mk2 gti 8v 1988 dign,,after trying every thing my car continues to flood

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by jeffcatr, Apr 9, 2018.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the main one as I say in the link above is the battery earth to the gearbox. if your car is early it might run to the upper gearbox bracket which isnt ideal since corrosion builds up between the bracket and the box as they are different metals. later mk2 and mk3 instead have the earth to a stud on the end of one of the 2 upper bolts which hold the gearbox to the engien, much better design. I would rob a full battery cable set off a mk3 1.8-2.0 in local scrappy better battery terminal design as well as nicer cables.

short term you could make a beefy new cable up to go from battery or upper box point to somewhere on the engine block, remove the upper bracket and clean it all up underneath as well as all of the battery, starter and alternator cable contact points.

heres a direct link to my troubleshooting guide for the digifant engine:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/124949

2. jeffcatr New Member

SHE s ALIVE ha ha ,put it down to the white thermo switch ,thanks for the advice guys been really helpful

Spacecowboy likes this.