mk2 1.6 more power!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by herrnuki, Jan 16, 2011.

1. chopperoli Forum Member

Make sure you get a GTI head though, really pays off to have those larger inlet valves... It'll run out of puff otherwise. This is from experience, messing with Mk2 carb engines (1.6 and 1.8)

Also highly recommended is a Weber DMTL carb and aftermarket air filter. The original air filter is WAY too small and creates breathing problems (eg sucking oily gas up from the cam cover vent) whilst the DMTL is easy to re-jet.

These things are very cheap (find a scrap early Mk2 8v GTI) and together will make a big difference:
    GTI head & cam (block up injector holes)
    GTI exhaust manifold & downpipe
    GTI distributor (different advance curve)

If it's a 1.6 and you feel like getting your hands really dirty then you can swap the 1.8 crank, rods and pistons in your original block too.

2. danster Forum Addict

If you are considering taking the head off or replacing with a complete GTI head assembly, it would be a good time to have a serious head skim done. Like 1.25mm!! The 1595cc engine is quoted as having a 9 : 1 compression ratio, when in actual fact it is nearer 8.2 : 1. This means installing a longer duration cam makes the lower rev range even worse than it is now.
    These engines are great and can be made to go very well if you address certain limiting factors.
    My old 1.6 with 38mm inlet valves made considerably more power than a std 2.0 8v.
    GTI gearbox is a worthwhile modification.

3. muppet9966 Forum Member

Wow danster!!
    That's great. I might have to bug you if I decide to install a GTI head!

4. herrnuki New Member

so which commpresion ratio could i expect if i skim for 1.25mm do i have to change fuel then?
    i was aiming for ~100hp from EZ block could i get that power with standard head just gti cam manfold and downpipe
    block is in great shape almost like new all four cilinders read 13bar +- 0.1 bar :)

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

gti manifold and downpipe on its own really helps them, plus can keep it for when a bigger engien goes in. need to fit a 1.8 carb/gti exhaust to match it. 1,.8 k-jet dizzy worth fitting along with the gti cam, has a better ignition curve so frees up a little more power. gti head is a lot of faff and you wont see as much benefit when put on a wee 1.6 for the effort involved, though head swap is a good thing as usually by now all the coolant channels in the gasket will be clogged up,. plus it makes fitting the manifold and downpipe way easier.

you dont have to change the carb either when running well the 2e2 will be able to handle the mods well enough. though if its tired and you cant be bothered to fix it a webber is an easy swap. just a case of is it really worth all the effort, look to your long term plans and i woudl only bother fitting stuff which can be kept i.e. gti exhaust

6. herrnuki New Member

ok guys i have been on junkjard and found a GTI engine but it misses manfold and downpipe guy who works there showed me downpipe and manfold from golf mk3 2.0 8v engine he said it would fit and it is 4-2-1 system shall i go for that or keep searching
    that engine GTI i found it has hidro head but he sais that camshaft will be ok for mechanical head to only i have to go to adjust valves dono how to say that on engl but i hope you understand me [:$]
    one more thing k-jet dizzy is that whole distributor or ???
    cheers :thumbup:

7. danster Forum Addict

The cams are not swappable from the hydro and mech tappet heads. They use differing base circles.
    The mk3 8v Gti head is no good, as it will not run the carb inlet manifold. (different gasket face)

The mk3 8v Gti exhaust manifold and downpipe could be used. You may have to make a link pipe to mate it too your existing exhaust.

K jet dizzy will be found on early mk1 & 2 gtis with the k jet system, later Digifant engines use a different dizzy that is no use to you.

8. herrnuki New Member

thx mate for this info thats what i need to know :)
    so 2.0 8v manifold and downpipe could be used :)
    tomorow i will go to buy that bits and k-jet dizzy i think it is on that mk2 gti engine i will also ask them to check if the engine is hydro or mechanical head beacose you cant realy know or maybe you can just by watching when you don't know year of the engine ?

