Mk2 Golfs of th3_f15t

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by th3_f15t, Jul 6, 2018.

1. th3_f15t New Member

Hey everyone, I thought I'd start posting my progress on my cars here as well so I can tap into another resource and library on information. The full story so far is here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277127.0

Grab a brew, have a read through and keep an eye here as future updates will be posted here too. Comments, thoughts and ideas always welcome!

2. sports racer Forum Member

Awesome read! I genuinely take my hat off to you for the work you've put into both cars and the (relatively) short timeframe you take to do the work needed.

Hope the next MOT is a bit happier.

And it took 2 brews to get through your read but well worth it. :thumbup:

Cheers

Paul

th3_f15t likes this.
  3. th3_f15t New Member

Bagged myself a G60 rocker cover to brighten up the engine bay:

[​IMG]

And a genuine Momo steering boss to move the wheel away from the stalks to clear the MOT advisory off:

[​IMG]

Got a selection of tools to help finish off the remaining MOT jobs, got a Sealey suspension nut tool:

[​IMG]

Had to file it down as the lugs were too big for the nuts, but it does make the job a lot easier none the less. Also got all my brake pipe tools:

[​IMG]

Had Friday afternoon off work so decided to get out in the sun and crack on.

[​IMG]

Driver's side suspension. Looked alright, top mounts have in fact been replaced within recent years as they were Febi items which didn't show any real signs of wear. However, the dampers are definitely worn as the second picture shows:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No rebound left in it! No leaks from the gas/oil in the main body so they'll do for now until I can afford a complete overhaul of the system. Got the other side off and the top mount was also fine, the MOT garage had failed me on this:

[​IMG]

Wasn't sure a dust cover is a pass/fail item, but apparently so:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...lasses-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

A handy one to have so you can check out what your codes really mean as the description on my sheet would lead you to believe the top mount itself has failed, so double check first before rushing out to buy replacement parts. Next step now really is to get the brake lines and rear compensator sorted, into the body shop for repairs and then back in for an MOT.

Planning to completely overhaul the suspension now with new dampers, springs and hardware which includes bolts. Freshen everything up then get it fully aligned and the caber corrected as much as possible before putting her into daily service so I can crack on with the 6R.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. th3_f15t New Member

Decided to get the new boss kit installed, you can see the difference in height:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feels a lot better behind the wheel now. Got to sorting the brake lines out and fitting the new regulator for the rear brakes as well:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haven't seen flares that good since my dad showed me a picture from his teens. Would have bled the brakes through but I've not got any tube to do it so I'm off to Halfords to get some supplies.

5. th3_f15t New Member

I've not been updating this project lately for which I apologise but things have been moving forward, although not all in the direction I originally intended. To fill in the gap between the last post and up to about a week ago, I bought replacement panels from VW Heritage to replace all the floors and sills, but after chatting with the body shop we decided it wasn't cost effective to continue as it's all a bit too far gone everywhere. To seal the deal, a branch fell onto the roof at some point and has damaged it there as well so there was no longer any desire to save the shell so decided the only thing left to do was to strip it down:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mk2 Scirocco is also mine, I picked it up cheap as I needed a new run around and wanted something older (still was sulking with the R at this point) but now it's sat awaiting a new MOT and some work to get it road worthy again before selling it on. Has been an awesome car but I want to get back to Harriet, which was another influence on breaking Hayley. Gutted the wiring loom out the bay:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently working on repairing a few connectors, separating it out into 2 distinct looms (engine management and others) as I have a plan for it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plan now is to take the wide track gear off of Hayley and transplant it onto Harriet which changed from the original plan of a full VR6 wide track/5-stud conversion. The reason is I have the parts and they're tried and tested so going to re-use them for time's sake. Will use my VR6 rear beam and fuel tank in Harriet as well and keep the GTI rear beam and fuel system separate, along with the re-built engine I have planned, to transplant into another decent body shell. Ideally, I'll find a rolling shell with interior and drop the GTI parts into that and once I transport Harriet to my home in Wiltshire (from my workshop in Essex) I can get her up and running much sooner.

Another change from the original plan is to use a VR6 5-speed gearbox from a Corrado instead. This is simply for ease of conversion right now, allows me to re-use parts I already have and means any part to replace something is off the shelf available. Still working on which flywheel and clutch to use right now, I'm not aiming for forced induction, big power or likewise, just a comfortable, awesome sounding cruise machine.

Hoping that I'll get Harriet down to Wilshire by end of February and at least firing up by the summer, but there's a ton of work that needs doing so don't hold me to that...