Mk2 ABF Golf Electrical Issues (Wipers, blinkers and blower)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Riviculous, May 27, 2019.

1. Riviculous New Member

Hi there,

I'm just about done finishing my 1.8 KR (87) --> ABF (94) conversion and the engine is running great apart from a most likely broken ISV. That's however not the biggest issue.

I got a weird problem with the electrics including the blower, wipers (front and rear), blinkers and hazards.
    The blower works fine when you turn the ignition to step 1 but when you fully turn the ignition on the X-relay starts buzzing like crazy. The blower does barely run and the front and rear wipers struggle to move. The blinkers won't work either, seems like the relay is stuck (blinker light stays on and no clicking sound from relay). Headlights and high beams works normally though.

The issue seems to be rather random since everything might work well without any problems one day and the next it might struggle with all the issues mentioned above. Smells like a ground issue to me but this far every ground I've checked has been in good shape. I've also replaced the X-relay and the ignition key bottom (white connector) without any difference.

I'm running out of ideas and some help would be really much appreciated so that I finally can get this old beast back on the road!

Cheers

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Have you tried an ignition switch?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

since the headlights work fine this suggests ignition switch and wiring is ok as those are powered direct from the ignition switch via the yellow/black wire back to fusebox then thru the headlight switch. so I think you may have a bad fusebox. but if you have a headlight relay kit this might get enough voltage from the bad switch to trigger your relays even though the x-relay isnt liking it I guess.

to double check unplug the ignition switch and loop a wire between the red and yellow/black wires. if relay clicks on normally and everything works, double check ignition wiring or replace the ignition switch. if not, the fusebox is probably at fault or you're unlucky with X-relief relays. VW have repalced the 18 relay with 100 in the mk4 and newer models now use a 644.

with the indicators check fuse 17, and look at the wirign from fusebox to stal;k. the black/blue wire supplies the ignition live to the stalk which then powers indicators. I assume hazard lights work as normal?

4. Riviculous New Member

Thanks for the excellent replies guys! I remember the car burning through Ignition switch bottoms/connectors years ago, so it makes sense that the ignition switch could be at fault as you said. I’m going to try it out!

Also, the hazards do not work either while the issues are active, cluster lights up only, exactly as the blinkers.

Cheers

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sorry for some reason I thought it was a 90spec CE2 fusebox, since its a CE1 the indicator fuse is #19. Has it had an alarm or immobiliser fitted? perhaps its this which has gone faulty since its affecting 2 different circuits, indicators are fed from the black wire on ignition switch coil live and x-relay is controlled by the X circuit black/yellow. I'd check the fusebox for any signs of corrosion while you're under there.

for the earth look on the headlight loom for the thick brown wire from the battery. on the end of this is a white 4 way spade block for the main earths. You should have 1 earth from the back of the white engine loom, one from the dash wiring and another from the fuel pump here. out the back of it there is another earth wire with spade, this goes to the claw above the fusebox.

there is a big black plug to the left of the drivers footwell where the fusebox section of dash loom plugs into the central section, worth a check here too as all the hazard switch wiring runs thru it.

6. Riviculous New Member

No alarm or immobiliser has been fitted on the original engine nor the donor. The ce2 to ce1 wiring was done with the help of your fusebox faq writeup (awesome job with that one btw!).

The car had been resting outside for over 5 years before I started the ABF conversion and the issues were not there before it was parked IIRC. I’m going to give the grounds and ignition a good check when I have the time.