Mk2 1.8 8v to 2l 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nayhorn, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nayhorn Forum Member

not sure what type it is, i just noticed that it is a hydro clutch when i was looking at in in the donor car

2. nayhorn Forum Member

Right now I've got a donor engine, i want the alarm system taking off the car because its an aftermarket one and i think it's that draining the battery's, Would this be and easy enough job to do and home or would it be best to pay some one that knows what there doing with wiring? as i really don't want to f*ck the wiring up lol

cheers

Nathan

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pretty simple! find the brain and trace all the wires from it. cut it all out. you'llbe left with a couple wires in the car loom that were cut for the alarm, just join them back up matching the wire size and colour

4. nayhorn Forum Member

Right cheers for that, is the brain going to be in a particular place, or is it just a case of looking round till I've found it?

Nathan

5. rubjonny

could be anywhere under the dash, depends what the installer felt like on the day :lol:

6. nayhorn Forum Member

Ah right, I didn't know if there was a particular place they fitted them too, ill have a look next time i go round i go look at the car

7. nayhorn Forum Member

Does anyone know a good auto sparky?

Nathan

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  8. nayhorn Forum Member

Right another question, Can anyone tell me if the wiring loom from the passat gt will be the same as the golf wiring loom?

Nathan

9. rubjonny

if its a 1.8 its not exactly the same but it can be tweaked to fit if your car has 90spec fusebox. if its a 2.0 passat then its not going to work unless you put the mk3 head back on

i could strip and check a mk2 digifant loom and swap you for yours + a bit of cash my way if you like, i have a couple lying about from engine conversion looms I've done

10. nayhorn Forum Member

Its a 1.8 passat, Is the 1.8pb engine digifant loom then? (sorry I'm not too clued up on wiring)

Nathan

11. rubjonny

pretty sure that'll be a pb lump then, im not a massive expert on passats mind but 80% sure it'll be a pb engien so will work, just a case of mod the loom so its golf-friendly. got any pics?

12. nayhorn Forum Member

Ill get some pictures later, the loom is still in the car at the moment, where is the place to remove the loom? As in the fuse box that's in the car? or is there any other places?

Nathan

13. rubjonny

not sure on the passat but the mk2 ecu loom can be split from the main engine loom, it joins at a 5 pin plug in the scuttle and the double spade plug on the coil. pop those off and it all comes out!

main thing does it have a lambda? if so then its not quite the same. if you get it all from donor though you should be able to get it going. make sure it uses maf, isv and idle switches rather than a tps. if it uses a tps see if the tb looks like it'll fit a mk2 inlet (i.e. its a rectangle shape not square!)

14. nayhorn Forum Member

Right just been round to the garage and taken some photos.

Engine -
    [​IMG]

Throttle body -
    [​IMG]

And is this the plug that your on about for disconnecting the wiring?
    [​IMG]

15. nayhorn Forum Member

Right bit of an update stripped the wiring and then got to this stage

[​IMG]

Then followed all the wiring back and it all went to one point

[​IMG]

Is this now where i need to take it out from inside the car? or is there something I'm missing?

Nathan

16. rubjonny

looks liek its different in a passat then in a mk2 golf there is a 5 pin plug next to the ecu where you can split the ecu part of the loom from the bay part of the loom. looks like on passat you have to pull the whole loom out together so more of pain in the rear.

the engine looks like its a pb though seems throttle has the idle and wot switch setup plus it has an isv

17. nayhorn Forum Member

I think there might be I'll get some more pictures tomorrow. Is it just like 5 single different coloured wires going into and then out of the plug?
    Also if this isn't the case do you think it would be a good idea to try and repair the loom that is in the golf already?

Nathan

18. rubjonny

that was what i was getting at, you can easily remove the whole ecu loom from your car to check it over without unplugging it from the fusebox. the passat loom is going to be effort to swap over

19. nayhorn Forum Member

Right all of the wiring is out of the passat finally, The scrap man is coming some time soon to pick the passat up, The i can get cracking with the golf, Whilst the engine is out obviously im oging to be replacing stuff can anyone see anyhting from this list i have missed out?
    1- Cam belt Kit
    2- Water pump
    3- Spark plugs, dizzy, leads,
    4- Clutch kit
    5- Vacum hoses
    6- Thermostat
    7- Head gasket
    Is the anything else people would recommend?

Nathan

20. rubjonny

rocker gasket, alt+pas belts, big jar of elbow grease, sacrifice to the blood god, money for swear jar