Cupracraigs MK2 GTI 20v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by cupracraig, Mar 5, 2018.

1. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

got busy on the car lately, my dad suffered a major stroke and im in hospital several hours a day. Outside of visiting times, i needed something to focus on that i could just be alone and take my mind off the worry. turns out you can get lots done in short times.

New starter motor.

[​IMG]

Painted up the intercooler to add to the stealthy look

[​IMG]

Engine going in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tax and insure it today and finish off the front end tonight when im back from the hospital.

cannot wait to drive it again.

1990, Toyotec, HPR and 2 others like this.
  2. cupracraig

nice to be out and about in it this weekend :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1990, Toyotec, HPR and 2 others like this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It looks great.

cupracraig likes this.
  4. cupracraig

5. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

Great work, enjoy it over the summer months

cupracraig likes this.
  6. cupracraig

So i recently orderd some refurbished g60 calipers and got untold amounts of grief for it from some friends.... "why are you swapping to G60 from S2 calipers" was the main question and theres a couple of simple explanations for this..

1: weight... the s2 calipers are mighty, but they are also mighty heavy
    2: disc choice.. the G60 discs have a much wider choice of disc and i wanted to go for something dilled to help with heat dispersal. The S2 calipers require a slightly tweeked vauxhall Meriva disc and although this is not a problem, its just a limited choice.
    3: clearance..i'm having to run a 10mm spacer for my RA's to fit over the S2 calipers, i see lots of threads where people are saying that G60's accomodate the RA's well, some say a 3mm spacer required... either way, its going to help with clearance of the tyre from the arches.

So have i done the wrong thing? maybe.. the twin pot S2's are probably harder braking than the G60's, but you can easily lock up the wheels with a standard 16v setup, so without ABS... its all over kill anyway. The S2's could suck a bit more heat, but then you still have to disipate that heat, the G60 disc choice should help with this.

Will the weight saving help...i do read about this but its unlikely to make much difference in the real world.

i'll give the setup a go over the next year and see how it goes, i have a spare set of hubs with new bearings, so i can re-mount the s2's and their discs for safe keeping.

in other news... i have the recaros off to be welded to the corrado bases.. so i can then send them off for trimming, but im waiting to see what happens with Brexit before i do that as things dont look great with the no del scenario at the moment

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The effect you feel from brake retardation is usually down to the effective friction of the brake pads.

Heat management from friction becomes an issue with repeated stops, hence why you have components such as drilled rotors, 4 pot/twin pot calipers of various alloys and high temp Super Dot 4 brake fluid.

On a road car like a Golf 2, excessive brake modifications are not required. For track, folks like myself use non road legal brake pads, such as CL RC6, Ferodo DS3000 on plain discs and super dot 4 fluid like ATE Typ200 for effecting stopping.
    Road driving is slow and steady so any standard OE quality pad will do with good fluid.

cupracraig likes this.
  8. cupracraig

[​IMG]

well they arrived and all look very good. totally refurbished with all new bolts, sliders, stainless bleed nipples, rubbers and pistons.

started looking at changing over the turbo for a k03s hybrid... so will need to re-evaluate of its easily mappable or not, last time i looked it was not...things could have changed

erreesse and Savagesam like this.
  9. cupracraig

So the shopping list has begun to take shape:

• Silicon TIP
    • Port the manifold
    • VR6 MAF housing - OBD2 VR6 housing which measures 2.75
    • K03s Turbo - one of the following:
    1. K03-052 180 hp, 85 N actuator
    2. K03-053 150 hp, 85 N actuator
    3. K03-058 150 hp/180 hp, 85 N actuator

• Stage 2 mapping to account for the 2.5" free flowing exhaust, 2.5" decat downpipe, FMIC, Forge P007 and all the above mods.

I have BAM injectors on at the moment, but i believe i need Calibra Turbo Yellows or Saab Red injectors.

I think thats all i need..... maybe someone can correct me?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  10. cupracraig

Has anyone had much experience of renewing the underseal on their cars?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  11. cupracraig

I have split my wheels in order to replace some of the lips with Radinox ones. The fronts have taken some hits from stones and got some chunks in the lip missing. Radinox versions should stop this happening. I'm also going 1/2" wider on the front.

Rears 8.5j
    Fronts 8j

currently have some 195/45/16 on the rear

Fronts will need to be 195/40/16 but then there will a bit of difference on the diameter of the wheels so i'm thinking that a 195/40/16 on the rear will also be needed.

erreesse and Savagesam like this.
  12. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I love this car!

No but give me about a year and I’ll let you know how it goes!

cupracraig likes this.
  13. cupracraig

I was thinking of wither buying a second hand rotissary or making my own trolley style system that uses the subframe mounts... something like below.. something solid and raises the car up enough to work comfortably below it.

i'm just going to enjoy it this summer though and take it off the road next winter for a bit overhaul.

upload_2020-1-8_10-35-45.png

14. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

We are about to start building a rotisserie, we’ve just ordered the metal. We’ve got 2 cars to do. So hopefully it’ll work well.

15. KENT! Paid Member Paid Member

top work mate car looks fantastic. i've done the all the underside of mine with new seal.. what do you want to know?

16. cupracraig

I was looking at your threads yesterday, great reading and loads of progress! very impressive.

i'm looking to totally strip the underseal, repair any rust that i find and then seal up any seams, prime it wiht something really solid and then figure out what i am going to coat the bottom with... my initial thoughts is Raptor as i have used it on the subframes and its really solid... but there might be a better product to use..

i've got a welder on order so will be teaching myself over summer ready to get cutting in the winter

17. KENT! Paid Member Paid Member

i did both the mk2 and rs4 in the same method the only difference being i used a different underseal.

in short it went:

1. Strip everything.
    2. Cutting and welding
    3. POR15 metal prep treatment
    4. POR15 paint
    5. Spray underseal
    6. POR15 paint again

On the mk2 i used innotec spray seal HS and on the rs4 i switched to 3M 8800. Both use their own gun system and can create a great oem looking finish with simply spraying on and then wiping the seams with a cheap paint brush.

Id probably recommend the 3M more as it was pretty neat system and you just bin the 2 pt back when its done. Plus i think the gun is cheaper.. id lend you mine but ive got a feeling its gone missing. Expect to have to buy quite a few bags thought if your doing the full car. Mk2 must of been 200-300 quid maybe and the RS4 probably 400-500. I even por15d the rear of my new wings, seam sealered the rear and por15 again to try keep them protected as long as possible.

cupracraig likes this.
  18. cupracraig

wow great info ! thanks

19. KENT! Paid Member Paid Member

no problem. just give us a shout if you need any help. there is some pics of it all buried in the rs4 build thread i think.

cupracraig likes this.
  20. cupracraig