mk2 Golf gti 8v PB cutting out whilst driving in gear

Discussion in '8-valve' started by milkyjoe, Jul 2, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

This means the car is cutting out due to loosing the ignition live feed, not due to a fuel cut or whatever. if engine had died due to no fuel, spark problem, stalling or whatever, the dash warning lights would come on immediately after the engine has cut out. The fact they do not means the car is acting as if you turned off the ignition switch!

This means you have an ignition switch, wiring or fusebox fault. If it has an alarm or immobiliser, start the hunt there. Look at the black wire from the ignition switch, if its been chopped anywhere check the condition of the splicing and repair if shoddy. Could be a faulty ignition switch

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

^^ I'm leaning towards suspecting the ignition switch too.

Make doubly sure your battery and starter terminals are tight though.

3. Admin Guest

Had a random cutting out / sudden power loss issue with my PB for several months and replaced plugs, leads, dizzy, lift pump, blue sender etc. and discovered quite by accident that it was the connector to the air flow meter wobbling around that was causing it! The spring clip on the connector is very old and loose and when I drove over potholes the connector would move a few mm and cause no end of problems. I have temporarily wedged the connector in place and will fix it properly this weekend.

The car would somtimes cut out at idle, running rough first, and sometimes when driving around the engine would behave as if I had lifted off the throttle pedal completely - not fun when executing overtaking manoeuvres...

After replacing the parts listed above the car would usually behave for a few weeks before it would begin playing up again.

4. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

RubJohnny, Mike and 2 Golfs...............

Thank you again for your prompt responses.

I am gonna have a fun weekend waggling wires and stuff like that.

I disconected the imo the other nite and problem still persists. 100% its not that.

I will try your other suggestions and keep you posted.

Much love to the VW massive!!

5. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

6. rubjonny

just becasue the immob is disconnected doesnt mean its not causing a problem, how exactly have you disconnected it anyway? do you mean you disabled it? if so the wiring for the thing is still in there

7. Drew21 Forum Member

just to put something else I read out there. Whilst troubleshooting my new digi I did a lot of googling and came across some Vanagon guys (also running digifant) in the US who seem to have similar issues to yourself Joe. Apparently what they've found is that small drop-outs on the AFM resistance track (caused by wear of the wiper I guess) meant that if they drove for a long while at a steady speed and load (ie AFM wiper not moving) the AFM would generate resistance fluctuations of its own accord which confuse the ECU and cause kangarooing and stalling. Fixed by simply turning the engine off and on again, and repeat.

I've no experience of this myself and I've not had the lid of the AFM on my car but they seemed to find that moving the board with the AFM wiper track on it just a smidgen (so the wiper arm no longer ran in the worn rut) worked for them. Or popping a capacitor between the AFM terminals to smooth the signal.

just thought I'd put it out there.

edit: just done a search through my IE history and this is the link I'm referring to:
    http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/FIxSystemxAFMxproblemsxxxfix.rtf

8. rubjonny

mk3 & passat 2e code afm and isv work on the digi mk2, will be newer. if you can find an automatic one owned by an old man even better :lol:

9. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

I have disconnected every wire out of the system.

I have got it down to a tee with taking it out now!! Cant explain fully tho but it doesnt take me long to do it.

10. rubjonny

right ok, this would still leave some spliced connections I assume. if its the splices that are the problem rather than the immob itself that could explain it. might be a connection issue at the rear of the fusebox too

11. Gadget32 New Member

any luck?

Ive got a 1999 1.8t passat doing exactly the same thing.

Have you got to be bottom of it yet? Im thinking it may be ignition switch

Thanks

12. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

I have soldered the connections back to standard to try and solve this.

Still having a nitemare.

Tried changing AFM as had a spare and still no change.

I have also tried the capacitor fix from the previous message and that hasnt worked either.

I am gonna have to try and wiggle wires again to see whats what!

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

From looking at the vid, it looks like it's losing all power to the ignition circuit - no warning lights when it cuts out. It could be something in the same circuit, but ignition switch is a possibility I think, as is the bodged wiring around the ignition circuit. Are you able to replicate it with the car sitting still? It would be interesting to know what else switches off (e.g. stereo, headlights drop to sidelights, indicators don't work?)

I don't see how a faulty AFM would cause the ignition to cut - you'd have warning lights similar to if you'd stalled the car, I reckon.

14. rubjonny

the only wire which is a common feed to both the dash and the coil is the one from the ignition switch, so its that wire or switch itself which is causing the problem. if ign live wire to clocks or coil was damaged, it would only effect one or the other, not both!
    unless its the fusebox itself causing the issue, possible but unlikely. remove the plug from ign switch and check the pins, and do the same at the other end.

15. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

everytime it cuts out whilst standing still, I am always doing something else!!

Stereo stays the same, then again it likes to stay on and never turn off!!

Lights do not drop to side, they stay full, indicators all work.

16. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

On it today

17. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

Whilst having a vigorous wiggle of the wires today with nothing happening I decided to go back to my original ecu and came across this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That red and white wire pulled out of the loom and was not attached to anything!!

It becomes live when engine running. Started to cut back the loom protection to try and find the other end but nothing immediately obvious.

Looked thru the Haynes Manual for wiring info and couldnt seem to find what i wanted.

It runs and drives ok but unsure about the wire!! Anyone know what this is all about??

Carried on wiggling stuff and wouldnt cut out. After leaving my pals it cut out half way home!!!

Doing my head in!!

18. rubjonny

that wire isnt used on uk mk2s, its for the lambda probe heater which we didnt get!

19. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

Well that is something at least!!

Still playin up rotten!!

20. Gadget32 New Member

Well i changed the ignition relay and ignition switch but no change!

When the engine cuts out i either turn the ignition off and on and it bumps or dip the clutch wait for the battery light to come on the lift the clutch and it bump starts again, the car is getting more and more difficult to restart as time goes on.

Its driving me nuts.