Mk2 Scirocco 1.8t RWD

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mk2daz, Mar 25, 2020.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Did you make the triangulated rear axle? Or was it one of the bits you picked up? Looks good:thumbup:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

theres a DPA and CDA code, iirc one has the 02c cast and other is 02a? or it may be age related, not 100% why they had them tbh just a theory I had since you often see the abf box with the casting and VW did a lot of motorsprot with the mk3 & ibiza/toledo abf cars in the 90s

Mk2daz likes this.
  3. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks - Its one of the bits I picked up :)

There will be some more pictures of it coming soon when it gets bolted to the floor once iv treated the underside.

mr.brown likes this.
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The CDA followed by the DPA gearbox for late cars, had 2 iterations of 02C bellousings. The gearbox is still classed a "02A" and a MQ250.
    Indeed mere enthusiasts like some of us, will wonder why did the OE not fetch 02A parts, which were used on some diesel models as well as Corrado/Passat cars.
    As Jon hinted, the use of components that had origins from Rallye, possibly had to do with Seat and Volkswagen works teams and homologation of production parts for say GrpA vehicles.
    That means very little for the durability of the gearbox and its internal components, if you turn up the boost on your 20vT, beyond 250 Nm. Which you will [:D]
    If you had hotgolf give the gearbox his blessing, then that visit will help the longevity of the gearbox, even at 350 Nm!

erreesse likes this.
  5. Mk2daz

Very informative - thank you.

The gearbox will indeed be getting the Gas N Gears blessing!

6. Mk2daz

Bit more progress

Front valance was rotten around the bottom lip, and i could see the crash panel behind was going too

Cracked on welding in some fresh metal, nice and solid now

[​IMG]Mk2 rocco resto 1 by Daz Scirocco, on Flickr

[​IMG]Untitled by Daz Scirocco, on Flickr

Then bolted up the wings and tackled the front valance lip , its not perfect but it will do for me, the wings bolt up to the valance in a few places so wanted to recreate the original bolt locations

various holes in the drivers side rear wheel well, funnily enough all the holes correlate to the fuel filler neck bracket points, also some rot on the inner skin of the fuel filler which was shit to weld! Anyway got it all done

Done some seam welding for additional strength, and braced the steering rack mounting points using a cut from the old brake linkage bar

Went over the entire floorpan, inner wings, rear wheel wells and lower section of engine bay with some red scotchbrite to scuff it up for a key and to remove leftover bits of underseal

Then zinc primered the whole floor

Seam welded wishbones were rubbed down and zinc primered also

Painted the front hubs black

Will soon have it rolling again and i can order up engine mounts etc, gearbox will going away soon for wavetrac fitting and shorter final drive from Martin at Gas n Gears.

Will need to source some suspension, got my eyes on some BC racing coilies

Scuffed up everything again with some red scotchbrite, then nailed on some Gravitex stonechip

Then keyed the stonechip up and fired on some high build primer i had laying about, ready for final coat of basecoat tommorow

Dismantled the triangulated rear beam setup i picked up locally and rubbed it down clearing any rust that was pushing through, now painted gloss black

Wishbones finished in gloss black

Steering rack also finished in gloss black

Thanks for reading:)

Vinnie, erreesse and Savagesam like this.
  7. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Loving the progress on this, keep it up :)

Mk2daz likes this.
  8. Mk2daz

bit behind on updates again

Underneath gear all re assembled after paint

Painted the floor, turns out the paint was fiat 500 white, there was only just enough for one coat, so i grew a pair and ordered a 5L tin of 2k ibis white to finish off the floor and to paint the rest of the car with

Waiting for paint to arrive so cracked on with welding up the wings, indicator holes plugged up and aerial plugged up, these then received the same treatment as the floors, arch lips were rolled/flattened/hammered and seam sealed up

Fully scuffed up the floors for next coat of paint and seam sealed the chassis too where id welded

The pass door i have had some serious rust issues going on, so cut out the rot on this one and cut out a patch from a scrap door i have and welded it in, sprayed over just now but a skim of filler come bodywork time should see it nice

Delays on paint delivery continued, no issues though, I've got plenty to be cracking on with

Next up the wiring looms, all fully stripped of stuff i dont need, like rear wiper, front fogs etc etc etc, cleaned up and fixed any broken wires, getting rid of any bodgery from previous alarm installs etc

1.8t engine loom and ce1 engine loom both stripped down ready for splicing, i printed off and followed rubjonnys guide, im doing it so it all becomes plug and play with the mk4 t14a plug. Over a few days managed to get pretty much all of it done however there was a good few wires i wasnt sure about but a few messages exchanged with John and the loom is now pretty much complete, all it needs is the tach converter wired in and some of the mk4 style plugs spliced on then it should be good for testing the first start.

