Mk2 Rear air suspension top mount help!!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by vwg123, Jan 13, 2019.

1. vwg123 Forum Member

Hopefully someone can help, been pulling my hair out...

Bought secondhand rear air suspension, fitted Mk2 mounts etc all in the correct order (double and triple checked) however when I jack the axle up so the bottom mount is compressed into the underside of the turret it creates and gap between the top mount and the turret of about 5mm. This is with the two small plates either side of the top mount tightened down.

So is this ok? When I spoke to air lift performance in America they said as long as the top mount is compressed between the two plates it is safe. I would have thought the top mount would have to be compressed to the turret??

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

are you using a 2nd nut between the bag sleeve and the upper mount metal cup things? if so take it out and see if that sorts it

3. vwg123 Forum Member

No i’m not, the sleeve’s on these are fixed in place unlike normal coil-overs so no nut is required!

4. vwg123 Forum Member

It’s almost like the bottom mount is not tall enough. If it was taller the top mount would sit lower, are Mk2 and Mk3 rear mount excaxtly the same dimension wise?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2 and mk3 use the same mounts, but if yours are used they might be a bit squished.

as they say though its safe how it is, all the top bush does is stop the strut falling out the car when its lifted up. front mounts are similar the upper retainer has a gap to the strut so it can turn but wont fall out if car is jacked up.

you would have to machine up a spacer between the top of the bags and the lower mount to close up that gap, I was hoping you had used the lower nut as removing that would do the same

6. vwg123 Forum Member

Ok thanks rj, i’m Happy with then i’ll Buy some fresh mounts, I needed peace of mind that it’s safe with the gap.

Now on to the next problem area..new thread required!