Mk2 Golf 2.0 8v Conversion

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by si_88, Feb 26, 2012.

1. JSI

JSI New Member

Its fairly common but not many parts/ engines for sale sadly..
    Also i want to keep cost of the swap down to a minimum and i quite like fabbing stuff up myself;)..
    Window swap has been on my mind too, i just havent gone around looking at it yet, will do before i hack the agg one up tho.. hope its works out, more of a clean solution

2. si_88 Forum Member

Haven't updated this for a while but I am making some progress. Money is very tight at the moment as we've got a baby on the way!

Porting is now finished and today I've been cracking on with polishing the exhaust ports and tidying up the inlets. I'll post up some pics later when it's finished...

Just ordered some engine/gearbox mounts as that's all that's holding me back from getting the engine back in the car. This will be a bit of a milestone even though the head still needs finishing off which will take a while. At least I can wheel the car out of the garage then and give it a clean for a motivation booster!

Anyone know what would be a reasonable amount to skim off the head? I've already taken 0.1mm to clean it up but after looking into it a bit more I'd like to raise the compression a bit. It will be running a 276 Newman cam so I'm open to suggestions!

3. si_88 Forum Member

Time for an update, although it's not particularly exciting...

Port and Polish all finished off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started pressing the new guides in, although I managed to break the 'stop' off the first guide...!

[​IMG]

The remaining 7 went in with no problems so I just need to pick up another guide in the morning then I can send the head off to David Knight Engine Services for the 3 angled seats to be cut. I will then lap the valves in and machine a 30 degree back-cut on the valves.

I've also machined a pair of stub axle spacers so I've started stripping down the stub axles and fitting new wheel bearings along with new longer 12.9 bolts. Once these are fitted I will wheel the car out of the garage for a big cleaning session and pics to keep the motivation up!

[​IMG]

A few more pics of some freshly painted bits...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one of the engine bay as it stands...

[​IMG]

Baby due in 4 weeks but I'm hoping I can still manage to keep the ball rolling with the project :thumbup:

4. si_88 Forum Member

Another one for a bit of motivation (I still regret getting rid of the Ronals :cry:)

[​IMG]

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I've got my eye on them for my mk2 too, love Ronal Ls's :thumbup:

Nice looking mk2 btw :thumbup:

6. si_88 Forum Member

Thanks Richard :thumbup:

They're the perfect fitment for Mk2's and would look great on yours. I think I will treat myself to another set at some point...

7. Phil. Forum Junkie

I miss my Ronals, and the car they were attached to.

There's a set on ebay atm for 300ish with tyres.

Nice build btw :thumbup:

8. si_88 Forum Member

Last weekend I wheeled the car out of the garage after fitting the 30mm stub axle spacers and bearings. Now got the 20mm spacers on the front as a temporary measure untill I get round to widetracking it! Gave it a good clean but it had been outside all week by the time I took the photos [:$]

[​IMG]

Also fitted some quick release pins to the front bumper after the skin got ripped from the crash bar at the end of last year. I'm not a massive fan of them but I'd tried all sorts to get it stuck back on but it kept coming loose so this was the last resort.

[​IMG]

Painted the cylinder head and decided the rocker cover would look better in black (even if it's not OEM! :o)

[​IMG]

That's all for now :thumbup:

9. si_88 Forum Member

Got the cylinder head back from David Knight...

[​IMG]

He has honed the valve guides, cut 3 angled valve seats, machined and cleaned up the valves and skimmed the head. Very impressed with the quality of his work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've fitted new valve stem oil seals and will get the rest of the head back together with manifolds, injectors, coolant flanges etc one night in the week.

I'll be ordering the camshaft in 2 or 3 weeks as an early Christmas present to myself! I'm fairly set on getting a Newman 276 although I have a little niggle in the back of my mind to get a 272 as it may be a bit more driveable day to day. Is there a huge difference? Compression ratio is going to be 10.8:1 which should be spot on combined with a 276 cam.

As soon as winter is over and the salt is off the roads this will be MOT'd and taxed as I'm getting very bored with driving 'normal' cars every day now! Can't believe I've dragged this out for 12 months already, it was only supposed to take 3/4 months!!

10. si_88 Forum Member

Cylinder head being built back up whilst babysitting (note baby monitor!)

[​IMG]

This turned up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and so did these...

[​IMG]

As it currently stands...

[​IMG]

So close to getting it running now!

[​IMG]

Also bought a new master cylinder which is next on the list to fit and I will paint the servo at the same time. Then it's just a matter of plugging a few bits in and starting it up!

Hope it works................!!! lol

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Looking good. No probs at all with drivability on a 276. I'd get the valves back cut at 30 degree's...that's a fair lip there for the air to trip over.

Ah...you've fitted it...

12. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Coming along nicely :thumbup:

13. si_88 Forum Member

Thanks Jason. I originally asked for the valves to be back cut but I was advised against it by David Knight! Never mind, it can be a job for next time the head comes off!

14. si_88 Forum Member

Thanks Richard!

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Looking good Si.

16. Gozzi Forum Member

Good old 8v's I have a couple of them in the garage waiting for a project to come along. 276 is a streetable cam, do you know what the lobe separation is on your cam?

17. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

It certainly can.

There's no reason what so ever to not back cut the valves...it's all gain with no downside.

18. si_88 Forum Member

Thanks Mike. Looking forward to some updates on your crossflow build!

Here are the specs that I have from the cam:

276 duration
    11.47mm lift
    28-68 timing open
    68-28 timing closed
    110 full lift inlet ATDC
    2.1mm inlet lift at TDC with clearance

I believe that makes it a lobe separation angle of 90 degrees?

19. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

The work you are doing looks cool mate just finished a mates 2.0 8v conversion he loves it sure you will too!!

20. Gozzi Forum Member

Would appear so. I would have expected something around the 110 deg mark. Oh well, so long as it works.