Not many exciting pics here other than this, wires awai!

Paint finally arrived

Wasting no time everything underneath recieved 2 coats of ibis white

Some epic runs in the wings and lower engine bay, i put way too much 2k thinners in the paint mix i think

Following day started to reassemble

The wallet has took a bit of a hit in this update [​IMG]

Emerald K6+, also a wideband lambda + controller to substitute the AGU narrowband effort

Emerald AGU adapter so i can use the OEM (ce1 converted) mk4 loom without the need for heaps and heaps of splicing

also a tach adapter to allow the scirocco rev counter to work

Bought some sweets and they came with a full set of engine mounts, had to get the beefy uprated front engine mount after seeing the pics of it in another thread, I had been eyeing it up before but that sealed the deal. Also a new timing belt, mk2 16v tensioner and spacer, diesel rear mount bushing (beefier than the normal petrol efforts, handy for engine conversion) and some standard mount bushings for the sides

Cleaned up and painted some more bits like headlight brackets

Bracket on the front of the block, chopped down as wont be running no power steering on this

Lightened flywheel on, need to torque the bolts up to spec though

Some suspension pinched from my other scirocco just to get this one rolling for now

suspension and hubs on, steelies bolted up and car flipped over ready to come off the spit

I lifted up each end while dad removed blocks, worked our way down till she was on the ground, car was nice and light, able to lift each end myself, some fair weight saving with all the stuff that was cut off/removed

So now shes down on the ground, feels good!!

Next up, fill this empty space

thanks for taking the time to read [​IMG]

1990, erreesse, xan_lee and 1 other person like this.
  9. BISSONE Forum Member

Fair play! Nice to still be able to read some good build threads on here!

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Great work, keep it up. Lots and lots of hours in it, respect
    Jon

11. Mk2daz

bit of work on the engine before i pop it in

new timing belt and water pump fitted using mk2 16v tensioner to make way for the engine mount bracket, engine mount bush pressed in upside down to make way for AGU bonnet clearance

I ended up doing this a couple times, as i wasnt happy with the epytec stud that was supplied as shown in pic, far too long for the cambelt cover to sit nice, i also decided in the end to bin the stud and use a 12.9 tensile bolt instead for piece of mind

6PK925 gates serpentine belt fitted, gave the pulleys a quick lick of paint in the process ( you can see the epytec stud sticking out here, i made a hole in the cambelt cover for it before i decided to bin it)

sachs vr6 clutch fitted with diy clutch alignment tool

gearbox on

was nipping up some of the manifold studs etc, some of them are a right pain to get to!!

Manifold sits up against the rocker cover, might need to get some kind of spacer/gasket thing, or take a bit off the rocker cover, any ideas?

Bolted the engine in, as i was slipping in the bolt for the drivers side i dropped a washer down the cambelt cover, so had to lift it out again to remove some stuff to get the washer out, it was too close to the timing belt for my liking!

Engine in via the two side mounts

Lining up the front mount and it doesnt line up for sh*t!! needs shifted 10mm or so

Plan is to run some even longer starter bolts and space the mount over slightly

The rear mount i have was listed for 02a/02j, but after lining it up there is no way in hell it will fit this gearbox, after a bit of research i found the mount is not suitable for CDA code boxes - ace

Looks like I'm going to need to fab something up myself or find someone that makes them for the CDA boxes, anyone able to help here?

02a shifter tower removed and late 02j shifter tower from local scrappy bolted in, also got some cable ends for the shifter cables, which makes for quite an improvement over the 02a stuff apparently

bolted up some lights, and cut down a mk2 golf single light grill, also bolted up the wings, it looks pretty badass, rough and ready !!

I need to work out alot of stuff before i even get close to trying to start this thing up !!

