Mk2 16v Stolen!!! Now Recovered

Discussion in 'Stolen' started by themylward, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Squires New Member

Glad you got it back and seems like an easy repair :thumbup:

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Brilliant!

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome news, you must be a happy bunny. :thumbup:

4. Gup16v Forum Member

Excellent news mate, you must be chuffed!!

now fit that immobiliser!!!

5. Prawn Forum Member

this is awesome news, proper feel good story! :)

really happy for you mate :)

Scary to think this kind of thing is happening all around us though, you always read about it and think it'll never happen to you, but this is somewhere I pass through regularly.

Not safe anywhere these days!

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Great news, really happy for you :thumbup:

7. themylward Forum Member

Thank you everyone. I am chuffed to bits, to say the least! It still hasn't properly sunk in yet. Can't wait to get it back so I can fix the damage and get behind the wheel again. And fit an immobiliser of course...

I will update with photos asap.

Lee, I owe you one mate.

8. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

fantastic news so glad to hear you've got your car and pretty much in one piece, those thieving scumbags need there balls cutting off with a rusty spoon.

9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Awesome news! :thumbup:

If fitting an immobiliser might take you some time, then consider fitting a Snap-off boss (if you've got an aftermarket steering wheel, that is.

My old Mk2 was nicked (and sadly written off), even though it had an immobiliser fitted (not long done, which always had me suspicious as to whether it was targeted by someone who knew how to bypass it quickly...).

Anyway, new Mk2 immediately had a Snap-off boss fitted (Momo wheel). A lack of steering wheel is a huge disadvantage to thieving scum! :lol:

If you don't fancy that then also consider removing select relays/fuses overnight until the immobiliser is fitted (TBH, I used to pull a relay anyway (wheel removed, Cat 1 Toad, and relay removed...yes, I was paranoid!)

themylward likes this.
  10. Squires New Member

No worries mate, to many thieving scumbags around these days, it's a nice motor to don't forget pics when it's all done:thumbup: I'm still on the hunt for a mk2 just seen rot boxes overpriced atm

11. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

This is just incredible that someone on this very forum spotted it and that you've got (or getting it) back. What an amazing outcome.

I'm sure people on here will be keen to help out with any bits you need to rectify any damage.

12. ianw64 Paid Member Paid Member

Well chuffed for you mate, sounds like the damage is not as bad as it could have been.
    Well done Squires for finding it and reuniting owner with car.

13. vr6smith Forum Member

Fantastic news! What wxxxxxs to do such a thing. Why?! Just shows people's mentality these days.

Really glad you got the car back.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Well pleased you are getting it back. Always good when this happens as in most cases the cars are never seen again or stripped.

15. themylward Forum Member

Thanks for the tips Stu :thumbup: I will definitely look in to that! Anything that makes it safer from thieving hands is a good thing in my book. It will be kept in my Dads garage for now anyway, until it's back on the road.

I spoke to the Police earlier for an update and the answer I got was "we're not sure whats happening at the moment, call the recovery yard". So I called the yard and they said "the police haven't released it yet, you can't have it back until that happens". The forensics was done a week ago so I don't know what the hold up is. I'm getting very impatient knowing it's just sitting there lol

Thanks everyone for the kind words :thumbup:

StuMc likes this.
  16. themylward Forum Member

Still no word from the police. Can anyone shed any light on what may be happening? Tried phoning again and got the same answers.

Also, I'm confused about the costs I will incur when I do eventually get the car back. The Police officer I dealt with when it was recovered said that the Police pay the recovery charge (150) and also the daily cost (20) while it is in their 'custody'. Then after a conversation with the recovery driver she changed her mind and said I would have to pay the recovery charge and the daily fee after the Police have finished with it (they only pay the 20 a day until it is released).

As I have said previously, I was not insured for theft so I have not claimed and my insurance will not cover the costs. It seems very unfair that I will have to pay at least 150 to get my own car back. I didn't even want it to be recovered, I was just going to put some wheels on it and drive it homelol

17. themylward Forum Member

It's back! Looking a bit sorry for itself though :( And so am I after being forced to pay 270 for recovery:o Having tidied up the inside (the entire contents of the boot was all over the car) I have found that half my tools, my sat nav and tax disc are all gone. Worse than all of that though, the btards have nicked the case of beer that was in the boot!! lol

The car has only been driven once, from Alton to Aldershot (around 12 miles I think). They've managed to smash both front wheels and then tried to change one of them, but were foiled by my locking wheel nuts. The've used my tools to try to break one of them off. The key was in the ashtray!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's been left under trees for the last 4 months so it is covered in moss and crud, so will get a damn good wash. The damage is all repairable, so that is exactly what I am going to do. It's not nice seeing it like this but I'm chuffed to have it back :thumbup:

18. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

Pleased to see it back and looks like all the difficult bits to repair are still there so a manageable fix:thumbup:

19. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Great news glad you've finally got it back . What's with police and recovery ? My sister in had a bump pulling off the drive and we had a hard time stopping them ring for recovery ,had to kick wheel straight to get it to reverse back onto drive.
    Glad you got it back now you're a golfer with a two handicap lol

20. WillG

WillG Forum Member

So much for armour door plates eh [8(]

Doesn't look like they've scratched the paint/dented it anywhere so I guess that's a big plus.