Mk2 Gti RPM counter

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Tristan, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

After following the guide here, I found the green wire from the fusebox for the Rev counter, but how does it work? I snipped the wire, and had full battery voltage with the engine running.

I'm trying to figure out if I can get the Mk2 RPM gauge, in a Digifant car, to work from an aftermarket ECU (OMEX) while using a Ford "EDIS" 3 pin coilpack.

Tia

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

green wire will be from the cluster which you shouldn't mess with. what you do is run your rev counter wire from ECU to fusebox pin D/26 on a CE1 car or G1/12 on a CE2 car same as factory. if you splice straight to the clocks this means ecu loom wont unplug without cutting this wire again, but if you run it to g1/12 it will all unplug separately as VW intended:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

the original mk2 signal is a high amp negative pulse from ignition coil negative, your first check is what kind of signal the omex ecu will output and go from there. usually aftermarket ecu signals are low amp and wont work with mk2 clusters, I have an Omex 200 manual which says it outputs a low amp signal so with that you would need a tach adaptor same as the 20v guys use

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks John, tach adapter it is so