Mk2 1.8T Cruise Control

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Gloves88, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Gloves88 Forum Member

Seeing the cruise control thread in the mk2 section got me thinking.....what would it take to get cruise control working on my mk2 1.8T?...

I have an AUM 1.8T with the DBW throttle and have already wired in the brake and clutch ecu signals so looking at the mk4 wiring diagram, I think all I need to do is connect up the stalk controls and activate the ecu to get it working.....

Am I right in thinking that the when retro fitting the mk4 stalk (onto a mk4) all you're doing wiring wise is linking into the black ecu plug?

I have managed to source a mk2 cruise control stalk which seems to have the same functions as the mk4 one: On, off, set, reset. Am I right in thinking that these functions are really just switches? or does the mk4 stalk have an "ecu" type brain in it?

I also presume that unlike the old mk2 system, which required a cruise control unit, the mk4 system is controlled completely through the ecu?

Welcome your thoughts on the matter.....cheers.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes all you need to do is plug your stalk into the black plug on the loom, then activate the ecu nowt more is required thanks to it being DBW :)

the stalk just contains a few switches, so with some thought the mk2 stalk will probably work but I need to try to get my head around what the extra wires do on the stalk

3. Gloves88 Forum Member

Pulling this out the depths of the forum but only just looked into it again....

Think I've figured this out. To wire up the mk2 cruise control stalk to the mk4 AUM ecu I'm pretty sure this is all that's required (customary paint wiring diagram):
    WiringDiagram.jpg

That's based on mk2 switch which is as follows:
    IMG_20140406_211540.jpg

And the mk4 golf cruise wiring which is as follows:
    IMG_20140406_211701.jpg

The only thing I'm not sure of is how to get the cruise light to come on. I'm running mk2 clocks so I'll have put in my own light but I'm not sure where to get the signal from.

Not sure how the ecu speaks to the mk4 clocks normally? Does anyone know where/how I can find out where the cruise control "on" light signal comes from? Think it would be handy to have some from of indicator on the dash.

Also should you spot anything wrong above please feel free to point it out :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2021
  4. rubjonny

it'll be thru the can-bus I assume, theres no separate wire for it that I can find. the light in the aum/auq diagram is connected direct to the clock brain not a pin on the back so pretty sure its like this

5. Gloves88 Forum Member

Was having a look through documents last night as well and started to think the same.

Thanks for having a look/confirming. I guess I could add some circuitry of my own to the "set" wire but not sure it's worth it. Any chance I could have a copy of the diagram detailing the instrument light connections please? I don't seem to have that info.

I came across some info that stated the first mk4s with cruise only had a light that came on when the cruise switch was in the ON position (regardless of being set or not). Not sure if I'll put this in but could this be achieved by doing the following?:
    Withlight.jpg

(12v rated LED or LED and resistor) (Brown being Earth)

My electrical knowledge isn't the best.......

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2021
  6. rubjonny

yeah that should work fine, for the light diagram isnt much to see really if you look at g4aumauqecu.pdf its on the last page 'K31'

7. Gloves88 Forum Member

Just thought I'd finally update this....

IT WORKS! :)

Wired as per above, then activated cruise using VCDS and my cruise control works just as it should in a mk4 only with the mk2 stalk.

If anyone's interested in a full write up I'll put one together.

benthejettaman and rubjonny like this.
  8. rubjonny

9. Gloves88 Forum Member

Cheers - I'll throw together something with a bit more detail as it really is pretty straight forward and pretty cheap too.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

Nice one! I've never seen a Mk2 cruise stalk, never even occurred to me that there would have been an option for it, lol, so much so I bought a cruise switch for a mk4 with a view to adapting it.
    Anyone got a Mk2 cruise switch that they would like to part with?

11. rubjonny

ebay.de is your best bet :)

12. benthejettaman Forum Member

whats german for cruise switch?

13. c_a_r_t_e_r Forum Member

"VW Golf 2 Tempomat Schalter" on ebay.de. Quite pricey, but I wonder how many of these there are left in the world not attached to a working MK2?! I wonder if I should get one myself for future use.... ;)

<edit> Oh, CE2 with the hazard on the indicator switch. Expect CE1 to be even rarer?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  14. Andy947 Forum Addict

Just picked up a MK2 Cruise stalk, will get it wired up to my 24v as above :thumbup:

15. Gloves88 Forum Member

I didn't know they did them either until a post in the mk2 section asking about connecting cruise to an 8v came up....got me thinking about whether or not I could get the switch to work with the mk4 stuff.

16. D-9

d-9 New Member

When wiring up the mk2 switch to a mk4 ecu, you will probably have to wire the cancel line up so that it powered when the cruise switch is on, and not when it is off, as the mk2 switch probably doesnt have the soft-cancel position of the mk4.

Anyone know if there is a pre-90 cruise stalk?

17. rubjonny

yes you can get pre-90 cruise stalks, in both early and late style. finding them is tricky, since the 90spec stalk is also used on the corrado and passat which is probably why you see so many

18. Rafa New Member

Dear Rubjonny,
    My car is a Golf MK2 GTI 1.8T AUM. I have installed the cruise control in the MK2 lever. I got it activated in the engine control unit; I connected the brake and clutch switches but it seems not to he working. According to the measure blocks the brake is always activated even if I disconnect the switch. Could the problem be related to the fact that my car has no ABS nor ESP? Would it be possible to delete the ABS in the control unit as it happens with the SAI and the Lambda probe?

19. rubjonny

the switch position measuring block will work regardless of abs/esp, sounds like something isnt connected quite right. you do actually have brake light bulbs in right? as the ecu needs to see an earth thru the brake lights on wire when pedal isnt pressed (earths thru the bulbs)

20. Rafa New Member

I don't have it connected to the brake lights.
    it is connected only to ECU , 56 /121 black red and
    yellow white 55/121 thanks