Mk2 1.6 Pierburg Revving High on startup

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by topnotch, Oct 10, 2016.

1. topnotch Forum Member

Hi,

We have a 1.6 driver fitted with a pierburg factory carg. Its been running pretty well, starting on the button whenever etc, but recently, first thing in the morning now its getting colder, it revs its nuts off for a bit before settling down but the time you`ve driven to the end of the road, its ok.

If i come to start it later in the day (not having run it in the morning), it starts up and idles fine.

They look pretty complicated these carbs - is there something i should check/look at?

Cheers, Mike

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it is supposed to rev up for a few seconds, the exact time it will do so depends on the ambient air temp. if it takes till the end of the road though I think theres somethign up there. look at my 2e2 guide, in particular look at the 3/4 unit and the 2 valves round the back:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?124945

check they both get 12v (one or both of them should click on ignition on) if nothing check the fuses, assuming its CE2 look at fuse 15 for starters. if ce1 check 17 and 18

3. topnotch Forum Member

No worries, thanks for the link - I'll check the electrical supplies are ok.
    Yeah - takes quite a bit longer than I'd expect for it to drop - 5 mins of driving!
    Only happens when it's really cold in the morning

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

oh yeah thats definitly not right :lol: