Mk2 Golf IHI track car... Rear body work and door catches

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 1.8T_mk2, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

With the planned VAT rise in Jan (2010) I decided to get some of the more expensive parts for the Golf now. (thought i'd do my bit for the economy ;) )
    Started off with a nice new cluster from Race Technology, a weld in Custom Cage and a set of Hi Spec stoppers.

First to arrive was the Race Tech dash, so it while I had a spare couple of hours I decided to fit it. I was keeping the original dash so kind of wanted it to look sort of original.

I checked to see if it fitted the original clocks and it almost did so the plan was to take apart the old clocks and fit the new dash in its place.

I removed the old clocks and disassembled
    IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG

Then a quick check to see what needed to be cut away so everything sits nice and flat.

IMG_0022.JPG

A few breif encounters with the die grinder and all looks well.

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

Next job was to make the template and cut the carbonfibre backing.

IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG

Then on to drilling the fixing screw holes and the holes for the plugs with the aid of the handy template that came with the dash.

IMG_0029.JPG

All drilled, glued and fixed into place.

IMG_0030.JPG

Last but not least a glimps of what it will look like when I finally get round to fitting it in to the car.

IMG_0033.JPG

Next will be the brakes as i'm still waiting for the cage to turn up.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. 1.8T_mk2

Ok had a phone call today from a very nice lady at Custom Cages saying I will have my new cage tommorow! Just in time for the Christmas Holiday! :thumbup:
    Have also managed to dig out all the old pics of my build so far, which I'll post up before I get cracking on the new bits.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Nicely done! The car looks an absolute beast

4. Dan172 Forum Member

Atleast someone is having some luck with them. [:x]

When did you order yours? I ordered mine 2 weeks ago, told 7-10 working days, and ive been chasing and got nothing back.[:x] [:x]

5. 1.8T_mk2

I ordered it on the 8th or 9th Dec I think. It did take longer than 10 days though. I just put it down to the weather. It turned up on Christmas Eve with the worlds weakest courier driver! I more or less had to carry it myself the 100yards to the garage! :lol:

6. 1.8T_mk2

Cheers dude :thumbup: :lol:

It's more of a caged animal at the mo, can't belive I've not driven it for 3 years now [xx(]

7. Dan172 Forum Member

lol, well mine would have had to have been a strong delivery guy, but luckily for him they 'forgot' half of my bloody cage! i'm not overly impressed with them tbh! i hope yours fits better that mine! custom fit to each vehicle apparently, i'm not sure what they made mine to fit, but it wasnt a clio lol.

any more on yours?

8. 1.8T_mk2

OK this is from when it all 1st started up to the present day....
    1.6 Driver
    Theprincess178.JPG

Then came the 2Ltr 16v 9A with a Quaife, FK coilovers, polly bushes, 16" OZ Super T's, Eibach anti roll bars and some Brembos.

car008.JPG
    gbox009.JPG

Loads of fun but just not quick enough...
    Bring on the 20v... ;)

golf010.JPG
    golf013.JPG
    dump004.JPG
    dump006.JPG

I also fitted another Quaife to the new O2A gearbox.

A rolling road at Emerald saw 236bhp. A whole load more fun was had, then yet again I got bored so...

Engine005.JPG
    dump006.JPG
    Engine006.JPG
    Engine010.JPG
    Engine017.JPG
    Engine025.JPG
    Engine043.JPG
    Engine033.JPG
    Engine064.JPG

Also wanted a bit more cooling so a trip to Pro-Alloy was in need of...

3dr575.JPG
    mk211.JPG

1.9 rebore, Jabba manifold, Pauter rods, JE pistons, lightened flywheel , new bearings, new oil / water pumps and a big valve head.

A disappointing rolling road at Emerald only saw 280bhp! [:s] [xx(]

Had a chat with Elton at Jabba and he said to go up and he’d have a look. Compared a few maps and found mine to be up to 13 degrees of advance out in places! Had an ask about and couldn’t find anyone that I felt I could trust to map it again so removed it and fitted OE management and took it back to Jabba for a re-map.

