mk2 16v central locking issue

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by daniel99weed, Feb 17, 2018.

1. daniel99weed New Member

My central locking has stopped working, after testing the pump and the vacuum pipes i have removed the drivers door card, the connecting rod with the u bolt adjuster between the actuator and door lock is not connected at the door lock end, i can't see/feel what it should clip/fit too and wonder if there is something snapped off or broken that it should fit too. does anyone have a picture or diagram of how the rod should connect and where/what too? any help appreciated, i can't afford to take much more skin off my arms trying to feel where the rod connects.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can you take a picture of this U bolt you mention? doesnt sound factory to me.

the OEM setup has a switch unit in the door with a solid rod hooked up to the plastic finger on the lock block, the door pin rod goes to this as well

3. daniel99weed New Member

Thanks. Ive managed to fix it, the rod is in two parts and has a u bolt adjustment clamp. I ended up having to glue the rod into the plastic finger as it seems very worn, fiddly job but all working now. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rubjonny

how strange, maybe a later runout thing?

with the finger what it could be is the retaining thingy has snapped off, the rod wont stay in on its own without. hard to explain, but this pic should make it clear:
    [​IMG]

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mine had a aftermarket actuator fitted so the central locking worked off the alarm fob that could explain the extra parts

6. daniel99weed New Member

I think the retainer has snapped off looking at that, do you have a part number for that?

7. rubjonny

8. rubjonny

Oh and you need to take the lock block off the door to fit it, the skirt on the base needs to be sandwiched between the lock block and door skin else it'll keep falling off. be sure you have a proper allen bit set to get the lock block bolts off, they are tight and easily rounded with cheapy allen keys

9. daniel99weed New Member

I think the retainer has snapped off looking at that, do you have a part number for that?

10. daniel99weed New Member

Thanks, Ive taken the lock block off for a better look, Ill order the bit and see how long the temp repair lasts.