Mk2 Jetta Coupe DRT Rebuild

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by stephcasscar, Dec 30, 2018.

1. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

I’ve now got some time to sort out a couple of my dubs,

I’ve just started on renovating this one , so I might be asking for bits if I can’t find them, its been a few years.

its a left hand drive 2li 16v ring toy that a built about a decade ago for Bren at the ring.

[​IMG]

2. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

LHD to come out and uprate the small servo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rust on fire wall and a little bit on offside front arm to deal with and general condition of engine bay to tidy up

[​IMG]

striped all surface rust off and attacked the areas with stabiliser

[​IMG]

3 coats od primer later an 2 coats of diamond silver
    [​IMG]

3. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Engine belts finished off to go back in

[​IMG]

I did dig out some servos yesterday , unfortunately none were very presentable so I had to strip and sand down the biggest mk2 one I could find and treat the rust . I was unable to use the LHD one as it had fluid in the servo housing and the actuator arm was not going to work with the RHD pedal box.

[​IMG]

The strip down and rust treatment , using a heat gun helped to speed up the process.

[​IMG]

That hammerite krust stuff works really well.

[​IMG]

Three coats of zinc phosphate primer and 3 coats of black gloss

][​IMG]

I then had to sort out the disintegrated foam problem, first I hovered out the dust then packed a replacement sponge and cover that I took off a mk4 golf servo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dug out a CE2 90 speck jetta loom , just had to check it was all present before offering it to the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it’s mostly complete, but I also had to dig out the kjet specific bits, I also found central locking system , may as well shove that on while I’m at it.

[​IMG]

Sub frame has now been refitted to the car and I got the drill out and finished making the holes in the bulkhead for the servo and the steering UJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

4. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Update

The majority of the wiring loom is in, and attached to the fuse box, I done this prior to fitting the pedal box and steering column

[​IMG]

Jetta is now RHD , I couldn’t use the LHD pedal box as it wouldn’t fit on the bulkhead so I use a standard golf mk2 pedal box and RHD fuse box holder ,

I did save the original steering column , however I will have to change the ignition switch to a CE2 switch.

[​IMG]

With the steering and servo in it was time to get the engine back in, unfortunately, before doing so I had to repaint the bulkhead as I wreaked the pain when I was burning the sound deafening from the other side

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

With that sorted I had to fit a replacement heatshield. Rather than hunting for the VW originals , I opted for a piece of ally sheet, as I could only see a couple of shields, neither the one I wanted.

[​IMG][/URL]

That all went pretty smoothly so I cracked on and got the engine and gearbox in . Rather than tart up the gearbox I gave it a pressure wash , dried it off and connected it to the engine.

[​IMG]

And for my last for the of the day , I thought I would start stripping down the bumper

[​IMG]

Work with the heat gun did the job and the paint came off pretty quickly, I also used the heat to reshape the bumper back to its original shape.

[​IMG]

Sirguydo likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

nice work so far!

just FYI the outer column tube is also different for CE2 models so if you used the LHD CE1 tube that'll need swapping. Can swap a CE1 ignition switch to a CE2 ignition housing though so can keep original key :thumbup:

stephcasscar likes this.
  6. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Rub , all ready done it thanks in part to your wiring FAQ

Not lifted a spanner for over 7 year prior to this project , so many thanks for keeping your thread up , mechanical’s I know of the back off my hand but wiring and colour has been forgotten in some areas for sure , it’s been very good revision reading the fuse box thread

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good stuff, crack on then lets see some more pics :p

8. BISSONE Forum Member

Interesting project, be nice to see where it ends up. :thumbup:

9. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

I had to go on a hunting trip in the garages and workshop to get the next parts together

All the lines, metering head, kjet system WUR etc and all the fixings to mount to the car.

The inlet manifold was looking a little neglected so I gave it a re-polish

I then hand a shelf load of parts ready to fit onto the car.

[​IMG]

All cleaned up with new gaskets ready to go on

[​IMG]

Inlet manifold installed, I used some Loctite gasket sealant to ensure a good seal to the head. ,this was a 1 cup of tea job.

[​IMG]

Next off was getting the KJet system lines and plumbing in, followed by installing the ECU, TCI, Coil, dizzy and leads. , pretty straight forward .

[​IMG]

The various cables for the seat clutch system and actuator, speedo and accelerator so they have been fitted too. Then it was back to the garages to dig out more stuff.

This is the body kit, with pretty rare rear Jetta GTI spoilers

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Still not sure what to do with the front , single, twin, with badge, without, jetta lights or not Hmmmmmmmmmm

And the black bonnet is going silver

[​IMG]

10. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Trying to keep the momentum up with this refurbishment is not easy now that its full steam ahead again at work , but thankfully EastEnders is on telly most nights so I can escape to the man cave for a couple of hours .

Under tray

With the Zender bumper , it needs an under tray, so I had to go hunting in the garages for one, its usually the first thing I ditch as it hinders access to the bumper brackets . This one needed a bit of rust removal , treatment and painting.

[​IMG]
    Grill and under tray

Before painting I decided to open up the round apertures that are used to access the front bumper bolts. I can now put my hand through and now, no restriction.

