Mk2 Gti wont start no dash warning lights?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by LeeMcD, Jun 7, 2007.

1. LeeMcD Forum Member

Mk2 Golf 8v GTi
    When key is in ignition trying to start car none of the red warning lights temp oil ect come on in the dash and the car wont start. Headlights stereo ect all work tho? Relays maybe fryed electrics any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

2. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

could be the ignition switch.

3. Leon R Forum Member

What happened previously to this? Was the car ok?

Could be an earthing issue and i know mk2 ignition switches are known to fail.

Test your battery voltage, check ALL the fuses by taking them out one by one as the cluster has its own one. You could have a fuseboard short by water getting into it.

4. LeeMcD Forum Member

The car was running ok but indicators stopped working which was traced to a relay after giving the relay a tap the dash warning lights went out and the starter would only click/whirr and now wont even make a sound? The car will bump start ok but will not run for long no fuses are blown. Will look at the ignition switch and fuse board main fuse now though thanks.

5. LeeMcD Forum Member

Found out it was switch thingy on the altenator thanks for all your help.

Regards from sunny cornwall..

6. Abbas hussain New Member

I know this was years ago, what switch on the alternator was it as I am having the same issue!!

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

There isn't a switch on the alternator.

All the dash lights go out iirc, while cranking, the "X" relay sends all the current to the essential places, like the starter, fuel pump, ecu.

What exactly is your problem?
    Have you tried a different battery?
    Checked the earth points?

8. Abbas hussain New Member

By switch I can only assume voltage regulator on the alternator. Mine was running (not driving) and would get to temp, fans kick in etc. a few weeks back whilst running it it just cut out and then no lights on dash. I was trying on a jump start today as you’re right, I need to try a new fresh battery. Fuel pump primes, needed another person to check for spark. But will try new battery as this one is old and buried and always needed a good 10 mins on a jump before starting the car.

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I usually fit the one sold for a diesel mk2, slots in on the same tray, but has a lot more juice.