MK2 Golf Track/Race bonnet

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

That's what puts us off using it. It was mainly for the look as it could look like carbon to the un-trained eye. You are right though, there are much more suitable materials for this purpose.

2. thegave Forum Member

Matthew, is that a composite bumper I see lurking against the wall?

How did going thinner affect the stiffness of the panel?

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Great to see it's coming together. Can't be easy getting these things right.

4. samfish

samfish Forum Member

yeah, Diolen for impact resistance apparently. I believe it is as good as putting a layer of Kevlar on....? The roll does look very similar to carbon!
    Maybe it would be useful putting a layer or two in to help impact strength and keep the panel together in an accident? Fibreglass tends to fall apart in a crash doesn't it....

Although, I don't know anything really, and just guessing. Maybe it doesn't matter if your bonnet is in a few pieces if you have a big prang! Ha.
    I think it would be a good material for front wings anyway :)

I always wanted a carbon/kevlar front bonnet. Or just get carried away and do this:

[​IMG]

5. thegave Forum Member

Diolin is a lot heavier than carbon.

It's used a lot in economy/club kayaks. Lighter than plastic but better impact resistance than carbon at the expense of rigidity.

6. Trackslag

thegave, yes that's part of the front end from a 106 track car. The bonnet skin that came out of the oven was so flimsy that it wanted to curl in on itself. It resembled an elasticated fitted bed sheet until it had support, lol

Hi Mike, welcome to the thread. Even as recent as today we're making changes for the better. More to come on that next week with pictures.

Samfish, some panels just pop back into shape if they're made of the right materials, handy if you're doing a lot of close racing. Biggest problem for adding extra layers for us is that every layer usually equates to an extra kilo on the bonnet. You are correct though, fibreglass will shatter at the point of impact. Trick is, not to crash.

7. Trackslag

I was hoping to be posting pictures of the new hinge mounting points, but the dimension of alloy T section that I ordered is now obselete.... it's been another one of those weeks, lol.
    The last bonnet we made is standing up well to harsh conditions. The surface of the bonnet must be incredibly cold yet it's got a turbo manifold pumping heat out underneath, but it's holding it's shape well.
    The idea for the hinge fixing points will be that they will have a built in stand off/riser for letting the heat out off the back when you're on track. It'll be an easy adjustment needing nothing more than the gold coloured 10mm/13mm spanner in your tool kit. You can already get a bit of adjustment on the standard fixings but we want to give you a bit more. This new arrangement will also be a nice weight saving.
    Good news is that we've made a new "plug" which will effectively be the master part from which all future molds will be made. We'll be making a new mold next week, the old one had seen a few alterations over the last few months and you would swear that someone had barbecued one side of it, so it was past its best.
    We've got an action packed week of pipework this coming week but Blondie will be making the mold, which should ready for the week after.

8. thegave Forum Member

Great thinking integrating it with the bonnet!

9. Bruce T Forum Member

X2

This just keeps getting better!

10. Trackslag

Hi everyone, happy new year and all that stuff :)
    Before we start making these, the new mold needs seasoning. Would there be any interest in from anyone for a clip on skin? It would be free of any of the fancy witchcraft mentioned previously in the thread, just a standard laminate with gel coat to the weight of your choosing.
    This type of skin is intended for use by someone prepared to take the time to secure and support it properly with fixings at four corners. These will be a little more rigid than a usual skin as they'll have flanges on 3 sides but it will still require proper fixing.
    To get this moving, prices will be roughly 140 plus p+p.
    For those of you waiting for the complete version, the rest of the materials are promised to us in around ten days which gives us plenty of time to make a couple of skins.
    Have a great year everyone and thanks for the support :thumbup:

11. D-systems New Member

Hi, Could you post some pics of the clip on skin when it's done, could be interested but would like to have a look first.

Thanks

12. Trackslag

No problem. I'm going to trim the first skin tomorrow so I'll get a couple of pictures up.

13. Trackslag

I trimmed the bonnet today and it looks mint!
    Unfortunately it has the structural integrity of a crisp packet. It weighs 4.4kg as it stands. It's been beefed up at the back to maintain the shape of the rear edge and the flanges on the side give it a bit of help, so it's much stiffer than a regular skin, but you're going to have to add a lot of extra support when you get sick of it flapping around.
    I'm hoping that our complete bonnet will weigh in at around the 6kg mark, so it seems a bit pointless.
    As much as my fingers bleed as I type this, I've got to say that I wouldn't buy a skin. I would wait for a finished article and I'll use this as a sledge, lol

Ps; I'll get a picture up tomorrow

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  14. Trackslag

Pics as promised :) This is the skin laid on the top of another bonnet. It has been rough trimmed with an angle grinder and wiped off with paint cleaner.
    [​IMG]

15. D-systems New Member

Cheers, I think I'll take your advice and hang on for the proper job.

16. Bruce T Forum Member

Hows 'the proper job' coming along folks? :)

Cheers,
    Bruce.

17. Trackslag

Well.... as if we weren't busy enough, the roof failed on the bonnet workshop. Not to be beaten, I've now got the mold on the dining room table where I've been getting the last of the scratches out (luckily my walls are a similar mushroomy colour to the cutting compound that I'm using)
    We should have a roof over the workshop within the next week so we're pretty much ready to go.
    I'm hoping that my next post is accompanied with pictures of a production bonnet! :)

18. Bruce T Forum Member

Yeesh! Like proper collapsed failed? Not cool! Hope everyone's alright? [:s]

Fingers crossed for the production version!

19. Trackslag

Thanks for your concern :) A couple of scratches to some molds but we were fairly lucky as it wasn't anything dramatic.

20. thegave Forum Member

Hey Matthew,

What's brewing in the mad workshop?