[​IMG]

Slam panel stripped down

[​IMG]

The singles are gone

3 slat grill donor

After a chat with the Lizard the other day and looking at the Cars left website I noticed that there were less than 20 Jetta GTI 16v left on the road in the UK and I expect this to be one of a handful of 16v coupes in the UK, so this may as well get the GTI treatment and bring another one back.
    I found a 5, 7 and 3 slat jetta options and I think the 3 slat is the better looking. , then I hunted out a jetta slam panel and lights.

[​IMG]

Slam panel rust removal

After stripping down the panel it was pretty obvious that it was gonna need a bit of work , so out with the wire wheels and brushes

[​IMG]

Slam panel rust treatment

I really like this krust stuff and I am hoping it’ll keep the rust at bay for a while.

[​IMG]

Slam panel primer

As this will be covered , I thought I would give it some really thick coats of primer before painting

[​IMG]

Slam panel painted

As with the primer, I painted on two coats of thick black enamel.
    [​IMG]

3 slat mock up

Mocked up and back together, , I didn’t like the shinny crome VW center bacge so I swapped that out with a nice black one, next was to decide on badges so ive gone for a 90 spec 16V GTI badge.
    [​IMG][/URL]

3 slap grill fitted

[​IMG]

Zender Front bumper (Wet and dry sanded)

Finished removing the paint from this rather large gold bumper with the heat gun, then it was on to sanding , 240 grit, 400 grit, 600 grit to get it primer ready.
    [​IMG][/URL]

Front bumper painted ( this was 3 layers later, I gave it 5 layers in total to give a good base.

[​IMG]

Finished front bumper and wheel arch fitting

This took a bit of fettling , the bumper needed raised 15mm to fill a gap between the bumper and slam panel, I also had to fit and cut the wheel arches to suit the bumper.

[​IMG]

Front bumper final fitting before paint

I wanted to make sure it fitted properly before painting it and risk damaging the paint if I needed to cut something off or is it needed persuasion.

[​IMG]

11. BISSONE Forum Member

Great progress :thumbup: Nice to see the updates

12. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Still managed to make time for the Jetta this week and I spend a few ours fitting today.

Engine Cooling

Well, it was a wee bit of an issue , I started off with this radiator and cowling at the start of the week, however when I started stripping it there was unfortunately more rust than solid metal, so its trash tbh.

[​IMG],

My second attempt on the parts hunt with my maglight I found this , this will work.
    This is the 16v fan with the twin speed fan so I hooked it up to the battery and all good both speeds work. As you can see it does have some rust present so I thought I best strip it down to bare metal.

[​IMG]

On with a knot wire disk on the angle grinder and 20 min later it was looking pretty good

[​IMG]

I then gave it some Krust treatment to stabilise ant rust spores prior to painting
    [​IMG]

On with the paint

[​IMG]

After testing the rad under pressure with the garden hose on full, I thought I spotted a weep from the rad, so I had to get a replacement, quick ebay search and I found a new one for £29 quid , arrived next day.

[​IMG]

Left the paint to dry for a couple of day then put it all back together ready for fitting.

[​IMG]

I fitted it back in the car today with all the silicone water pipes, I had to put a matrix delete pipe for the moment as ive not started on the deafening , heating and dash yet.
    Water and oil systems are now closed now, so I can fill the engine up ready for starting soon

[​IMG]

Brakes

Another job this week was to decide on brakes , I notice I have a few sets on the shelf so I thought I would opt for the biggest. VR6 288
    These have not been used in 10 years so time for a strip down and rebuild.

[​IMG]

After stripping the easy bits the carriers and pads off, I had to get the pistons out. They were solid, so I used a g clap to push them in a bit before popping them out.

[​IMG]

Connected an old brake to the braided line in the caliper and then connected it to the pump, a few pumps later and both caliper pistons were out.

[​IMG]

Out with the knotted disk brush and Stripped down and rust treated

[​IMG]

Ready for painting

[​IMG]

13. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Work stalled a little bit due to the cold and the snow , so not much done last week

But some worthwhile jobs completed anyway.

The brakes hung up ready for painting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Calliper’s ready for rebuilding, rebuild kit was only £13:00

[​IMG]

The drive shafts were next , both CV’s had full movement and boots were not damage , inner will be repacked and out with fresh cv grease, it was a messy job cleaning them up.

The driveshaft bodies however had lots of rust present, I got the files out to see how deep the rust was before getting the disk sander and wire brush out to get it off before rust treatment.

[​IMG]

As I was stuck in the shed I got the replacement hubs out, stripped them down and gave them a rust treatment also.

[​IMG]

Drive shafts got the rust treatment then primed and painted

[​IMG]

After treatment the Hubs been painted and have replacement bearings fitted and pressed back together.

[​IMG]

Fingers crossed from some milder weather and I can get it all fitted before starting on the back, bottom and interior, etc etc etc

14. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Last update has been a while, unfortunately due to being reversed into on the way to work and a new project at work I haven’t been as quick on the progress , until this last couple of weekends.

feck knows why the picture size is huge press control - advised

Front end has been rebuilt

[​IMG]

The black on the exterior has been stripped repainted and new arch covers

[​IMG]

The bumpers have been stripped filled and repainted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bonnet has been stripped and repainted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front end is looking sorted

IMG]https://oi34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/theshsa/Jetta/IMG_7461_zpsa2quz18c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Interior has been stripped and new deadening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fan system

[​IMG]

Replacement dash

[​IMG]

Replacement Carpets

[​IMG]

HAV system recon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]