9. rubjonny

mk3 2.0 manifold and downpipe will fit but you'll need a cat bypass pipe to mate it to the rest of the system, and it'll need a reducer to fit either 1.6 or 1.8 8v exhaust. 1.8 16v zaust will bolt right up to it though

edit: though by the sounds of it you're not in the UK, are CATs manditory where you live? if so i think the mk3 downpipe may even bolt directly to the mk2 cat...

10. herrnuki New Member

no mate cats arent mandatory here i dont have cat instaled on my mk2 i will just use peace of pipe and weld it to the rest of the system :)
    downpipe and manfolt found now only need to find mk2 gti cam so work can begin
    i will get the head off and skim it for like 1mm but i have to find original height of the head beacose before it was skimed once when it was rebuilt

11. danster Forum Addict

The minimum head height is meant to be 132.6mm.
    But to raise the compression a suitable amount will require more to be removed. If you can measure what you have at the moment we can work from there. :thumbup:

12. herrnuki New Member

thx mate for that info i will measure it when it is off the engine
    now i just need to find camshaft and work can begin :)
    I will post current height here when i have a chance to measure it

hmm which pipes for exaust will be good which size in mm ?

13. danster Forum Addict

50mm will be fine. :thumbup:

14. sam-ski Forum Member

I originally had a 1.6 driver with a Weber 32/34, GTI cam and K&N panel filter. It was pretty nippy for a first car.

The exhaust then snapped so i managed to find a 8v GTI manifold, downpipe and full scorpion system all for 50! After it had all that done it definatly felt a little quicker and would rev better top end.

I soon got bored of the gutless performance and decided to look for a 8v GTI engine to then run off my carb as it's such a simple swap.

Managed to find a 8V GTI Engine with a TSR 202 cam and TSR Pack-A Head, mated to my scorpion system and a GTI dizzy. It made alot of difference and it's still not been re-jetted! pulls alot better in every gear, especially when the cam comes in! It does however DRINK fuel.

I'm now sorting getting anABF in there, and to be honest wish I had just gone straight to that instead of the 8V GTI engine, however it was a good learning curve and was dirt cheap to do.

15. Drew21 Forum Member

you can spot hydraulic tappets as the camshaft looks to be missing a bearing, between 3 and 4 IIRC. Earlier mechanical shimmed tappet engines have this extra bearing on the camshaft.

you can spot a k-jet engine by the metering head, so instead of a single fuel rail attached to all the injectors each injector has its own fuel line running to the metering head.

as a rule of thumb, cars with quarter lights (ie a fixed triangle of glass) in the front doors tend to be k-jet and have mechanical tappets. Not concrete this one though

16. rubjonny

k-jet was fitted right up untill the cars switched to large glass door, then they went digi,. hydro tappets came in just before the switch, 1986 springs to mint? the cars went digi in early 88/late 87

17. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

Miss my mk2 driver, spent ages fiddling with it and it kept up with my mates GTi.
    Weber, 8v cam, home ported inlet and chopped hedgehog, homebrew exhaust, 14in wheels lowered 60mm went like stink and never missed a beat...[:^(]

18. walkinginperu Forum Member

Hi guys, I've been having a go at emulating mr hillclimbers excellent home porting thread on my 1.6 carb mk2 rocco engine. I've measured the combustion chambers and piston top using a burette, and the numbers it gave me (27.5cc and 20cc respectively), along with a compressed head gasket thickness of 1.74mm give me a CR of 8.19:1. Thought this might be of use to anyone about to have a skim done, but would also like to know if these numbers sound to be in the right ballpark, as it seemed a bit low to me! It will need a hell of a skim (2.1mm [:s]) to get it up to around 10:1 if the numbers are right.

19. danster Forum Addict

Well done Mr Peru. :thumbup:
    Those figures are close and comparte with the various 1595cc engines I have CC checked for compression ratio calculations.
    Proving that the VW factory figure is wrong.

20. walkinginperu Forum Member

I feel a lot better now the 1595 guru has checked the numbers :thumbup:. I've got one of the guys at work prepared with a big fly cutter for the milling machine so i can get some compression tomorrow :) Now my engine is looking like it might be ready within the next decade how do I join the 8v Appreciation Society? Is there an entrance exam?