Mk2 Golf IHI track car... Rear body work and door catches

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 1.8T_mk2, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

After almost a year I've final fixed all the photos (well 99.9% of them) :thumbup:
    Really don't want to be doing that again any time soon.

Hope to update with new content in the next few days.

IMG_1362.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    knarfmk1 and pascal77uk like this.
  2. knarfmk1 Forum Member

Looking mighty!

1.8T_mk2 likes this.
  3. 1.8T_mk2

Lots been going on in the back ground and I've also been tracking the mk3 which has consumed more of my time than it should have but I now getting back on too the mk2 which is now my main focus. I'll do an update on the mk3 after all the mk2 updates are done. Wondering if it's worth doing a separate thread on the mk3 but now it's all done it's probably not worth it.

So since the last update I've been concentrating on getting the sheet metal work at the rear of the car sorted. Here is what's been going on.

Made the covers for the notches in the rear chassis. I also cut the boot floor out but didn't take any pictures while doing that bit.

IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0653.JPG

The suspension will probably never get that high but wanted to know for sure that there could never be any clearance issues in the future.

Next I set about removing the inner arch ready for the tubs...

IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0658.JPG IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0656.JPG
    I had already done the passenger side first so knew what to expect but as the chassis is slightly different on the drivers side due to where the filler neck should go it made it that little bit more tricky. Once again I took very few photos while I was doing the passenger side for some reason?

Next was to start filling in the hole back in. Started by squaring off the bottom of the turrets.
    Took loads of pictures of that bit for some reason ???

IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0684.JPG

I then made the tub in two parts.

IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1005.JPG

Took ages to get the fit right due to the funny shapes and curves but turn out pretty good in the end.
    While I was there I deleted the rear outer door handles in prep for aero catches and the fuel filler flap hole was blanked as I no longer needed it.

IMG_0750.JPG

More to follow soon..

knarfmk1 likes this.
  4. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Great to see some updates on this. Great work as always.

1.8T_mk2 likes this.
  5. 1.8T_mk2

As the rear wheel arches interfered with the rear door locks a little bit of a modification was need to keep them shut. I wanted to keep the rear doors usable as it's so much easier to replace a rear door than it is to replace a rear quarter panel if it ever got hit or heaven forbid if I ever shunt it. It also makes getting in the back 10x easier when the seats don't move. After much head scratching I opted for some Aero catches as I didn't need to open the doors from the inside and they could be fitted more or less anywhere. To determine where they would go I roughed out the outline of where the bodywork would be with some welding wire just mig'd on to the panels and then covered that with tape and cardboard.

IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

As you can see in the photos I used a few pics of Karl Schagerl's hill climb monster as a guide. I've always had a vision of what I wanted the golf to look like in my mind and as soon as I saw Karl's car I was instantly filled with a mixture of "Sh*t that is going to look awesome!!" as well as "B*llox someone has beaten me too it" :lol:

After working out where they would go I cut out the door and mounted the catch then made up a mount to weld to the body for the pin to go though.

IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0596.JPG

Little bit of tidying up to do but they both work really well. :thumbup:

knarfmk1 likes this.
  6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Epic, keep it coming
    Jon

1.8T_mk2 likes this.
  7. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Amazing engineering skills, your cutting and welding is enviable.

It’ll be as wide as it is long , 6R4 esk

Another wide one

[​IMG]

1.8T_mk2 likes this.
  8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Holy fuck

1.8T_mk2 likes this.