Cupracraigs MK2 GTI 20v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by cupracraig, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You should be proud of it, it's a gorgeous looking car :)

2. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

MOT passed, got a slight oil leak apparently! not had any drips so muct just be seeping somewhere. i will need to check that out. Also i need to sort the join from my downpipe to the Trackslag as its blowing a little on the join (bad joiner).

been looking for a few winter mods and i think im going to upgrade the turbo a K03s Hybrid, i have been reading and found a useful post by Badger Bill on the Hybrid setup

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/whats-the-best-ko3s-hybrid.102463/

Essentially the requirements are (some of the text is a direct copy from Bill):

k03 hybrid with K04 internals
    LCR/S3 injectors (370cc) on 3bar (i think i am already using th BAM injectors from the BAM fuel rail)
    80mm MAF housing and TIP/filter to suit
    K03 manifold is adequate and can flow as much as any highflow manifold, with some porting work. retains oem fitment, and is reliable as oem.
    FMIC (already on the car)
    fuel pump is not needed if you dont squeaze down on a 4bar reggy. keep 3bar and 370cc injectors (Will need to check the 8v pump is capable of this or not, i have seent hat aKjet one is fine)
    MBC (forge unos) is advised to clip the inherant spikey boost delivery of these units.

combine it all with the FMIC, 2.5" downpipe and exhaust.. it should be comfortablly around 270bhp which would be nice. Not chasing big numbers but another 70-80bhp would make a big difference to the car

3. cupracraig

papped up the gorge :)

[​IMG]

1990 likes this.
  4. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Cracking good work. Beaut!

5. cupracraig

6. cupracraig

i am loving this new phone!

Went out in the car yesterday after a quick clean and some weekend maintenance, the car feels really dialled in, the handling is lovely, the power delivery is great.. still need to go get the car booked in for some winter paint love. i want to get the engine stripped out again and painted as i never did that when putting it in, also the gearbox soda blasted and painted.

couldn't help but take more photos on the way home from a little met last night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1990 likes this.
  7. silver Forum Member

Hi mate did you put a seat stuby master cylinder on it if so do you know the Bosch part number for it thanks

8. cupracraig

i did but im at work and wont be able to get to the car for the day, quicker to just google it i would think

9. silver Forum Member

Sent you a pm mate

10. cupracraig

i'm umming and ahhing about selling this winter but have put together a list of jobs that i would like to do if i decide to keep it

Electric Window re-wire to include Relay and OEM connections
    New windscreen
    Windscreen rust spot fix
    Bonnet respray
    Air intake re-think / air filter
    Silicon TIP / Custom TIP
    Fan direction lever fix (stiff)
    Intercooler slight re-location
    Loom relocation into Chassis legs
    Battery Re-location to Boot
    VDO Guages wiring and Install

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  11. cupracraig

little update:

re-fitted the electric windows but added in a new inline fused relayed setup. Used relay number 24 so its ignition live activated and will get rid of my battery drain issues (generally went flat over 4 weeks of non use)

also non car related, i got busy with the spade and rake!

Before:

[​IMG]

Nearly finished:

[​IMG]

i'll take the dash out this week to mend the fan direction and re-foam areas that need re-foaming

12. cupracraig

time to get back on the car after it just sitting in the garage all winter.

First job is to replace the cam cover gasket, its failed on the rear and caused a bit of an oil leak which the MOT tester picked up on. ive been cleaning up the cam cover in order to paint it crackle black while im there.

i looked into fitting R8 coilpacks but you cant do it on the older AGU engines due to the wire harness. Its alot more work to splice in the new loom elements which doesnt bother me, but not at this time of year when i want to start driving it.

the cams are in great condition! and after cleaning up the mating faces, its looking ready to go back together with new gaskets.

[​IMG]

13. holdawayt Forum Member

Good stuff Craig,

Always like to read about this one, there's not a thing I'd change if I owned it.

cupracraig likes this.
  14. cupracraig

Saturday afternoon got busy!

