Mk2 16v Suspension removal and refurb

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Eddie Tuke, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Eddie Tuke Forum Member

Im about to get ny rolling shell back from an extensive programme of work... Other stuff done. Underneath next. Has anyone written up the best way to strip out the suspension, change the bushes and reassemble as standard on this forum or elsewhere , please? Thanks in advance.
    Eddie

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

To take the front off the subframe including arms, you’ve got 8 bolts on each side. So you just undo them all, press out the bushes which is nice and easy. Press new ones in.

the rears are super easy, but the rear bushes in the beam, are a bit of a bigger to get out and in again.

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I could be shot for saying this but if I remember correctly the Haynes manual for the Mk2 has good enough detail on this - this by no means applies to everything in the manual mind you.

You can also buy in the wishbones with the bushings pre-installed but if I recall, the quality can be sketchy and Sam is probably right in getting the old one's out and new one's pressed - a press tool makes quick work of this is if you have one or can get access to one or just take them to a workshop and ask them to do it.

If you can get them, I recommend Lemforder bushings, I've used them in a number of cars and I've not had an issue with them

If you're going for standard 16V suspension then I recommend Bilstein/Sachs/Boge in that order for shocks - get decent front and rear top mounts /rubber as well if you need them.

The rear suspension beam bushings are pain in the nads and there's no other way to describe it - there are threads on how to remove them - in my case I had to heat the S**t out of them and then use a pneumatic saw to cut them out and then a press and loads of lube to get the new one's in - I don't think I could get Lemforder gear for that job and those bushings were Febi-Bilstein - not my ideal choice but as time goes on we are more limited on the manufacturer's/availability.

Hope this helps

4. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

If you replace rear beam bushes with poly type i.e powerflex to name one obviously more expensive and depends what you want to fit but just use the supplied lube and simply push in with your fingers (ooh er) job done.

5. costel1969

Once again I think I can hear Finbar Saunders going phnaar phnaar!! [:D][:D]

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

How did yours handle on poly axle bushes?
    I've had mixed reports.

@costel1969, you're a bad influence lol

7. costel1969

Well you said to get a bit of banter going T. so I'm finding inspiration in some old Viz magazines I found recently - I used to buy them in Heathrow when flying from/to Canada, crack me up they do.

8. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I got Lemforder front wishbones, they come with the bushes pre-installed. Swapped the big bush for an R32 one using a press though. I can see peoples concern over the "quality" and no doubt the newer design was somewhat influenced by cost, but VW clearly though it was safe, as did TUV and Lemforder. Plus unless you get a really nice set of 2nd hand ones they're going to weakened by rust anyway!

Drilled out the rubber in the rear beam bushes then hacksawed/drifted the sleeve out. Little bit scary sawing in the beam but quite easy to remove after that.
    Put Lemforder ones back in which was a pain to be honest. Creative use of threaded bar and spacers. If i were to do it again I'd just buy the tool and save the faff.

9. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Mine's still sat on axle stands on my drive mot failure and a bit of a list of stuff to change plus I'm renovating a house I've inherited so the golf is on the back burner at the moment