MK1 Zender Monologue...

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Zender Z20, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Raid1 wheel with Zenders own center pad... it's made of the same dense, rubbery material that the original would've had.

(The last pic. is nicked from the inter-web)

The Zenders pad is attached by pushing molded in circular extensions on the rear through the existing holes on the steering wheels metal arms.

A standard 52mm horn button is still needed beneath, there's enough flex to sound it by pressing through the pad.

Raids own pad hooks over the sides instead.

raid.JPG

raid2.jpg

raid1.jpg

2. Zender Z20

Tying in with the extra gauges, plan was to put them up at eye level where the radio would normally sit, but that was assuming I'd have (to my eye at any rate) three so as to look balanced.

If another turns up will likely continue with that, but I'm now considering putting the two I have down on the console and use a 2 x hole DIN panel.

Radio will go back up above and I've a cassette holder / cubby affair that could occupy that empty remaining slot.

Straying a little as the console's not from Zender, but Foha.

Being 1980's it's not a precision fit but close, not that the originals is that much better, but it's suprisingly well made from pressed / spot welded steel and quite weighty.

The original vinyl covering was shot, this is it redone but looks exactly as it was.

There's a couple of MK2 Foha consoles about, slightly different arrangements - one even has 3 x DIN slots, though what you'd have to put in them all (plus your dash one) back then I'm not sure!

foha.jpg

foha2.jpg

foha1.jpg

3. Zender Z20

Cassette holder (ask your dad)... no LED's here (ask your child), just a little rice grain dash bulb.

foha3.JPG

foha4.JPG

foha6.JPG

foha7.JPG

foha8.JPG

dodgy likes this.
  4. Zender Z20

I've said it before now, but I'd be the first to agree Zender did put out some questionable products.

However their Turbo / Sport and Star wheels aren't amongst them, I personally can't fault them.

You've seen the Turbo's earlier, here's a Sport.

The Sports also had the benefit of adding either Sport Tops or Sport Discs.

They were plastic covers (that can be painted if you wish) to give them a different slant.

The specific to them center caps replace the originals and hold everything secure. They're rammed on pretty tight, you couldn't get them back off without the tool provided.

The final image is of the Sport Discs, unfortunately still looking for a set of those.

ST.jpg

ST1.jpg
    ST2.jpg

ST3.jpg

ST4.jpg

ST5.jpg

ST6.jpg

ST7.jpg

sport discs2.jpg

5. Zender Z20

1984 catalogue images - I originally thought this was the 2-tone GTIE car pictured earlier, but there's a few detail differences such as the fishnet headrests that make me think otherwise now.

Sharp eyed might've noticed the raised panel fitted between the tail lights and bumper, called a Heckschriftzug!

cat1.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    cat3.jpg
    cat4.jpg

6. Zender Z20

I've a folder of images filched over the past 10 or more years from the inter-web.

Any wonder I love MK1's and Zender!

sports.jpg

sports1.jpg

stern.jpg

stern1.jpg

stern2.jpg

erreesse and dodgy like this.
  7. Zender Z20

Not exclusive to the Z20 but probably the one bit that people associate with MK1 Zenders the most.

Bit of a commitment if you're minded to fit one, 4 screws / holes into the top edge of the tail gate and two more of the same either side for the fins... those go in around the rain gutter area.

There were half decent copies of this available at much the same time as the genuine article and they don't pretend to be anything other than that. One was from an Italian outfit called Lester. You could even get them in places like Carnoisseur, so it's possible they were maybe made under licence.

You'll not find any Zender or other markings on those.

There's also some very dodgy latter day fakes circulating, they do have Zender etc. moulded into them and try to deceive.

If you've seen an original the fakes (not the copies) will stand out like a sore thumb, but if not be cautious. As a rule they're poor quality, ill defined mouldings and any script is blurred looking (though don't rule one out on that alone as genuine ones can rub down with time, the rubber material is quite soft). The three parts don't marry up very well either. It wouldn't be so bad, but they seem to usually ask for genuine money.

There's a steel reinforcement bar in all three pieces, unfortunately the holes for the screws pass through. It's a crude set up that guarantees water ingress, specially if the little caps have been lost on the side pieces.

Inevitably the steel will corrode and expand, splitting the rubber they're encased in, then it's a vicious circle.

spoil.jpg

spoil1.jpg

spoil2.jpg

spoil3.jpg

spoil4.jpg

8. Zender Z20

Heckschriftzug... made with the same rubber like material that the upper spoiler comes in.

