Mk2 optimum track wheel and tyre sizes

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Gazhatt, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Gazhatt Forum Member

Looking for some advise on track orientated wheel and tyre package for my Mk2. I'm currently running 15x7 pro race 1's et35 with 195/50 888's with ap 4pots and 305 discs fitted snuggly behind.

The front end is 4 stud vr wide-tracked (approx 25mm) and the rear runs 20mm stub axle spacers.

The tyres were rubbing slightly with the arch lips hammered back so the arches have been cut, pulled, welded and are in the process of being finished off.

pics:

[​IMG],

[​IMG]

I've always wanted to stay with 15's but I want to run a wider tyre ( traction bit of a problem [:D]) and there doesn't seem to be much available in 15inch, similar problem with 16's so can 17's work? possibly a pro race 7.5 or 8inch rim with a 225/45/r17 tyre? offsets? I'm hoping the arches will accomodate.

Obviously gearing will be affected with the rolling diameter increasing by about 60mm, currently running 02A box with quaiffe but thinking about a stronger box with a plate diff some time.

Some excellent info on the 'slicks' thread, but I've got to keep to road legal tyes - 1 set of wheels - so maybe considering Federal 595 RS-R's or Hankook RS2's now that the 888's need a lottery win!!

Any thoughts much appreciated and don't slate me for 17's but the car is function over looks and I would like to know what will work best.

Tia
    Gary

2. catapultkid New Member

I have also wondered this to some extent as well. I almost, and still may, run a 255/40/17 because as soon as you jump into the 17 world you can get a lot of rubber for a little bit of money. Of course, like you stated, run a Higher FD ratio. You see E30 guys on the track going from 205/50/15 to 245 or 255 17s all the time. Similar weight, similar power, similar issues.

Just my .02 cents

3. Gazhatt Forum Member

Following up on this, think I'll be going for an 17 x 8 pro race wheel - not sure on offset yet, any thoughts and opinions on tyre size?

Federal RS-R's are looking favourite due to the price of 888's[:^(]
    I know these tyres seem to run pretty wide so I'm thinking 215/40ZR17 or 225/45ZR17, maybe 215/45ZR17?

The overall diameter of my 15's in pic below is 572mm, tyre wall 97.5mm

[​IMG][​IMG]

the 215's overall diameter is 603mm, tyre wall 86mm and the 225's 633mm, tyre wall 101.25mm. I think the arches will cope with these depending on offset.

The car has >400bhp potential so I'm looking for a balance of decent contact patch for traction but also keeping the car 'agile' and responsive.

any thoughts much appreciated

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

If you struggled on R888s the Federals will not be any better imo. Have you thought about working on the the suspension setup to help grip? Higher rate springs etc?

Gurds

5. Gazhatt Forum Member

Hi Gurds, not expecting the federals to be any better than the same size 888's but looking for a wider wheel and tyre combo than the 195's on the 7inch wheel I'm currently running now the arches have been 'adjusted'.

Et will have to be considered to keep any wider tyre clear of the coil over platforms, this then will affect the scrub-radius too - need to try and get my head around that one[:s]

High power is always going to be an issue with fwd but it can be tamed with lower boost - 250bhp on actuator and adjustable from there up - just looking for an ideal wheel tyre combo now the arches can accommodate more than the 15x7's

cheers
    gary

6. idrivemyself New Member

One of these might fit the bill:

Kosei K4R, 15x8, et 20

TRM C1, 15x8, et 20

Both happen to be fairly lightweight and at a reasonable cost. Not sure what shipping and VAT would total up to, but at $99 USD each the C1s are incredibly cost effective. I have a set of the C1s for my Mk I in 15x7 and am quite pleased with the quality and weight for the price.

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

My car was blood awful on 17`s (Koni coilovers, poly bushed, thicker ARB`s). Night and day when I dropped back down to 15`s again.

8. Gazhatt Forum Member

Keith, what size tyres were you running? which way was it awful? that had always been my thoughts on 17's but I really need to run a much wider tyre probably a 215 or 225. I'm limited on 15 inch wheels due to availability in 8inch that will clear my brakes - rizla paper clearence with my brake friendly pro race 1's and the lack of wider track type tyres in 15's

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Can`t remember the width, maybe a 205?, 40 profile with Eagle F1`s. Car was slower to turn in and bumps mid corner seemed to unsettle it a lot more than the 195/50/15`s. I used it on the road too which was unbearable with the 17`s and Koni coilovers.

Try and get some weights of wheels+tyres in different sizes, less unspring mass the better.

To be honest it may be down to driving style, I like to lean on the tyres and feel the sidewalls move, don`t really get that with low profile tyres.

10. lewp91 Forum Member

avon r500s come in 245 15" tyres :p any help?

11. Gazhatt Forum Member

cheers keith, 205's with a 40 profile will only have an 82mm sidewall so not a lot to lean on there - 97.5mm on a 195/50. I'll probably go for a 215 or 225 in a 40 or 45 profile, gives a little more sidewall.

not seen those - thinking they are geared towards the lightweight caterhams but unfortunately td don't make the prorace's in 8x15 - wouldn't run wider than 205 on a 7" wheel.