Mk2 GTi 1990 KR fuel pump not priming

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by dub_fever, Nov 9, 2018.

1. dub_fever Forum Member

i can't get my valver to start, had it off the road for a few months.

when I turn the ignition normally I can clearly hear the buzzing fuel pump but now I can only faintly hear it and engine is turning over but not starting.

I have checked the relay using a 12v battery and multimeter and is clicking and working well.

I know that there is a fuel pump under the car which is the one that normally makes the buzzing but am I right in saying there's also one in the boot?

Any ideas what the problem could be or where to look further?

TIA

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah , you have an in-tank pump under the black cover in the boot and the main under tank pump, it's usually the main pump you can hear as you say.

Have you bridged the relay socket for the pumps? bridge the two largest terminals that should give direct live to the pumps for testing, then check at the pumps for 12v+ Sounds like your main pump is not working.

3. dub_fever Forum Member

Thanks GVK, is it the same relay/socket for both pumps?

I will try the bypass method where the 2 big connections go on the fusebox, is it safe to make the connection for a few minutes?

The fact I can hear anything at all suggests that it can't be an alarm/immobiliser issue.

Is there any way to test to see if the lift pump is working, I know that my fuel gauge isn't working also.

4. GVK

Wiring goes along from the fusebox to the back of the car then splits off from the lift pump then out under the car for the main pump.

I wouldn't leave it bridged for long in case the pump is seized.

Whip off the cover in the boot and check for live feed etc at the lift pump

With fuel gauge not working you may have an associated wiring issue, rubjonny may have wiring details for the pump/sender if a search comes to nothing.

Fuse 18 20a for the fuel pump

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    dub_fever likes this.
  5. GVK

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  6. dub_fever Forum Member

I've ordered the pump and filter now and will be fitting it next.

The lift pump has been ordered as well.

Will report back once it's fixed hopefully and open a new thread in the technical section for the fuel gauge.