mk2 Golf gti 8v PB cutting out whilst driving in gear

Discussion in '8-valve' started by milkyjoe, Jul 2, 2010.

1. sveltefog New Member

I thought i would let everyone know how this little saga is progressing. It was not the relay's but i am pleased thay are done, next i looked at the remaining options the distributor looked like the best bet to replace next because it looked very dirty and greasy with oil inside so that was it down to gsf and 100 ish later i have a shiney new dibbey, straight forward to fit too.
    My problem seems to be sorted, it does cough and splutter a little ut that's quite possibly me not putting it in quite right [:s]
    Now i'm going to get the car booked into somewhere to get the rear beam bushes changed. Im to old etc etc
    Thanks to everyone on here for their help and suggestions, you're great! :thumbup:[:D]

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Midland VW used to have a good rep... haven't heard of them for years though, so I'm not even sure if they're still trading, or run by the same people.

A quick google got me this far.

http://www.midlandvw.co.uk/home.html

3. sveltefog New Member

Oh yeah, i had forgot about Midland VW, they are about 10 minutes from my work! :)
    I will take a look Thanks Mike

4. kezman123 New Member

help please

hi there guys new to all of this but am having a huge nightmare, im having the excact same problem with my 1988 mk2 16v, the other night i left my mates and the old girl started chokeing and farting, then cut out with all ignition lights on, as if id just turned ignition on, tried to start her again and she started nut for about 5secs then died again.. touching the throttle would only help in cutting her out when she was started. over a period of time (30mis) the starting got longer she'd run for 10 secs, then 20 and so on. till i could give ger some revs i managed to get her home (5miles) with her cutting out 4 times but managing to keep her starting again off the key.. also just by turning on the ignition the rev counter had a mind of its own.. went to it this moring and she started fine ran fine all day bar when cruzin in any gear u can feel her coughing a bit, and if u leave her runnuing in gear about say 50 and let your foot off the gas it wont come down slowly it will just like splutter all the way down please help me guys...