mk2 8v not starting

Discussion in '8-valve' started by eddiedebo, Aug 6, 2018.

1. eddiedebo Forum Member

There were a couple of MK3's in the local scrap yard the other week so will check for a 99 relay tomorrow.

The original wiper stalk obviously broke. As far as I can tell because I have the hazard switch on the dash, a replacement stalk for a reasonable price is not easy to find. So that's probably why they replaced it with one that doesn't have the MFA button. But potentially it could be the wrong stalk all together? or would that just not even fit?

ok thanks will forget about reverse lights for now then if not required for MOT.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If it fits its correct type of stalk, you cant for example fit a 90spec stalk.

there are 2 types of pre-90 stalk early thin type which are the same as mk1 golf, and chunky 88-90 type. they are both the same fitment to the ignition lock housing and loom so swap either way, just they look different. you can mix n match early & late stalks no problem, it'll just look a bit weird :lol:

As you say the pre-90 chunky MFA stalk can be tricky to get as its mk2 & scirocco specific, whereas the 90spec stalk is also found on corrado and passat so slightly more common

3. eddiedebo Forum Member

Picked up a 99 relay. Checked the fusebox FAQ and I've put it in slot 10 replacing a 19 relay. Still no wipers. Checked I have power to the relay and the fuse. So unless there's anything else to check it must be the stalk?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do you hear the relay click when intermittent wipers are selected?

next check the plug on the wiper motor, you should see 12v between the grey/black and brown wires :)

5. eddiedebo Forum Member

Wipers are sorted! Checked power to the motor and it all looked good. So I gave the motor a hit with a hammer and they sprung into life, albeit very creaky. Oiled it all up and they are now running smoothly.

I fixed (bodged) the horn by sticking one terminal with some gaffer tape as I think a part is missing. But it works!

I'm pretty much done now at last.

Just the brakes left to do. I've bled them 5 times and the pedal is still soft and brakes only bite if you pump them. I have a new master cylinder on the way which hopefully will fix that.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018