Mk2 Golf 16v cold start problem

Discussion in '16-valve' started by mbradbrook, Mar 23, 2008.

1. mbradbrook Forum Member

I've read loads on the forums about this but i'm still having problems. The problem is that after the car has been left for a day it struggles to start from cold. it turns over for ages before starting. When it has run for 5 minutes it starts no problem. I have replaced the ISV and also the ISV sender which cured an idle problem (the car now idles perfectly) and i have fitted a new distributor due to the old one leaking oil. I'm not sure where to go now - has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Matt

2. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Cold Start Valve (CSV)? This is also known as the 5th injector. It aids cold engine start ups by injecting an extra conical mist of fuel.

It's blue and to the right of the head, bolted on with two hex bolt thingys. Try removing it, blocking the hole with a rag and holding the CSV into a clear jar. When the engine is stone cold, get a friend to start the car, whilst you check that the CSV sprays for a few seconds on start up.

3. mbradbrook Forum Member

Thanks for post - i'll give it a try. Its very strange - occasionally it will fire up instantly but that isn't very often. When i changed the temp sender and ISV it started first turn but since then it has been a bit dodgy. Do you think that this could be a dodgy earth somewhere? My other thoughts are that the meter head needs a clean, the WUR and the fuel accumulator could be knackerd. Does the CSV make a big difference - i've read that quite a few people have disconnected it.

Matt

4. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Its definitely worth cleaning the main earth that runs from the battery to engine via the chassis. Only takes 5 mins.

It may be the WUR, though I don't know a lot about these.

The fuel accumulator holds pressure in the fuel system for about 10mins after switching off the engine. Something to do with the fuel temperature continuing to rise. I wouldn't have thought this was the problem. If it was faulty, a hot engine would struggle to restart. Not really sure it plays much of a part other than for hot engine starts. Someone may put me right there.

I have also read the same about the CSV not doing a lot, but its worth checking anyway. It must be there for a reason.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

My kJet rocco starts no problem without a CSV, but maybe a 16v needs it more?

Have you got a Haynes manual? There's a test in there for the thermotime switch I think, which fires the CSV. Otherwise I'd suspect your fuel accumulator, or possibly leaky injectors - does it smell strongly of fuel when it's turning over?

6. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

lazy starter motor maybe? i have the same problem and have been told it might be that

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it's turning over OK, it's not the starter motor (see the first post)

8. mbradbrook Forum Member

Yeah - it turns over no problem so i think the starter motor and battery are ok. Was hoping to do some work on the car today but i've been banned from the garage by the wife all day..............

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  9. mbradbrook Forum Member

Right - managed to get an hour in the garage. I've cleaned all the earths and the car still took ages to start. I also disconnected the cold start valve and this made no difference so i suspect this isn't working. I took all the spark plugs out as well and they are all very black and sooty which makes me think that the car is running rich - what do you reckon?

10. mbradbrook Forum Member

Still no luck with this. I've noticed that when i try to start the car from cold it fires on the first turn of the key but doesn't start. It then turns over for ages before finally starting - does this sound like an ignition switch or coil problem?

I'm going to test the cold start valve at the weekend when i can get some help.

11. mbradbrook Forum Member

Just tried starting it from cold this morning and it started first time. I let it run for 30 seconds and then tried starting it again. As usual it took ages to start. I'm really at a loss what is wrong with it. Do you think the coil could be on its way out - or the ignition switch? The battery had been charged all night so there was plenty of juice.

I've been searching the forums for any clues and the only other thing i can come up with is the fuel accumulator.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Have you had a look at the Haynes manual, and done the tests in there?

It would be worth giving the plugs a clean too, if they're all black and sooty.

13. judderi Forum Member

I recon it might be overfueling on startup. This is usually because the sensor that controlls the 5th injector is duff causing it to run when it shouldent. Try disconecting the wire plug to the 5th injector. If its ok like this you need to replace the sensor. Failing that id look at the fuel accumulator next. Here is a very handy link.

http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm

14. mbradbrook Forum Member

Right - an update. I've tried starting the car with the CSV disconnected and it still struggled to start. I have also taken off the CSV and started the car with the CSV in a jar, It sprayed out fuel so i guess this is working. Where do you reckon i go now? Fuel accumulator? I've read that these tend to affect hot starting and my car has no problem with that. Do you think the coil could be on its way out and so producing only a weak spark when turning over the car?

Any ideas?

15. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Ive got the exact same problem - only starts 1/20 from cold first time, otherwise takes 10-15 seconds turning over. Once running all fine. Be good to see what conclusion you come to.

Cheers

Dan

16. mbradbrook Forum Member

Sorry to hear that you've got the same problem - frustrating isn't it! I think i might bite the bullet and pick up a new accumulator and coil tomorrow from GSF.

17. mbradbrook Forum Member

I've just tried another coil and the problem is still there. Do you think i should try replacing the fuel accumulator now? I've checked with GSF and these are 86+VAT. Does the accumulator definitely affect cold starting? Someone mentioned that this would affect warm starting if knackered.

Cheers

Matt

18. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

change the plugs for new ones.

19. mbradbrook Forum Member

The plugs were only changed last September for Bosch FR6DC plugs. I've always used the 3 electrode ones (F6DTC). Would this make a difference? I was going to try cleaning the plugs tomorrow to see if that helps.

20. mbradbrook Forum Member

Right i'm convinced that this is a fuel starvation problem. When i try and start it after 4-5 hours it fires as soon as you turn the key but doesn't catch. I then have to leave the starter on for 10 seconds or so until it eventually fires up. I think it is using the left over fuel in the system when i first turn the key and then it has to wait until the pump forces it through. Does this sound like it is the fuel accumulator then?