MK2 Golf Stereo Wiring - A Few General Questions....

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Iggy82, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Iggy82 Forum Member

I dont have the ISO connector, just loads of wires sticking out of my dash where the radio should sit. I've worked out what they all do but I'm confused about a couple of things:

1. Power Antenna Wire - White/Yellow
    Is this only used if you have an electric retractable antenna or can it be used with a standard wing mounted aerial somehow? I dont want to wire it into my head unit if its not going to do anything!

2. Illumination Wire - Grey/Blue
    Dont have a clue what this is or what it does!?

3. 12v Ignition Set (Lack of!)
    Does it matter if I just wire up my unit to the constant 12v feed or would anyone recommend taking a 12v spur from the ignition area somehow??

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

2. MUSH Forum Member

1. Dont know, wouldnt worry about it, the aerial doesnt need power, just the connection into the head unit, make sure it isnt touching earth (the outer conductor of the aerial cable) or youll have a c##p radio.

2.Possibly the original stereo connection into the dash illumination circuit so the stereo fascia lit up with the rest of the dash? Put a test light or meter across it and earth and turn the dash lights on, if it is, youll see the voltage on the wire.

3.Take the 12v switched input from the switched 12v fan switch (directly under the head unit location, (theres 3 terminals, a constant 12v, a switched 12v, and an earth.) Just piggyback a connection (preferably soldered and insulated, or even a scotchlock or connector block) and use that as your 12v switch. wala Stereo power with ignition.

3. Iggy82 Forum Member

Nice one, cheers for the info mate.

You dont also happen to know if the glove box light is standard on all golfs because I dont have one in my golf, theres a hole for it, but no light and no wiring for it either.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. The white/yellow wire not for the aerial, this is for the speed sensitive volume control, ignore it!
    2. Yes this is the lights on feed from the light switch, again ignore it.
    3. You can get it from the fan as said, but if yours is a pre-90 (hazard on dash) drop the fusebox and you'll find a ton of spare spade terminals on the back, just run a wire from there!
    If you have a 90 spec (hazard on column) you could make use of the 'key in ignition' feed on the ignition switch. The pin will probably be missing, simply chop a length of wire from a car in the scrappy and fit the wire to the empty hole in the plug (Marked as Pin S or SU).

Then run this to the radio. This means the radio will switch on as soon as you put the key in the ignition, just like a MK3 [8D]

5. stuey Forum Member

Speaker wire colour codes

Thanks for that, very handy as i'm doing mine now too :). I bought some male ISO connectors to wire in, but i don't know the colour code for the speaker one. The black striped wire is the minus, any ideas on which colour is which speaker ie left front etc??

6. stuey Forum Member

7. stuey Forum Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, i am looking for a switched 12v supply for my head unit, and i have found a thin black wire coming out of the back of the ignition switch connector. It is commoned to the thick black wire, which i guess it is for the starter motor circuit. I have checked it, and it is switched. Can i use this, and what rated fuse should i use with a blade fuse holder to connect it? I'm only probably going to run 4 factory sized speakers max.
    Thanks

8. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Another hijacker!

I've just got a new head unit for my birthday, and when I pulled the old one out also found the white/yellow wire, but I also found a grey/black one. I thought they were joined together, but they're not - well, not in the electrical sense, but they are taped together in a ball of sellotape 'to make them neat'. Any idea what the grey/black one is?

Incidentally, I've used the power antenna wire for my (temporary) window mounted electronic aerial.

stuey: Wouldn't using this wire mean that the radio only worked when starting the car i.e. when the start motor is turning?

skydivebaz likes this.
  9. rubjonny

stuey: Check what pin on the plug it is, if its pin 'S' its the 'key in ignition' wire, if not its for something else. If you are sure the feed is 'ignition live' and not 'cranking live' you can use it :)

gbk: I'd ignore the grey/black wire I don't think its what you need. Unless you have a circuit tester and can confirm what it does?
    Check my post for the locations of a suitable ign live or key in ignition live ;)

10. stuey Forum Member

I had a look at the back of the ignition switch connector, the thin black wire (not connected to anything) i want to use is commoned to the thicker black wire in position 15. It is an ignition live but i didn't try it while cranking. It is a '90 Mk2 16v. Is it ok to use??

11. rubjonny

terminal 15 is ignition live so that will be fine :)

12. stuey Forum Member

Thanks for that, you are a star :)

13. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]
    upload image online

Can anybody tell me where the small wire that is twinned with the antenna wire is supposed to go? Is it to the Auto antenna output?

Is it a powered antenna to boost reception?

The car in question is a 1987 golf mk2 16v.

Thanks in advance.

14. rubjonny

that would be my assumption yes, an ignition live feed or possibly blue wire on iso plug from your dash radio

15. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks.

Its wired up to the auto antenna so gets 12v when the radio is switched on. Still does not get an amazing signal though but I'm not sure the amplifying aerial is working and I'm not taking the head lining out to replace it.

Is it a known problem to have rubbish signals on Mk2 golf's or is it just me?

Cheers

16. rubjonny

I havent found it to be so bad really, but I dont really use the radio these days. if its the original its probably about time it was replaced, or it may be the power feed has come adrift or amp has packed in.

I had a random mk3 dash loom a while ago and found it had a aerial amp behind the radio rather than on the base of the aerial, it was properly tapped into the dash harness too so it was original. I think it may have been from a MK3 but I assume the 16v would be the same