Mk2 autobox

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by mk2 nas, Aug 14, 2020.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

i have a recently purchased 1.8 driver that I'm doing up.ive drove it a couple of times it's a genuine 86k car.the problem I'm having whatever gear I select there seems to be too much of a delay in power to wheels.so I pull off at a junction increase revs not a lot happens then jolt
    And movement.i know there could be wear to at least one cv (inner)would this cause so much delay in drive.thanks

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The autobox just being awful? I’ve not driven one but I have driven older autos and the gear changes are exactly like that. Sadly :(

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok I thought they were a bit old school on the autos but will get used to it.ill change all the cvs it may tighten things up a bit.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah if you have a lot of rotational play in the CV that wont help, same goes for any rotational play in the gearbox output flanges as well. had a really knackered GTI box which was similar, really awfull jerk on/off throttle

5. Megaross Forum Member

Sounds exactly like my autobox. And funnily enough I've checked the CV joints just yesterday (split boots on MOT to replace, checking I didn't need joints too) all fine.

The autobox is just "of it's day" I plan to swap to a manual eventually.