MK2 GTI 8V idles but when accelerator is pressed revs drop and cuts out??

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by andy1981, Oct 8, 2019.

1. andy1981 New Member

Ok so its been fine,

Then I've started having problems, i can't even rev the engine if i do it splutters and dies.
    First off i thought it would be the blue temp sender so i swapped it for a new one no difference.
    I fixed a coolant leek on the coolant flange (knew this would make no difference but did it anyway)
    Cleaned the throttle bay and the ISV (yes it vibrates with ignition on)
    fuel pump primes and relays click etc
    it does smell very rich though.
    Then i thought it must be an air leak.. low and behold the capped off one just behind the head was broken (the hard to get to one) so i trimmed off the broken rubber and refitted it but sadly no difference.

I did un-plug the MAF and the car started to work and i could rev the engine as normal (albite some smoke came out the rear exhaust ) does this mean its an air leak? and i replace all the hoses ? or a bad MAF? i've checked the wires to the MAF and they seem fine

The only other thing that's happened before this trouble is the earth that connects the boot lid to the inside of the engine bay was broken. Its right next to the hinge top right (but i think that been like it for ages)

... any help is super appreciated

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like dodgy maf, or possibly the throttle switches?

3. andy1981 New Member

is it possible to repair the MAF? or is it a case of buying a second hand one?

4. Tristan

It's usually a replacement. You could try take off the plastic cover and check for wear on the track. Have a good look at the plug first, that the pins arent corroded in either the maf or the plug, or wires broken.

andy1981 likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

andy1981 likes this.
  6. clarky1961

clarky1961 Paid Member Paid Member

spray WD40 with engine running and if revs even out theres air leek in system perished rubber

andy1981 likes this.
  7. andy1981 New Member

Its shouldn't run? that's odd then, so why when i unplug it does it carry on running? does that still lead you to think its a faulty wire to the AFM?. Then engine starts first time then idles ruff, if i give it some revs it goes to stall but then i stop and it recovers to idle (roughy ) if i unplug the AFM it runs and then i can rev the engine perfectly fine. when i plug the AFM back in the revs kick up a bit and it returns to a ruff idle.. i found a cheap afm replacement so gave it a shot and yes its still the same. I've read through your guide a few times and will go over it tomorrow.

8. andy1981 New Member

Also where does the AFM cable go to? is it the fuse box?

9. andy1981 New Member

10. Tristan

I would say it goes to the ECU.

11. rubjonny

yes the AFM is wired direct to the ECU, its not the same as a MAF so you cant really use the guide above. I've covered AFM tests in my digifant troubleshooting guide :)

can you get the part number off your ECU, a digifant shouldn't start without the AFM so something is definitely fishy if it runs fine without it...

12. andy1981 New Member

Attached are couple of photos with part numbers on. Did a couple of tests, first i unplugged the ECU and the car wouldn't start. plugged it back in and it started. I then unplugged the AFM (black box on top of the filter) and it started but runs rough. If i unplug the AFM it runs but i wouldn't say its fine but it will rev without stalling, i haven't tried driving it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. rubjonny

ok thats the right ecu so all good there.

heres a diagram for the ecu you can use to check the wiring over
    g2pbecu-post90.jpg

andy1981 likes this.
  14. andy1981 New Member

This is where i'm going to struggle a bit. Can i test the loom from the ECU to the AFM wire by wire? my voltmeter skills are very basic.

15. rubjonny

yep, put your multimeter on resistance mode, beep mode if it has it then check between each pin on ecu to the plug ends. the ecu loom comes out easily, unplgu all the sensors and 1 or 2 plugs in the scuttle and out it comes

16. andy1981 New Member

Thanks John and everyone else for the help, i'll report back with what i find!

17. andy1981 New Member

just a little update as i'm currently fixing some rusty areas. I decided to pull the ECU to test it and as i pulled the cables apart loads of water dropped out of the the plug. I pulled the plugs apart and saw a lot of corrosion on the contacts (pic attached). I've brought the ECU in to clean and opened it to make sure the corrosion hasn't spread to the boards, happy to say it hasn't. haven't tested since as its raining again but will let you know.

[​IMG]

18. rubjonny

oof thats pretty nasty! is the ecu rain deflector missing? also make sure the scuttle drain on that side isnt blocked

19. andy1981 New Member

i was going to ask about it tbh. the main scuttle tray is the thin plastic one which has crumbled (looking for an alternative if you know of one) the deflector above the ECU is there not that its doing a good job. when you say scuttle drain do you mean the holes on the left of the ECU near the bonnet cable bung? if so they're clean.

20. rubjonny

yep those are the ones. you can get hard plastic versions of the ecu cover as well as the main rain tray, though these days they seem to have a lot of scene tax applied... You could try Brendon Moss on Facebook he probably has lots in stock and his prices are good :)