MK1 Zender Monologue...

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Zender Z20, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

If my peepers are working, that looks like 8.453 cast into the outside lip of the rim in your first image.

If so, that's down as being for Audi 80/90's (catalogued as having an offset of 38).

2. Zender Z20

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

Thanks ! I need to go measure them properly really…it does say that number you mentioned on the rim…are they worth 400 euros ??

4. Zender Z20

No defintive value possible... you'll get what someone is willing to pay at any given time.

Zender stuff went through a bit of a resurgence 5 -10 years ago and fetched prices accordingly, that's over for the time being.

Certain exceptions will still attract attention - the original 'Turbo' wheels (specially with caps, they get strong money on their own), Sport wheels but only in certain sizes / offsets such as 15" / 12 et or 0 et (4x100 early BMW), and some but not all steering wheels.

If the ones pictured have been polished to remove the original laquer, it takes a lot of effort people don't want to spend to keep them tidy, putting them off.

For the purist, original center caps, (plus there's correct older / newer version depending on age of wheel) would be desirable.

The dummy split rim bolts are depending on wheel age originally either screw in or bonded in pegs. If screw in, they're possible to remove allowing a proper refurb, if bonded and assuming you can even get them out, they'll likely not survive the process.

Too many if's, but's and maybe's unfortunately.

Adamss24 likes this.
  5. Adamss24 Forum Member

So they are fake split rims…I think I will pass on them…thank you for making it clear for me !

6. Zender Z20

Those and 99.9% you'll see are. There were some Zender designed, genuine splits made for them by Speedline.

You'll know the difference without needing to be shown if you're fortunate enough to find them.

Adamss24 likes this.
  7. Adamss24 Forum Member

Thank you for clarifying that ! I will ask my mate for a picture of the rear…

8. Adamss24 Forum Member

So they are fake split rims…bolts are metal and go trough the rim… ACC1155E-03DE-4313-856B-36FEE15B0771.png 63BE07C8-0203-4655-B319-8A21548740B0.png

Attached Files:

9. chopperoli Forum Member

Instead of the mirror how about this one. It translates as "or 3 photos of your darlings" and comes complete with wife and dog photo inserts!

zender.jpg

Zender Z20 likes this.
  10. Zender Z20

Been a bit neglectful of the thread lately... still doing the mundane mechanical stuff, nothing that worthy of a post.

Hauled these out of the loft after being reminded when glancing through a few brochures. Zender don't appear to have been shy about selling other peoples stuff, quite often branded as their own.

The mirrors are desribed as semi-universal but I'd defy the maker to deny they weren't modelled on the MK1's, resemblance is obvious, plus they fit onto the door using the same mounting holes!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

11. Zender Z20

And in the same vein (worth the period sticker opportunity on their own)...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

12. Zender Z20

Nice... (Wifes) growler up on your dash, very tasteful.

13. Zender Z20

Attention's back on the MK2 at the moment as I'm expecting the block back in the next week or so.

In the meantime I'd been doing bits'n'pieces' piecemeal on the MK1's suspension.

A while ago, purely by chance, I discovered phosphoric acid and it's rust busting properties.

Suits my circumstances perfectly... I've no access to sandblasting or the like and not doing enough pieces (nor those that I have all at the same time) to be farming it out elsewhere for cleaning / coating, plus just enjoy learning / tinkering with new processes.

Started out doing nuts / bolts etc and have progressed up to larger items.

It's not as simple as dunking a crusty lump into a bath of the stuff, but not far off it either. Best results come after wire wheeling and several sessions soaking.

That final grey finish is a miniscule passivated layer, it's rust inhibiting and can be painted directly over.

The before / after wheeling and finished images aren't of the same pieces, I'm still in the middle of doing some, but they were all in much the same condition to start with.

The 'silver' piece has been given a blow over of paint, as has the black shock holder.

I let the really greasey bits pre-soak in a bath of stong detergent (Traffic Film Remover) as the acid won't dissolve it by itself nor work on the areas beneath, plus too much chokes up the wire wheel needlessly. That's already been done in the 'before' pics.

BC.jpg

BC1.jpg

BC2.jpg

Cal.jpg

Cal1.jpg

Cal2.jpg

script.jpg

script1.jpg

shock.jpg

TFR.jpg

TFR1.jpg

TFR2.jpg

Wired.jpg

Attached Files:

caddyboet likes this.
  14. Zender Z20

Don't know what made me do it but gave the bearing carrier a lick of Kurust on top of the grey phosphoric passivate finish and got this almost painted appearance.

Like the look, but not sure how it'll stand up to the test of time though, likely give it a final protective coat of matt black.

The caliper came up brilliantly I thought, all the markings are as clear as a bell. Didn't Kurust that, wanted a natural metal look and as with the caliper frame it got a blow over with satin silver.

Hopefully get the piston etc. in later tonight.

fren.jpg

fren1.jpg

fren2.jpg

fren3.jpg

15. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Good luck with the build, I imagine it is quite a bit of fun tracking down the parts. I like tracking down race parts etc.

Not really helping you, but I thought I'd put a pic of the period Zender rear spoiler on my MK1 Hillclimb car for reference....has added bits for rear down force adjustment :-). The regulations ban wings, but allow spoilers if no gaps anywhere....hence no wings.
    IMAG0148.jpg

Zender Z20 likes this.
  16. Zender Z20

Cheers... Yup, some bits are very hard to find, it was bad enough back when I started it over 10 years ago, it's nigh on impossible now.

Photo saved to my cache, looks the doggies do-da's...

17. Adamss24 Forum Member

Sorry to clutter the thread but does anyone know if this I a zender spoiler ? It does have a lip bolted to it to make it deeper…Thank you ! F9175C21-974D-4B30-81C2-C183378B57E4.jpeg ED418166-F739-4DFD-A872-0B3F628AF17B.jpeg 7B50FCC9-F132-47C2-A8B6-15BD26C585BD.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  18. Zender Z20

There was a big bumper lower lip spoiler that closely mirrored the look of the original save for it extended out further.

It was completely a one piece thing, no upper / lower portion as yours seems to be.

It fitted in exactly the same way / used the same slots as the standard VW 2 piece affair does (plus some extra screws / gap filling pieces for the arch bottoms from recollection).

19. Zender Z20

Adamss24 likes this.
  20. Adamss24 Forum Member

Doesnt Look like mine…thanks ! Need to take it out and see what markings are on it !