Mk2 Golf Carbon Roof

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by taks, Nov 5, 2012.

1. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Who supplies these nowadays?
    What should I expect pay?

Cheers

2. Jommanjo Forum Member

I've only just fitted mine after buying it in Jan 2011 from Performance Trim (now defunct), there was an offer on, got a % off, think it was 450-odd.
    If I was after one now I'd expect to have to look to Europe. Maybe ask Skywalker38 is it? Think his Mk2 thread is in the VAG motorsport section, nice carbon bits in there, i.e bootlid.

3. Jommanjo Forum Member

4. lew1s New Member

Hi, I no of a company on the south coast now able to supply all Vag Carbon Fibre Panels.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was chatting to Ian Carvell at Snetterton t'other weekend, and he mentioned (someone else asked) that one of the guys in his pit team is handy with fibreglass and carbon fibre. I'm not sure if the fella in question is a Carvell, I'm sure Ian would be able to pass on contact details. Might be worth dropping him an email.

If anyone has a good contact, or is looking at this seriously, it might be worth checking interest for a group buy. I guess a lot of the cost of the first one would be in making the mould.

6. Jommanjo Forum Member

Do tell? :)

7. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Ok sounds like we have some momentum....

Jommanjo I have PM'd Skywalker
    The 450 you paid sounds reasonable!!!
    Did you get a chance to compare weight? I am thinking once the sunroof is removed it should equate to a fair bit

Spoken with lew1s and we are working on that one.....

Mike I have lost Ian Carvells number, If you could PM me, I will chase that one up tomorrow

8. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

I mean today....

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Better to email him - ian@carvell-motorsport.freeserve.co.uk

I also know a company next to my man-cave / storage unit who make fibreglass panels. I can ask if they do any carbon stuff, and if they'd be interested in a small batch of Golf roof panels. They're pretty busy with other work, so they might not want to take this on.

10. Jommanjo Forum Member

PT told me the roof weighed 3Kg. It's so thin you can see pinpricks of light through it from below, the underside is just the rough carbon finish which personally I love. I weighed the roof/sunroof and also the rear seat support at around 23Kg if I remember rightly. You can see how much roofskin I left around the edges.

[​IMG]

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice cage mate - where'd ya get it? ;) Can I pinch that pic and put it on Tylah Motorsport?

Assume there's resin filling the holes, so it's only light that gets through!

12. samfish

samfish Forum Member

This company seems very good, and I have only heard decent prices:

http://www.autocrossltd.com/

A customer got him to make a Bonnet, diffuser and splitter for very little money. The bonnet was the best fibreglass panel I have ever seen, as good as the factory steel item, easily.
    Worth a try maybe.

13. Jommanjo Forum Member

Crack on mate, been meaning to send some more for the cause.

Best there's resin in there or we'll be getting moist! :o

14. skywalker38 Forum Member

15. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Would also be interested in a carbon fibre roof skin. I remember Performance Trim charged 350 when they first started making them, they were something like 850 before they stopped trading, kicking myself I didn't get one back then.

Also, Skywalker I'm very interested in the spoiler but wouldn't be looking to buy anything until the new year at least.

16. skywalker38 Forum Member

is there a build thread on this car,if so love to see it

17. skywalker38 Forum Member

the red one from jumanji i mean,@luke no prob i got the mould and if you want one just contact me,no hurries

18. Jommanjo Forum Member

Isn't Jumanji a dodgy Robin Williams film? lol

There's no build thread mate, sorry. There's not a lot to see really, except for the cage and the roof. Slightly rough 1.8t conversion etc, nothing exceptional. Yours, on the other hand..!

Cheers for posting those links :thumbup:

Jo

19. skywalker38 Forum Member

Okay unfortunate,doesn't matter the way it looks now, always great to see someone else's project
    How much did you had to cut off from the carbon to fit the raingutters properly?

20. Jommanjo Forum Member

We started by cutting out sections to fit around the plastic clips in the guttering.
    Then we realised the roof wasn't a 100% perfect fit, be it either my car pulled into it's current shape by the cage or the roof, or whatever - it took a lot of downward pressure on the carbon in the guttering to make it sit right. We trimmed back a few times to the point where we were left with the vertical part that drops down into the guttering, if you see what I mean.
    Even then, we were faced with a choice of having a perfect fit on the rear lip and a slither of paint showing behind the screen seal on one side, or vice-versa. We chose a good rear end fit and a bit of black paint between the seal and the roof at the front. Hardly noticeable to be fair.