Mk2 golf headlight differences.... your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Cressa, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

So, after removing the headlights which aren't the best, I am looking at replacing them. As I am trying to maintain standard/originality I am looking at replacing with hella
    Searching around the prices vary vastly. Autodoc say RHD and seem to be the cheapest at around £40 each but these have different numbers on the front. E1 20
    I have found some the same as mine for just around £115 that say E1 25 with an arrow
    See pics, but what does all of that mean??
    Do all mk2s have the same headlights?
    And if I wasnt trying to keep if standard I would happily put some clear ones on instead
    Thoughts please

Attached Files:

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

The first image is for a RHD vehicle and the second image is for a LHD vehicle.

I wrote this a while ago on another forum, rather than go through it again here's a cut'n'paste -

"Did a bit of reading up on this a while ago for the 205 when I was looking for a pair of genuine head lights.

As you can imagine (and it's probably true with the Golf also) being a popular continental design means both LHD / RHD types are readily available, increasing the risk of buying the wrong ones.

Might be useful and save you doing the same groundwork I did as light markings seem to be a very, very big subject if you really want to get into it.

Fortunately there is a simple rule of thumb to identify if a particular light you're looking at is for a right hand drive or left hand drive car without relying on deciphering the cut of the glass, seller description etc.

One of the reasons this visual check is so useful is that automotive lights are officially and confusingly described using the term 'Traffic handedness'.

The UK drives on the left so we are 'Left Hand Traffic' which is sometimes mistaken for 'Left Hand Drive'... you can see where this is going!

I'm limiting this to head lights... other lamps such as spot lights / fog lights don't tend to be sided and it isn't normally applicable.

There'll likely be lots and lots of different markings... home in on the ones grouped with the HC/R script and ignore the rest.

(It's of no significance here but just incase you were wondering HC/R denotes the light is designed for cars with a separate high and low beam such as the MK2.)

Look for a single arrow.

If one is present it will point to the right (towards the UK kerbside / nearside) and this signifies it's for RHD cars.

You'd expect an arrow pointing in the opposite direction would signify non-RHD but that's not the case and it's the complete absence of an arrow that denotes LHD.

Be aware there are some lights that have an arrow that points in both directions, they're mostly on much older cars that have lights which are adjustable and can be set to operate for either RHD / LHD... I think the Citroen 2CV is one.

This image is of a RHD MK1 Golf light - Arrow is present and pointing to the right..."

RHD Hella.JPG

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's great information.

4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

That I absolutely quality info, thank you.
    It did seem strange that autodoc are selling those as RHD but didnt have the same glass markings.
    Everyday is a school day, thank you.

5. watercooled Forum Member

Good choice going with Hella's,experienced two types of aftermarket ones and they were rubbish.

6. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Probably not so much now that it's harder to get stuff in from Europe, but maybe useful to look anyhow.

The.MK1 light I pictured above was picked up on Ebay.de... it was one of a pair of new ones, cost me less than £45.00 inc. post.

Reason? Seller had bought them because he'd misunderstood the traffic handedness thing and ordered RHD in error, so works the other way about too.

Easy mistake, and bet he won't be the last to make it... Worth keeping an eye open on the non-UK Ebay sites.