Mk2 1.8 8v to 2l 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nayhorn, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nayhorn Forum Member

Right then.....

I've got the engine built back up using the 1.8 head and 2.0 bottom end, replaced the dizzy with a 2e one and.........

It won't start......

I'm not too sure if I've got the starter motor wired up correctly. I've tested the motor itself so I know that works.

Has anyone got a picture or a wiring diagram? Maybe I've got it set up wrong?

Thanks
    Nathan

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

simples, theres a large stud with 13mm nut, this is where the battery +ve and alternator wire goes. then there is a spade on it for the black/red trigger wire. it may have 2 spades, just try it on both. it'll either work, or it wont!

dont forget the gearbox needs a good earth too, best thing to do is fit later mk2 or mk3 rear engine -> box bolt they have a stud on the end for battery earth. early mk2 earths to the top metal bracket on gearbox which is a poor location

3. nayhorn Forum Member

nice one! il double check that sometime this week. Hopefully ive done something wrong thats easy to find. i was begining to get fed up with it yesterday and then it started raining which didnt help.

Cheers
    Nathan

4. nayhorn Forum Member

Right, I've been looking at the car today and found out that there is no power going to to the solenoid on the startor, and the wire look likes it goes in the main loom?
    And also, the fuel pump does cut off atall so the bores just get filled up with petrol, could this be becuase the injectors are sticking open?

Cheers

Nathan

5. milesmk2 Forum Member

The pump running constantly is more than likely you've fried your ECU, in which case you need a new one.

As for no power to the pump, check with a multimetre that you are getting voltage out of the wire when the key is turned all the way, and if not then check the wiring to the fuse box isnt broken and that the wiring to the ignition switch is all good.

6. danTbone Forum Member

have you put/checked the earth from battery to chassie to gear box is in good condition or connected properly because that can fry your ecu .
    if ecu knacked i have one for sale in the sale section.

7. rubjonny

aye sounds liek ecu is fried, sort out the box earth properly before you buy another. as i say if its early style upgrade to later type and use mk3 golf battery cables as better. may have to make up a chunky wire from -ve to stud on battery tray tho

with the starter problem, pull the ignition switch plug off and bridge the red to the red/black with some chunky wire. if starter cranks its the switch, if not its the wire or connection to starter thats the problem. make sure the spade is all buffed up clean and the plug is making a good contact, if its loose crimp it slightly with some pliers so it clips on firm. make sure its on the terminal marked '50' on starter as well.

if all that is ok follow red/black from ign switch to fusebox, if that looks good find red/black from fusebox to engine. see my fusebox faq

8. nayhorn Forum Member

Right, Ive got myself a new ECU ordered (thanks dantbone )

Im going to double triple and quadrouple check all the earth points. is there anything else i should double check before attempting to fire it up again?

Thanks,
    Nathan

9. nayhorn Forum Member

Right. Progress has been made. New ecu. Now got power to the starter.

Can somebody confirm the firing order.

Thanks
    Nathan.

10. rich81 Forum Member

1-3-4-2, no1 being at the cam belt side.

11. nayhorn Forum Member

Right im still having a few problems, ive got power everywhere i should have now. it turns over but, wont fire up,

What can i check? or try?

i want to get the thing running before i die but that doesnt feel like its going to happen at the minute.

Thanks
    Nathan

12. rich81 Forum Member

When you say you've got power everywhere you should have I assume you've checked and have now got a spark. Are the plugs wet with fuel after trying to start? Does it try to fire or nothing at all? Double check your HT leads on the distributor.
    [​IMG]

Image courtesy of this thread! http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195642

13. nayhorn Forum Member

Right then.

It's all back together and running now. Just gotta tidy up quite a few things but it's running again and soon be ready for the MOT.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in here and helped me out.

Cheers
    Nathan :)

14. rich81 Forum Member

Nice one what was the problem in the end? Good luck with the MOT

15. nayhorn Forum Member

Problem in the end was the firing order, think we must have got it wrong, went to it and set them up as per the picture and it fired up straight away.

16. nayhorn Forum Member

I've come up agaisnt some small problems now, could anyone tell me where this pipe goes, the one that i have blanked off

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Nathan

17. rubjonny

that goes to the top of the header tank. since its in a mk2 the header tank pipe originally goes to the radiator, which is why you have 2 connections for the same hose. if it was me id fit the mk3 shorter hose and blank the radiator off instead

18. nayhorn Forum Member

Right, it's running now but ive still got a few problems, I'm not sure if i'm running the right distributor, how can I tell if im usuing the 2e one? appart from the part numbers, becuase they are not visable?

Thanks

Nathan

19. rubjonny

look for 4 windows in the trigger wheel, if its only got 1 then its AGG/ADY

20. nayhorn Forum Member

Thanks for the information everyone, The problem truned out to be a abit that is just under the dizzy like a little bar, that had turned 180 degrees, so I've turned that back round and it runs sweet as a nut now, It goes in for its MOT next saturday morning so ill let everyone knows how it goes! thanks again for all the information everyone,