Mk2 Golf GTI 8v external fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by handbrakeharry, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Darren Smith Forum Member

My car has been playing up ie runs rough erratic wen first started until warmish .tried everything I kno temp sender hall sender stopped ecu swopped airflow runs sweet wen warm proper color spark plugs sweet or did till today now its running rough all the time .I'm thinking maybe fuel pump I've powered both an both work but thinkin one ov them is not pumping very good.is this wot I'm thinkin could be the problem .the car now is undriveable but this morning after it warmed up it was perfect plenty of power etc .I'm stuck as to wer to look .any info would be really appreciated

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Before you go replacing the pump have you gone through rubjonny’s guide to setting up a digifant? It’s worth checking out that plus has the fuel filter been replaced - a gunked up one of those can also causing running issues.

I’m currently having erratic idling on my ‘91 8V - it was running badly and cutting out but after changing fuel filter, spark plugs, HT leads, distributor cap and rotor it’s definitely better - next stop ISV, distributor itself and of course RJ’s guide when I get back to Ireland in 6 weeks time

3. Darren Smith Forum Member

Tried everything mate isv airflow distibuter blue temp sender .timing is bang on .After start up today it was fine then got in it ten minutes later an the problem is all the time now

4. costel1969

Did you use a genuine VW blue temp sensor?

5. Darren Smith Forum Member

Yes always use genuine if I can get genuine

6. costel1969

RJ will probably chime in soon on where he recommends to start looking - if the pump is original/old it would be worth changing regardless, it failed on my old 16V, got noisy first, then a very brief bit of bucking bronco whilst driving and literally just died about 25 yards from house so I was able to coast it home

7. Darren Smith Forum Member

Both pumps are working an not noisy atall .I've heard noisy pumps but these are quite. It's got cheap lifters in it someone on here said he had same problem an turned out to broken lifters

8. costel1969

Yep that was @Tristan that posted that recently-I’ve never heard of that before but you’re always learning here.

Tristan likes this.