Mk2 16v Stolen!!! Now Recovered

Discussion in 'Stolen' started by themylward, Nov 16, 2013.

1. muppet9966 Forum Member

Glad to see this back.
    Looks like the armoured door plates have done their job, the handle gave way

2. Stevepd Forum Member

Good news, wheeler dealers have converted worse!.

3. Chrisrpal Events Team

Well done for getting the car back mate.

I recommend getting either a Clifford or Toad Cat 1 alarm system. Also nice to see the car wasn't stripped to a bare shell and also the Recaro's are still there.

Looks like you'll need a new steering wheel column as it probably doesn't lock anymore.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  4. themylward Forum Member

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

A quick update on this... I have now replaced the steering column, tube and ignition loom so it now starts with a key again. Also done the door handles (matching keys to the ignition). It is running like poo at the moment as it was overdue a service before it was nicked and the exhaust is blowing badly. It's louder than my black golf which has a mahooosive magnex oval dustbin on it (will be going soon)!!

So, the next jobs are to replace a ruined power steering belt, which has about 2 inches of slack in it :o i'm not sure how it stays on to be honest! The power steering doesn't really work at all. Then i need to tackle the heater matrix, which is now leaking. Then replace the boot lock, new exhaust, good service and tune up. After that, fingers crossed, it will be back on the road [:D]

Chrisrpal likes this.
  5. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Sounds like a plan:thumbup: glad the old girls going back together ok hope all continues to go ok:p

Chrisrpal likes this.
  6. Sirguydo

How's it going?

7. themylward Forum Member

The car is now officially back on the road [:D]

Still needs a few bits doing - the exhaust centre box is cracked beyond repair, so rather than fit a new section I will be upgrading to a stainless system. I'm pretty set on a 3 box Jetex system, just trying to find the best price etc...
    Also need a new drivers door as the top corner has been pulled out and the skin is rippled where the handle was ripped off.

I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone that has helped with this, whether it has been with technical help, parts (special thanks to Rooster :thumbup:) or encouragement/advice. It is greatly appreciated :thumbup: I'm proud to be a member of such a fantastic club.

And an even bigger thank you to Squires for finding the car in the first place :thumbup: I wish you luck with your mk2. If there is anything I can ever help with feel free to drop me a message!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Chrisrpal likes this.
  8. Sirguydo

Great news :thumbup::clap: glad it's back on the road:thumbup::clap: good to see another mk2 being loved[:D]

Enjoy the summer with the windows down and roof open[:D] for our 1 or 2 days of sunshinelol

9. el-tel New Member

Hey bud! I have only just found this thread as don't get on that often, apart from trawling classifieds for spares! I was so glad to hear it got returned as saw on Facebook it had, then couple of weeks back I saw it parked up in it's rightful place in the layby! As I am the other 16v local Mk2 owner! I have the Royal Blue 5 door and was gutted when I heard it had been nicked as I was away that weekend with mine on the drive. If you ever need a hand with anything, gimme a shout as myself and a mate of mine (who has an 8v Mk2) are normally tinkering with something on them! All the best!
    Tel

Chrisrpal likes this.
  10. Chrisrpal Events Team

Good time to get some armoured door plates, delocked rear door handles fitted to front and a really good alarm system!!

11. themylward Forum Member

Cheers mate! I think I just saw you go past me outside my house... It was a royal blue mk2 5dr. If it was you may I say your car sounds lovely! Looks great too!

Chrisrpal likes this.
  12. themylward Forum Member

Indeed! The alarm system is the first job after the exhaust. I hadn't thought about de-locked handles though, so cheers for the tip!

Until the security system is fitted the car is 'immobilised' whenever it's parked. Obviously it could still be broken into but it won't be going anywhere unless it's towed away.

13. Chrisrpal Events Team

Good stuff.

Yes really easy to fit rear door handles to the front. Just remove middle pin from both front and rear handles, change over the front mech to of rear door handle and re-fit pin. Also armoured door plates is a winner unless you go for the audi door handles. You want genuine door handles not chinese crap as they are awful.

I sugest a TOAD or clifford Cat 1 alarm system. Also a tracker is a good idea. You can get a cheapy one for 100 and works on a GSM mobile phone network, so no month service charge. However you need to use the sim card at least once a month otherwise the mobile network will cut off your sim card. I have a GSM alarm in my house and need to do the same, test the house alarm once a month to keep the sim active.

Another good idea is a removeable steering wheel. ALso if you have had an engione conversion done such as the abf 16v using digifant. If wired up correctly you can use the chipped key function with transponer loop over ignition barrel. If you want to know more about and in how to do it then PM me. I have done this and works a treat.

14. el-tel New Member

Haha! Cheers for that! Yeah that is indeed me, the 4 branch and Milltek combo work well, can be a little loud sometimes though!
    Some useful tips there too Chrisrpal!!

Chrisrpal likes this.