Mk2 GTI Speedometer bed side clock

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Rjc662, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Rjc662 New Member

Hello!

I wasn't too sure where I could find advice on this being a female with zero car or clock knowledge, so hope someone here can help!

My dad is a major VW enthusiast, rebuilding and owning Mk1 and Mk2 golfs over the last 20+ years. He recently found a photo on instagram of a bedside clock made from a genuine VW speedometer. Id love to be able to have this made for him for Christmas this year so my question is, if one was to go about having this made, what would need to be done to make one? I can buy genuine MK2 GTI speedometer online, but having it converted into a time clock with a surround just seems way more than my capabilities would allow. Does anyone know who makes these in the UK or where to start?

Thanks in advance!

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

https://www.instructables.com/Speedometer-Wall-Clock/?amp_page=true

Or are you after something like this?
    Screenshot_20211130-123748_Chrome.jpg
    Which looks like a modded speedo, stripped out and a clock mechanism fitted.
    Probably simplest to mount a speedo face on thin mdf or similar and drill centre for clock spindle, then use a sticker for the 'mileage ' which could do as a birthday or something.
    Alternatively could just use a speedo face sticker and mount on mdf as may be easier to work with.
    I used to make art deco clocks for bit of extra dosh on the side, but unfortunately not got chance at moment to do it, definitely before Xmas I'm afraid.
    May have a scrap mk2 speedo head, if any use to you, I can look later.
    Hope that's some help.

Rjc662 likes this.
  3. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

It would probably have been "mygolfisslow" on Instagram, he made a few and auctioned them for charity. Stars must be aligned because @dodgy is right again! ;)
    He did it by mounting the face onto a standard clock movement, then making a nice wooden box for it.

dodgy likes this.
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

@NateS2 , I may try for a hat-trick by the end of the week. Stay tuned. :lol:

Tristan likes this.
  5. Rjc662 New Member

6. Rjc662 New Member

Yes! The steering wheel one is perfect! I know someone who could do the surround for me, and that actually seems far easier than I thought it would be. Thanks so much! I spent hours on Google looking for something like that but was coming up short!

dodgy likes this.
  7. Rjc662 New Member

I’m absolutely useless with these things. If you can show me the mk2 speedo head that would be brilliant- again, not a clue unless I see it lol! Thanks

8. bonus85 Forum Member

I've seen that same clock it's pretty cool. It's using a non gti spec cluster, these had a clock as standard in place of a rev counter. You'll want the wiring loom too to plug onto the back and whatever runs the clock ( I think that's built into the circuit board on the dials), to also run the green leds, and it would all need to be covered from 240v to 12v. I'm thinking of making one with my bro as I have the dials and he has the degree in electrical engineering

9. bonus85 Forum Member

10. Rjc662 New Member

This was the exact one he saw! It’s pretty cool for the enthusiasts out there. Good luck if you do attempt it!