Intercooler out (need to make up some good brackets for that again as i didn't like how it was sat at an angle before)

cooling system out - getting completely replaced

Alternator and bracket - out to be refurbished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the offending pipe!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The near side of the engine has a coolant housing that the temp sensor goes into, so i whipped that off while i clean up the engine of all the muck and grease, as it came of, the rubber o'ring came away in 2 pieces..so that's likely where the little dribble of coolant has come from and possibly not the pipe in the pictures above, but that needs replacing anyway.

[​IMG]

Going to fit a catch can so whipped out all the oil breather pipes, the one that goes into the block obviously split as it came out..just brittle. so ordered a new part there, that will go into a silicon pipe to a catch can and then one from the cam cover to the catch can...then delete the PCV (puck) valve.

[​IMG]

then took out the alternator and the bracket behind it that supports the power steering pump. I'll sand them back and clear coat them... not sure how to restore the alternator yet though but just want that back to OEM looking and clear coated.

loads of cleaning to do! should be a good week for progress

erreesse likes this.
  15. cupracraig

Another busy weekend pushing on with the car.

Finished cleaning up the cam cover, masked up ready to paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Idle pulley bearing was rough so took that apart, cleaned up all the aluminium, chemically treated it and then cleaned again and clear coated it... i also did this with the bracket on the front of the engine for the alternator

[​IMG]

Took the bearing out thinking i could just replace it... looks like its easier to just replace the assembaly

[​IMG]

Stripped the alternator to check the bearings as it sounded a bit gritty..

[​IMG]

Outer shaft bearing in the casing is all good... inner is gritty..Part number for it in pic. ordered a new bearing and will replace that.

[​IMG]

did loads more cleaning up of the alternator casing, i will clear coat this when done.

and put some of it back in to get an idea of how its looking.

[​IMG]

Ari, erreesse and Sc00bysnack like this.
  16. cupracraig

Well i picked up the new used box from a seller i have known about for a long time so that gave me some confidence in what he was saying... So many people have tried to sell me duff box's or just come across as such cowboys.

Photo from the seller below. pretty oily and grimey but came out of a running Octavia VRS and the gearbox was running smoothly.

[​IMG]

got busy with the oven cleaner and some other cleaning products and it really did a good job on removing all the grime! the only issue was some surface corrosion that i've began cleaning off before clear coating the box.. i don't want to paint it silver as it just looks wrong... black would be good but keep it original looking and clear it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

half way through clearing it up my second Dremel died.. thats 2 now in the space of 2 years... going to buy a cheap one this time as im sick of the cost of a dremel against the length of life

Coakers and erreesse like this.
  17. cupracraig

Finished grinding off all the oxidisation from the box on the weekend and sprayed it down again with some aluminium treatment to ready it for paint tonight.

Swapped over the gear change mechanism to the ball style from my current box.

Drained the oil in order to check for contaminants and for peace of mind, always worth a swap because its likely never been changed.... gear oil was very clear so that's a good sign.

I'll probably change the end plate seal too as although it seems good, its been exposed to elements and i don't fancy having to change it once on the car again

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  18. cupracraig

Got busy at the weekend with the gearbox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coakers and erreesse like this.
  19. cupracraig

I Had a few hours on Saturday while the boys were at their nannas for lunch so i built the crane up, wheeled the car out and got busy

[​IMG]

First job was disconnecting the driveshafts and getting those off. For anyone wondering, you need to have the wheels off and undo the lower suspension bolts, then you will have enough room to slip them out.

Out with the old box... ewww..grotty

[​IMG]

On goes the new box [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for the bay to get some more TLC

[​IMG]

Checked the turbo over and its got Zero play, happy days! i did come across an issue when removing the TIP that theres a rubber O-Ring that seals it onto the Turbo, that has split.. so now i'm just tempted to change it to a Silicon TIP. i'll see how much the o-ring is first

Ari and erreesse like this.
  20. cupracraig

mental week, not able to get much done sadly.

Fitted the new starter motor

[​IMG]

I also decided to debaffle the turbo outlet (charge pipe). Theres no performance gain to be had, just sounds better :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.