mk2 roll cage (fitting page 5)

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Dec 29, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

What a pain in the ass it is trying to sort out the cage I want. [xx(]

Basically want a 6 point bolt in.

Safety Devices still ain't up and running. Peter Lloyd said check back in January..

OMP are cheap enough but they don't fit cars with sunroofs (I want to keep that)

Wiechers are ok and they do a cage to fit sunroof cars, but the cage I'd want (45mm with door bars and X brace) is 600 from AAT (seems a lot of cash for a simple bolt in cage!!)

http://www.wiechers-sport.de/

Roll Centre do a cage for about 500 anyone used them?

http://www.rollcentre.co.uk/

Had a quote of 115+VAT per point from a guy who builds drag cars and the like from Northampton. (6x115 + vat seems a lot for a bolt in cage too)
    Edited by: GVK

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Ever think of making one to your own spec ?
    Got to be cheaper and probably better.

3. GVK

You can buy a weld in kit from Roll Centre, few of the lads have had them in mk1s and they're a proper multi point motorsport cage - about 300 ish for the kit which is basically a load of tubing and some pre bent hoops.

Mad20v used one

Great cage, proper job etc etc , but my problem being no other mode of transport while we fit this thing, it can take a fair few days to do, where as a simple bolt in cage can be fitted in a day or so, all the welding that needs to be done for the mountings doesn't take too long. And generally with the bolt in cages you can fit some of the trim back in (again it's the only mode of transport so I don't want it totally stripped)
    Edited by: GVK

4. Mad 20v Forum Member

Still thinking about that cage G :) , its like i havent been away.

Can you get an OMP one and cut 30mm or what ever you need off the bottom and reweld it to the base plates???

Russ had a bolt in Roll Centre cage it vibrated like hell but that could just be a feature of all bolt in cages.

5. GVK

Hi Graham hope you're ok, in the last year I've had 3 or 4 gearbox rebuilds, which kinda put paid to the cage funds :lol:

My brother got killed just before Christmas and he always nagged me about not having a cage and doing track days - so now he's not here to nag I better get something sorted[:$]

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

did you see the mail i sent you

7. thebluebus Forum Junkie

can't suggest anyone gary but can confirm a bolt in one will go in, in a day easy. If i can do it, i'm sure you can :thumbup:

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

my sparco one was cheaper then omp im sure they do them for sunroof mk2s did u see the pics i posted up im sure there was something else i had to say [:$]

9. GVK

Saw your pics of the cage wrapped up Craig.

10. sim9 Forum Member

Gary, if you buy a Weichers Cage through Ring Racing they will let you use their facilities for fitting, for a small fee.

I had the use of their 2 post ramp and tools for 1/2 a day to fix my mates Audi and they were happy with 35

If you buy a cage i`m sure they`ll even help you fit it!

Plus its another good excuse to go to the ring.[:D]

I`ve just got a 2nd hand OMP cage for the car i`m planning on leaving in Germany.

As soon as its a bit warmer i`ll let you know what its like.

First impressions are it isn`t as good as a Safety Devices cage, but it looks like it will be easier to fit!

11. GVK

Could do Simon,I spoke to Meino @ RR when we were there in the Summer about them,he was very helpful actually.

I'll get something sorted. :thumbup:

12. road rally Forum Member

I had a rollcentre cage in my Mk1. Fitted without too much trauma, didn't seem to have any vibration probs mentioned in another post.

13. mk1. Forum Junkie

14. Keith R Forum Member

Hi Gary,

You could always try Andy at Tracksport. He builds bespoke cages to your specification (see his website:http://www.awtracksport.com/products/chassis/rollcage.php)

I don't know how local you are to him though, but I'm guessing you live within a reasonable distance from Cadwell. He's only 10 minutes from Cadwell I think.

I'm proof of how good his cages are:lol:. The reason I didn't suffer any damage from my roll was because the cage was so tight and also welded to the edge of the roofat 4 points.

Good luck with the hunting.

15. iguana Forum Member

Its a really decent & proper professional piece of kit in the flesh that cage. However its heck of a lot of dosh & not really suited to those tight of budget! ;)
    Edited by: iguana

16. GVK

1500 for the Jetta cage. ;)

17. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Would that be a cage for a 2 door jetta belonging to an unfeasibly tall bloke?

and without looking at the link i'm guessing that's andy robinson with the 10 second studebaker?

18. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

My cage is a roll centre one, seems to fit alright, don't know what they are like deal with though, as mine was another secondhand finchy bargain! [:$]

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

off topic but with so much cut out of the door did he still have a handle & if so how did he secure it when driving thenunlock it to get out?

[​IMG]

20. GVK

At a guess I'd expect it to still have a standard door catch, with maybe a cable to pull from the inside to release it. I've seen on some VW cup cars they just loop round the cable inside to make a door pull.