Captive nuts on the reverse allow it to be bolted on from inside the boot.

heck.jpg

heck1.jpg

heck2.jpg

9. Zender Z20

You've likely worked out I'm sifting through all the stuff gathered up over the years, trying to make some order of it in advance of working on the car itself.

Surprised myself with this one, completely forgotten about it... More Foha, not Zender, though I've since noticed a few catalogue images for steering wheels and the like with Foha consoles in shot in the background, but so far none listed as available through them.

Like the middle console its underpinnings are formed sheet steel covered in padded vinyl. The flat top is rubberised plastic here though.

Can be illuminated in just the same way as the cassette holder, identical little dash bulb behind a plastic cowl part way down the inside rear.

Upper portion tips backwards and out of your way on a spring action, locking set up.

There's an old style VW Audi packing slip and part number with it that Google claims is for a 'bulb holder', which seems to be borne out by the word 'Lampentrae'.

Downside is it all seems to be attached by simply screwing the flange on either side at the base into the floorpan, plus probably aimed at the LHD market since that lid hinges away from RHD drivers.

konsole.jpg

konsole1.jpg

konsole2.jpg

konsole3.jpg

10. Zender Z20

Foha console in a MK1 Series 1, with the taller style... should satisfy even the most extreme DIN slot fan.

The other image is of a 3 x gauge holder, but with just the two fitted.

What looks to be a picture of a face is infact meant to represent a mirror, maybe that's the answer to my missing dial?

dash1.jpg

dash.jpg

11. Zender Z20

Time was I might've been arsed to scan these for you, but you'll have to make do with some snaps instead!

(They're uploaded full size, if you're still reading and want to expand the thumbnails)

Part of a trade binder showing off point of sale / vehicle liveries and other mechandise.

Not pictured is a separate price list put out by GTIEngineering, runs to several pages but does list the 'Z20' both as a road going package (full body kit / Turbo wheels / Koni suspension / upper + lower braces / 'decal' set) for £1190.00... not clear if that includes fitting etc.

You could also get the body kit on it's own for £352.00

List is date december 1983, wonder what that would equate to in todays money?

German dudes in the last image must've been running the show at that time.

Showing my age but one looks like he's runaway from the 'Buggles' and if you've any connection to Northern Ireland you'll maybe agree the other is a Sammy Wilson'a'like, though perhaps one who's found out where the biscuits are hidden.

IMG_20211222_100446.jpg IMG_20211222_100513.jpg IMG_20211222_100548.jpg IMG_20211222_100603.jpg IMG_20211222_100622.jpg IMG_20211222_100634.jpg IMG_20211222_100653.jpg IMG_20211222_100708.jpg IMG_20211222_100727.jpg IMG_20211222_100738.jpg IMG_20211222_100755.jpg

12. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

I believe goes by the name of Sean Fleetwood, one of the admins of the scirocco register forum / facebook group.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  13. Zender Z20

Thanks for that, will see if I can get in touch somehow... don't do all that Face-chat malarkey.

Mk2daz likes this.
  14. Mk2daz

I can try get in touch if you aren't having much luck, just let me know! :)

Zender Z20 likes this.
  15. Zender Z20

Thanks, that would be spot on... I'm guessing from your avatar you might be on the Scirocco register, if so and it's no hassle a PM there to ask him to sign in here would probably be enough.

Cheers.

16. Mk2daz

Yeah I'm involved in the Scirocco Register, have sent him a PM over Facebook this morning, so hopefully he'll maybe log on and get back to you soon!

Daz

Zender Z20 likes this.
  17. Zender Z20

Thanks for that Daz... He's been in touch, but unfortunately not him. Was always a long shot, but still worth the try!

Mk2daz likes this.
  18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

love the mirror, such an odd option. still, gotta make sure your mullet is still in place after a blast up the autobahn with the windows down I guess :lol:

19. Adamss24 Forum Member

Good morning guys, friend of mine has a set of Zender wheels in 3x108mm pcd/15”…are they worth much ? 338CAD74-9FC4-45DC-AA9B-3EFB740C389C.png 971A6CF8-0745-4B8E-A52B-BFBAC9F1D293.png CFA44730-C20C-4117-B7D9-353ACC99210C.png

20. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Ford/Peugeot fitting.
    Probably not as much as in German ie VW, BMW Opel fitting... But still nice.

Adamss24 likes this.