Mk2 GTI 16V Oak Green - rebuild

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Greigzy, Nov 7, 2016.

1. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Same material as mine :)
    P1050473.jpg

Greigzy likes this.
  2. Greigzy Forum Member

Very nice Eddie :)

3. Greigzy Forum Member

So this will be a picture overload, so apologies in advance*.*Yesterday the car went over to the paint shop*for Greg to paint her.

A happy Kris with her loaded up. The cover didnt last long.

[​IMG]

In the booth:

[​IMG]

Greg doing his thing:

[​IMG]

Off the gun finish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The colour really pops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doors on and outside waiting for collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A massive thank you to Greg, for all his hard work. Many thanks to Kris also, for giving me a hand moving the car. I'm off work tomorrow to start fitting things up so should another update then. Thanks for reading

4. wenman New Member

This looks amazing, nice work so far!

Greigzy likes this.
  5. Greigzy Forum Member

Busy day today, got some more fitted up.

Driver roof gutter on, rear glass in, rear lights on, passenger door built up and boot lid on (although this needs aligned). Door and side trims were heated up and sealed, so are black again.*Was super hot in the garage too so I was knackered after today.

Greg came to denib a couple of bits too (hence a couple of bits looked scuffed in the later photos).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to get the wings on this weekend and start to*retexture the plastic arches.

6. Chris92 Forum Member

This is looking like an awesome transformation mate, bet you're loving it coming back together. How are you restoring your plastic trim bud? Mine is very faded and is off the car so i've got the opportunity to get it looking good, just wondering how you were doing it? Keep the pics coming :thumbup:

7. Greigzy Forum Member

For the bumpers and the arches, I'm going to use bumper texture paint followed by matt black if required, as they are a little past best. I need to do the bumper tops anyway, so thought I would do the arches at the same time.

For the side trims, I used the old heat gun trick. I them protected them with Nanolex Trim Rejuvenator. It's fairly expensive stuff in comparison to other trim stuff, but lasts for ages.

Chris92 likes this.
  8. Greigzy Forum Member

Got a few more things done this afternoon when I was out at my parents.

Got new sound deadening for the floor:
    [​IMG]

Then fitted the front and rear carpet:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got the driver door seal on too.
    I filled the rear quarters with Shultz Underseal on the compressor gun, in the hope to give some extra protection. Think I will do the underside with this too, as it seems better than what I have put on it already:

[​IMG]

Got the rear window in with the help of my Dad, and fitted the retextured spoiler and rear arches:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg is coming back this week to flat back the sides (the current marks are from denibbing) I can then polish it from there.

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I really love an Oak green, fair play.

Greigzy likes this.
  10. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Looking very pretty keep up the good work as it's paying you back in spades so far :thumbup:

Greigzy likes this.
  11. Greigzy Forum Member

It's sad when a pals car goes to the scrap yard.

[​IMG]

I heard about a Mk2 going into Persleys (local scrap yard) today through Peter, Alz neighbour (the guy I got the mk2 from). He is chummy with Stevie, who works for the scrappy. I then found out it was Mushy's, so managed to find out the time it was going into the yard and made sure I was there!

[​IMG]

Got a grille, inner door trim, seat belts, clocks, momo steering wheel, handbrake, hard boot carpet and a heap of other trim bits. I also got a front 16v windscreen to replace my cracked one! Yay! was nice and careful taking it out, wrapped it up in the car, drove out to my parents AND F****** CRACKED IT*.

My cracked 16v windscreen collection:

[​IMG]

Got the rear boot carpet in tonight and the rear badge on (with new plastic inserts for the clips to go into the body). Wasn't planning on going out to do any work on it tonight, but didnt want to leave the parts and tools in the car overnight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Greigzy Forum Member

Seems like ages since I have last updated this. And there has been quite a few changes.

From what I remember, I have:

1. Fitted new seat belts to remove the rat eaten ones, which allowed my to build up C pillars, parcel shelf supports etc.
    2. I have thick plastic sheets to start making membranes for the doors and rear quarters too.
    3. Fitted new ball joints too.
    4. Aligned bootlid and fitted glass to the bootlid.
    5. Started building up the driver door.
    6. Fitted the front wings (passenger has aligned perfectly, driver side will need more adjustment - the joys of a repro wing).
    7. Polished up both sides of the car (still to do the roof and bonnet)
    8. Got some G60 arches that were painted. I have started referring them. The rears have come up very very well. As has the rear bumper.
    9. Fitted G60 rear arches and rear bumper - rear bumper needs adjustment but I was knackered after everything today
    10. Fitted some new wheels. Audi A8 winter wheels, redrilled to 5x100. Something a little different. With some spacers and a little more lowering they should look cool.
    11. Probably heaps more.

Arches before refurb:
    [​IMG]

Arches fitted. Knew the front arches were wide, but can't believe how wide the G60 rears are:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It feels like it is actually looking like a car now!

13. borax Forum Member

Those wheels really suit it

Greigzy likes this.
  14. Rmilne1990 Forum Member

Good build mate, I'm doing a 1.8 20V conversion to my golf. I stay in Ellon which isn't far from you if you have spares left over give me a shout :thumbup:... who did you use to paint your golf I've been looking at garages down Glasgow way.

Greigzy likes this.
  15. Greigzy Forum Member

Cheers for the comments folks!

RMilne - I have a few spares, but know a man in Old Meldrum that has a heap of spares that could assist.

Regarding paint, I used a friend that works at Kinghorn Autobody in Blackburn. There are some very good, meticulous painters up here. Give me a message :).

16. Rmilne1990 Forum Member

Pmd you bud

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I those Audi wheels against the oak green backdrop...I like!

Greigzy likes this.
  18. Greigzy Forum Member

So another weekend on it and more done. It has also made me realise that I really don't have much else to do in the grand scheme of things!

Spent most of the weekend trying to tidy/clean/paint the engine bay. I have a plan next winter to build and*a 2.1 ABF, but I want to get this on the road for next year. So for now, I just want the engine bay to be presentable. Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I still want to strip and paint some brackets, but will probably get these powder coated when I get the inlet and the rocker cover done in the next month or so.

Mocked up the rear bench - I need some mk3 brackets, but this gives you an idea:
    [​IMG]

Front G60 arches repaired and fitted:
    [​IMG]

I hooked up a battery and started going through what is working and what doesn't. Rear lights work, numberplate lights work, indicators work, wipers work. Needed to replace a couple of bulbs, and reconnect and indicator connection for the side indicator as that had come apart.*The fog light and brake lights don't work, but I will look at that next week.

[​IMG]

Got new locks fitted, fitted the underdash fittings and centre console etc. It just seems to be a heap of small jobs that I can't really take photos of.

beetie and Sirguydo like this.
  19. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

Excellent work dude :thumbup:

What did you use to clean the engine bay?? Taking the engine out of my oakey to rebuild the engine shortly and want to clean up the engine bay

20. Greigzy Forum Member

Thank you, means a lot.

Used some all purpose cleaner (obviously there are varying brands) and some bodyshop panel degreaser I got when the car was sitting between primer and paint.