 mk1 mounts are shifted to the passenger side by 'x' amount. some say 3", but it would be nice to know by exactly how much, (I'm assuming not all the suppliers out there are the same) and I cant see them telling me there dimensions either! And if they do supply driveshafts as part of the kit, they aren't cheap, and it adds to the postage cost.

Wether they are shifted forwards or backwards I can't find out yet, but I don't think they are.

Using the 100mm driveshafts to suit a 1.8t/02j conversion I already have, I'd assuming the driveshafts would need to be lengthened & shortened by 'x'

Or i find an OEM shaft to work, thats 'x' longer and 'x' shorter

If I could find out from someone who has 1.8t/02j mounts the measurement from the mount bolt centre to the gearbox fixings, I'd use that dimension to add/cut from the driveshafts.

x

7. rubjonny

if you already have a mk1 with 02a/j in there then you can measure the size & position of that gearbox mount vs the one supplied in the vr6 kit, that'll tell you exactly how far over the engine is moved and thus give a decent idea of the shaft lengths required :)

edit: or did you mean you only have the shafts? :lol: if so yeah see if you can get hold of an 02a/j mount to compare with. they aren't tooooo expensive... You never know you might be able to get the vr6 in ok with those, then make up your own driver side bracket to suit

8. bonus85 Forum Member

Yes I've already got cabby driveshafts, I'll put them back on ebay soon and I'll just get the Eyptec kit. They are the only company prepared to actually confirm their driveshafts work with the mounts.
    Regarding the V5 gearbox - Could I use a single mass flywheel? Mk3 VR6 flywheels seem hard to find. Plus I'm thinking it'll work better with the v5 starter motor. I'm also toying with a lightened flywheel, but I do like a torquey feeling engine.

9. rubjonny

vr6 flywheel is what you woudl call a single mass flywheel, unless you meant can you use a 20v single mass (e.g. g60, tdi, corrado, abf etc) then no as those only fit 4 cylinder engines

10. bonus85 Forum Member

Yes G60 is 6 bolt isnt it, VR6 ten.

I don't really want a lightened flywheel and I just seem to be struggling to track down a stock VR6 flywheel, unless its from the US (plus shipping costs). I thought I'd search for a V5 single mass version, thinking they might be easier to find. But I'm not sure they fit.

(European car, all parts now only available in the US :-D)

11. rubjonny

yeah and its different shape etc

have a word with hotgolf/martin emment/gas n gears if anyone has one sat around gathering dust it would be him ;)

V5 one would fit but afaik they're all DMF anyway so no use if you're after SMF.

12. bonus85 Forum Member

Whats the best way to host an image?

I Haven't had to post anything since photobucket turned on us
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2018
  13. rubjonny

You can upload your images direct to the forum if you like, flickr is a bit of a pain to create hosted image links from