MK2 2.5" Exhaust systems. They're Here!

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

Hi Ditchyboy, we were going to do the single pipe option when we made the jig, but it really needs some thought beforehand so we can get a feel for the style that we're trying to achieve. I've seen a couple of styles but they all look a bit fashionable, rather than enduring classic. Do you have any pictures that you can share?

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

Regarding the straight pipe here's my mk2 vr6 running a 2.5" OMP Grp N system:

Not a great pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only place that now sells this system is here:

http://www.gt2i-competition.com/Ligne-GRN-VW-Golf-2-1-8-GTI-16S-p-14038-c-6_244.html#FP

This system doesn't appear that often so if anyone would like pics of the system (tail pipe or the system under the car itself) please let me know as it's a Grp N system so hopefully might be of some use to people on here

3. thegave Forum Member

I like the 2.75" straight cut, it looks just like the OE item but bigger. Doubt anyone would notice. But rolled tips are just so tidy..

4. Ditchyboy Forum Member

i dont have any pics im afraid, i was going to get a twin like most people as i had a mk2 big bumper so wanted it pretty OEM but due to unforseen circumstances my 20vt will now be going in a small bumper driver i have, this means i wanted a single performance system to keep it OEM and a real sleeper. The other thing was i am not sure the teins sit that well in the cut outs for small bumper drivers as they dont seem very wide thats why i wanted the single.

5. Trackslag

I see what you mean. Problem with staying single pipe for the sleeper look is that it'll look way more sporty due to the massive jump from a standard Driver single pipe. I'm fairly sure that the valance cut out is the same size as the bumper cut out, so placement shouldn't be an issue.
    We'll still be doing a single exit so the choice is ultimately yours :)

Forgot to add the thanks for G-man sharing his pictures :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. Trackslag

The 2.75" is my fave so far. Rolled tips are very neat but they're beginning to look a bit 90's, as styles seem to be favouring a sharper look at the mo... decisions, decisions....

7. jaswan Forum Member

im sure you had some pics of a helios blue mk2 with a single exit tailpipe?

:)

Jason.

8. Trackslag

Indeed I did Jaswan lol
    [​IMG]

Sneak peak of the attention to detail with the hangers below. We're about ready to make the jig for these so I'll have some proper tail pipe picks very soon :)

[​IMG]

9. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

constaant sneak preveiw lol are you going to do what VWH are going to do and offer the OEM exhaust in custom sizes? i am for example am running a 2.5 inch down pipe from Q penq on my 20v to a full 2.5 in system. they offer a direct oem stainles back box but not in 2.5" will you?

What are you loking at doing?

10. Trackslag

Hi Baz, that's all been decided. The systems are 2.5" and the tail pipes will be offered in single and twin options. It's looking like the twin tail pipes will be 2.75" but the single exit version will be looked at when we make the jig (over the next week)
    No plans for different pipe sizes. (2.5" only) Our system will use nuts, bolts, flanges and a gasket to connect the two halves together, so if you wanted to buy just a back box, you would have to get your end fitted with a matching flange.
    We don't have any plans for making a direct fit back box only.

11. Trackslag

Here's what we've got so far.

[​IMG]

This is the master part. We're currently in the middle of making accurate jigs, from which we'll make the first production system.
    We'll then fit one to the black car pictured earlier in the thread and get some photos posted up.
    As you can see in the picture, we've opted for a 2 bolt flange fitting for user friendliness and longevity. The internal sleeve design can become stuck together and often gets damaged when you try and part them. It's near impossible to make them round again and they never seal properly again, hence why we've used flanges.
    You'll also notice that we've added another hanger to the back end. It became apparent that the ageing mounting points on our beloved Mk2's may have seen better days so the additional mount shares the task.
    I'll update with the single exit option as soon as I have the pictures.

12. thegave Forum Member

It looks like a work of art, Matt.

Is the price posted on the website pretty much set?

13. Trackslag

Thank you :)
    The price of 395 is pretty much set, however free fitting kits should lighten the load for Clubgti forum members and users.
    I'm really looking forward to getting one of these on the car. The old system has an incredibly heavy cherry bomb style centre section (believe it or not, it's called a Muff Diver...) so it'll be a good weight reduction also.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  14. jaswan Forum Member

Looks good mate.

hows it sound?

Jason.

needs one less box in it haha.

15. Ditchyboy Forum Member

looking forward to seeing the finished single pipe version

16. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Is that how the single box is going to be with the side exit? that's dam cool.

17. Trackslag

We're fitting mine tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.
    It'll be interesting to see how it sounds. I'm going to try and get some footage on Youtube but can't promise anything, as my phone has died (xmas day as well!!)
    Single pipe exit pictures still to come, but I'm hoping that we'll have time to look at them tomorrow.
    Lol Baz, that's the centre box :thumbup:

18. Trackslag

The exhaust went on fine but I'm going to have to borrow the missus's phone tomorrow and get some pics in daylight. At tickover there's none of that awful drone that rattles the neighbours china and it lets you know that it's there when under load. I'm confident that it will pass a stationary 98db test on any setup, be it turbo'd or n/a. I'm also hoping that it will pass the 88db days at Croft on a turbo setup and in which case, the exhaust would pay for itself over a handful of track days.
    Result!

19. Trackslag

20. Trackslag

Hi everyone, now that the twin exit pipes are sorted we can look at the single exit option. The picture below shows a complete twin exit back box next to the template that we'll use for the single exit. You'll notice in the picture above, that the twin pipes have a very subtle angle toward the kerbside so the single exit option would do the same. We could angle the pipe like the helious blue one shown earlier or point it toward the floor but you run the risk of getting sound effects similar to a leaf blower, lol
    [​IMG]

The other option to make it look right, would be to re-shape the valance and bumper cutouts to be rounded rather than rectangular, just like a Mk1?