MK2 Golf lightweight replacement bonnet

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

Hi everyone, we've got a bonnet with vents in it!! [:D]

[​IMG]

It's still a little rough around the edges but this is the one which will see the final adjustments on a car before it's used to take a production mold from. We're very happy with how the vents turned out, they were worth the effort.
    This is the "full fat" version with a complete frame, built to mirror the original. It weighs in at 7.9 kgs.

I guess that it's time to start on the track/race version.

2. James_mk2 Forum Member

A nice 2.5" system to mate up with your downpipes would be cool to see, straight through from the downpipe to a decent size oem-ish looking backbox :)

3. thegave Forum Member

That's great stuff it almost looks totally standard.

Eager to see how much weight you can get the race spec down to. Keep it up!

Backboxes might be difficult to do competitively since BBT are now selling the stainless OEM replicas. But they only do them in standard bore sizes.

4. Trackslag

Hi James, how's the conversion coming along? I'm going to start another thread to gauge interest on the exhausts, so you never know?

Hi thegave, thanks, I've got to admit that we're happy with where this bonnet is going.
    I'm going to start another thread for the track/race versions to keep things clearer for people to follow. We're considering using the resin infusion process help reduce the amount of resin used, which in turn saves weight but it will ultimately cost more. I'll save it for the thread....lol

5. Erny Forum Member

Looks great, looking forward to seeing some finished products.

6. Classy6 Forum Member

I would definitely be interested in a carbon version of either this or the race/track version if the price was similar to what's been gauged now!

7. Trackslag

Hi Classy6, are you after the carbon fibre for its looks or technical properties?

8. thegave Forum Member

I like carbon because it's light. But considering its stiffness there's no real need to get a full-framed bonnet in carbon, is there?

Is the frame for the e-glass needed for stiffness and support or is there another reason for replicating the inner frame?

9. Trackslag

We made the mold for the full frame in the mind that it had all of the fixings in all the right places and someone may just want one. The bonnet skin on it's own would have been near useless without it or something to support it.
    I don't want to run before I can walk but.... I'm hoping that the changes we've made will remove the need for all of the central frame. So yes a carbon mix would definitely be stiff enough.

10. Classy6 Forum Member

Purely cosmetic purposes, I'll gain a small weight saving over a standard bonnet anyway.

11. Trackslag

Hi Classy6, the problem with carbon as a cosmetic use is that it takes a massive amount of finishing, which in turn means labour and material costs. The clear coat lacquer finish alone could cost as much as 150 to produce.
    Have you considered the 3m wrap stuff?

12. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Any chance in making a mk2 Ibiza bonnet?

13. thegave Forum Member

Are the finishing costs for carbon less if it is intended for paint? Isn't gelcoat cheaper than lacquer?

14. Classy6 Forum Member

I'm not interested in the wrap.. with the amount i've already dumped into my car think i'd feel as though i'd be cutting a corner having wrap (no offence intended to anyone who has it of course) I'd like the weight saving of a carbon fibre bonnet with the fibre finish, if it used factory fittings & latches that would be a plus to.

So about 450 for a carbon finished bonnet? (+how much would delivery be on average?), IMO isn't excessive compared to MV's prices. I've wanted one for a while but 700 from MV just seems to much for what it is. Would be nice to see it for around the 400 below mark though if that ever was possible..

15. Trackslag

Hi Dinky Dave, we've got a full diary for the near future but I'm hoping to get to know the Seat crowd a little better as we go along. Never say never :)

Hi thegave, you're right the cost of carbon parts designed to be painted would be less. We've found lacquer to be a more reliable finish than gel coat for this application.

Hi Classy6, when we can come up with a procedure that delivers a consistent finish we'll be able to price it. Until then we'll just be supplying carbon parts ready for paint :)

16. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I would pay good money if someone made a carbon fibre mk2 Ibiza bonnet but I know on the business side they wouldn't be selling out as quick as mk2 golfs sadly.

I would love one and like I said would pay good money but if you going to make bonnets for SEAT cars the best models would probably be mk3 or mk4 Ibiza and the mk1 & mk2 Leon. :(

17. Classy6 Forum Member

If supplied with a carbon bonnet, could the carbon fibre finish be achieved elsewhere by anyone - just out of interest?

18. thegave Forum Member

In theory... Could you not get a paint-prepped panel and then take it to a body shop for clear coat and lacquering? Or gel coated finish and then again clear coat+lacquer by a body shop.

Or does the lacquer need to be part of the curing process?

19. Trackslag

Dinky Dave, I'll add you to my contacts. I'll be in touch if we do anything that's of interest :)

Classy6, part of the problem is the appearance of the weave. Laying the carbon weave out can be tricky and it's a bit of a one shot deal, as you don't really know if it's worked until it's out of the mold!!! These parts are hand made from start to finish so it's a big loss when you get something less than perfect. Now imagine trying to make one with vents and keep the weave looking good, lol.

thegave, we would prefer to miss the gel coat in favour of the lacquer. As well as been lighter it would probably be more U.V stable.

We'll get there but we can't afford the losses on fancy carbon, especially when we want to sell at the prices we do.

20. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Please do! :)