But not before getting a new inlet manifold and the pipe work sorted out... ;)

DSC00150.JPG

After the remap I had 350bhp and 530Nm torque .

With the power sorted (for now) it was on with the weight saving...

mk231.JPG
    mk233.JPG
    mk234.JPG
    mk232.JPG
    mk22.JPG
    mk23.JPG
    mk2.JPG
    mk212.JPG
    mk217.JPG

I rebuilt the car and ran it at Santa Pod (I think it was a Fast Car show) Quickest time was a 12.7 but with loads of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd but I was still happy with it considering I only had 3 runs. :lol:

Then a trip to Rockingham saw me destroy a clutch and I think wreck a driveshaft but that might have been a result of the pod though :lol: (pic of the driveshaft to follow)
    Drove it for a year then wanted better handling so it was time for a wide track and Berg Cup arches!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. 1.8T_mk2

Really? Blimey, thats not too good. I watched the DVD fitting instructions and looks like it should be straight forward. Getting ready to eat my own words after hearing the "custom fit to each vehicle" part now tho.

Which bits did you have trouble with?

Should be on it later today I hope. I've got the car striped and ready for fitting but had to go out shopping on christmas eve (bloody christmas :lol: )

10. erick New Member

amazing work .what tahat color code ?

11. Dan172 Forum Member

lol, i think its more a case of what havent i had trouble fitting!

i had to chop 3in off of the main roll hoop as it was against the b pillar/roof and then found that it was against the floor even without the foot plates. the 2 front/a pillar bars have had another 2in chopped again for the foot plates, had to take about 1in off of one side and reprofile it as they were different lengths, the windscreen bar is 1in 2 long so have to take 1/2in off of each side and reprofile it. the foot plates, well, i've had to grind alot off of those to get them to even remotely fit! thats it! I only ordered the club kit 3, so have to make my own rear diagnals etc, but i made them fit 1st time near enough. that and the fact they left out the 5 lengths i ordered with the cage, and they're now cliosed for christmas. all in all, I wont be dealing with them again!

12. 1.8T_mk2

Cheers dude :thumbup:
    It's VOLKSWAGEN-AUDI CAPRI GREEN METALLIC LA6U 1990 1991

It's quite a rare colour, I haven't seen that many about.

Well, not in Hertfordshire anyway :lol:

13. 1.8T_mk2

That sounds like it was miles out! [xx(] No wonder they want an extra 700 sheets to fit them!

I'm just about to go and make a start on fitting mine so I'll see what's what and let you guys know.

14. Dan172 Forum Member

Good luck! i would have got pictures of how bad mine was, but the camera would have been at risk!

15. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I like that alot, some ship mate :thumbup:
    Do u have a copy of the original Emerald map ?
    Would like a look at that against mine, just to see.

16. 1.8T_mk2

I now know how you must have felt! :lol: Had a delayed start after sorting a stray dog so only spent a couple of hours on it yesterday. Best laid plans and all that...

Had to trim 2 inches off the main hoop and reprofile but I think it was just because of the sunroof. Should be back on it later so I'll see how much more needs cutting up.

Cheers dude! :thumbup:

I think I've got one some place. I put them all on a disk but not sure where that is. If I can bring my old laptop back to life I'll drag them off that for you.

What engine code is yours?

17. Dan172 Forum Member

No reply...

Presumed dead from stress of fitting custom cage.

18. 1.8T_mk2

Well so far so good (touch wood :lol: ) Most of the cage is ready to start welding in and I found an extra roof diagonal in the kit! :thumbup: :lol: Taken me a while to get the profile right without a notcher but should be able to make some good progress in the next few days if all goes to plan. I'll sort out a few pics as well, been an average of about 2 degrees in the garage so I've been trying not to stop to often. :lol:

19. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

capri green

i like that!

20. MUSH Forum Member

nice, some serious hardware there?

so was it emeralds map that was well out? who did it? dave walker?