Mk2 Gti 2.1 ABF Track Toy

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by holdawayt, Jun 11, 2018.

1. holdawayt Forum Member

How does the bracket attach to the lever though?
    I see that little hook on the lever but there's nothing on the bracket for that to hook on to.

There's also a blob of weld where that hook is on mine so I think someone's been creative in the past.

Edit - does it just rest on there and the cables keep it in place by being taught?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Admin

yep it just sits over the hook and the cables hold it in place :)

3. holdawayt Forum Member

Serves me right for over thinking it! Cheers Jon.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Yes, chopped the tubes. Also chopped off the floor mounted reaction plate and made my own.
    Positives? Handbrake cable run better and further from exhaust. Handbrake works fine
    Jon

5. holdawayt Forum Member

Picture-less update I'm afraid, thought I'd wait til the arches are cleaned up and coilovers are less crusty.

But... the rear brake setup is finished and the handbrake works a treat. Thanks for the advice chaps. I'll put it all back together this weekend and take some pics.

6. holdawayt Forum Member

I whipped the rear coilovers off this weekend for a tidy up.
    They looked quite bad and I was fully prepared to replace them but they tidied up a treat and with a bit of heat from a blow torch the locking collars span off no bother.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fronts are coming off next weekend for the same treatment, I'll have to raise the car slightly too for track use as it's currently in poser mode.

The handbrake and brake conversion is all done, I just need to take delivery of some 15mm spacers then I'll be able to put the wheels back on and adjust the handbrake tension. I really want it to be strong enough to hold the car still while I spin the front wheels up prior to a run. Hopefully the Mk4's will do the job.

7. s1monc Forum Member

How did the trackday go?

8. holdawayt Forum Member

Hi Simon,

It didn't happen unfortunately, the Mk2 needed a few more things for the MOT and the other cars we were taking weren't ready either.
    The good news is that after new ball joints, rear wheel bearings and a new exhaust, the Mk2 is now MOT'd and back on the road so it's just a case of waiting for everyone else to catch up!

Glad I did the ball joints, the car was wandering about terribly after the winter refresh. It's now feeling like it used to, incredibly agile and balanced. I'm slowly working through the running gear and improving bits where I can but progress is delayed somewhat because of the bike project.

I'll do the gear linkages next as they're a bit vague and i have an annoying issue with the idle control module or the wiring that's associated with it. Sometimes if i disturb the wiring by the fuse box it simply won't idle, the ISCV won't buzz and it drives like a pig. Give it 10 mins and it's fine again. Really not sure how to tackle this as I can't pull the fusebox out enough to investigate. One to sort another day i think.

Pic from the MOT garage highlighting how desperate the shell is for some attention. I'll get round to that once I've fixed everything else!
    [​IMG]

Battery tray gave me some relief, solid as a solid thing:
    [​IMG]

We've got a long test drive down to Paignton from Kidderminster on June 14th for a weekend away so that'll be a good opportunity to stretch its legs.
    Must keep this up to date more, I'll take some recent pics at the weekend.

Tom.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    erreesse likes this.