1990, erreesse and Toyotec like this.
  12. Mk2daz

Managed to get the front mount on with some longer starter bolts and a couple spacers, buzzed a couple mm off it to clear the oil filter housing, that'll do

next issue, the ko4 sits right where the shifter cables run to the shifter cable mount, the mount is quite essential for the cables to connect to the tower at the correct angle, I'm wanting to run a badger 5 80mm TIP so needed to come up with a solution here as it is also directly above the speedo cable location

I grabbed another 02J shifter cable mount from the scrappy to cut up and reweld with some minor mods, was having issues with the welder so the welding is ugly! Think I'll make a better one in the future but for now this will do the job fine

Cables now clear enough for the 80mm TIP, speedo cable is close but will clear ok, this pic is before the bracket was finished, but you get the idea

Next up i wanted a raised shifter but wasn't keen on paying CAE shifter prices (~1k!!)

The OEM shifter works well enough for me so i set about building a 'box' to mount it too

Heres the results after mocking it up with an old bucket seat my dad use to use back in the 90s, I need to get a dimple die/swage tool to finish it off and strengthen it some more

and finished and mounted, the cables look a bit stressed in this pic but they are actually sitting quite nice with a bit of slack

then welded in a plate over the old shifter hole, sealed it up underneath too

Couple of pics of the finished floorpan with it up on the lift, before the above welding was done

and how its looking currently, lots of things to work out and plumb in but im keen to get cracking

sciroccos awai!

I've been looking at way too many berg cup mk1s (both golfs and sciroccos) and now i want to go down that route on this thing, i know its a mk1 but i think this looks perfect, right up my street!!

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  13. Mk2daz

Finally tracked down the proper CDA gearbox mount, its a fair bit different to what i originally had! Fired it on with some random bolts for now to check fitment..

This holes need to be tapped out to M8..

100mm driveshafts cleaned up and quick lick of paint, then fitted

couple of pics of state of play rolled out in the daylight

Been doing a fair bit of planning for the coolant lines, simplifying the OEM setup and deleting the heater matrix I came up with this on good old MS paint

New mk2 golf GTD rad, 725mm wide, beast!

Some slimline fans to fully utilise the space too

Picked up a few more bits including a frame that was originally housing a mk4 rad and FMIC form a different car

I modified it a fair bit to make it fit in the scirocco and to house my oil cooler up front, it now bolts to the chassis legs either side and braces the whole front end

mocking it up

welding on tabs for oil cooler to bolt too

This bonnet latch guide bit on the slam panel was rotten, i probably could have snapped it myself with some force

I'll be using bonnet pins so the original latch is not required no more...

cut it all out, welded in a new bracket to the intercooler frame, this then bolts to the front slam panel like so, couple of swaged holes and the front end is solid now

Frame removed and painted with zinc primer for now

then all fitted again, with some little brackets a made up to secure the rad, plenty of space in a rocco!

Following my coolant diagram, this metal water pipe was cut down so only two outlets were left, then welded up the open end and painted in zinc primer for now

Starting to gather up some more parts to complete the engine

Badger 5 80mm TIP

I've just chucked on a small ram-air cone filter for now but theres plenty of space left for something much bigger.

ko4 debaffled charge pipe from creations motorsport, clears the manifold which i was worried it wouldn't, I'll just need to make up some brackets to support it

I also ordered new coolant hose from these guys after alot of measuring of internal diameters

DV and N75 plumbed up temporarily,

not fully decided what I'm doing with the breather system just yet with the hockey puck etc, I want to run a catch can and I stumbled across this diagram that simplifies it all right down, probably try replicate this with some AN fittings.

No pics unfortunately but fired on a thermostat controlled mocal oil cooler sandwich plate with a smaller oil filter for additional clearance, once i get the fittings in for running this off to the cooler up front i'll get some pics

Not too much to do now until I can try start it up:

• need to get my AN fittings welded on to my fuel rail and run all the fuel lines to the bay
    • order up and fit the last of the intercooler pipework
    • plumb up the rest of the coolant lines
    • fit the loom and set up the Emerald ECU with an appropriate base map

Cheers for Reading [​IMG]

erreesse, xan_lee and Savagesam like this.
  14. BISSONE Forum Member

Lovely build so far pal :clap:

Mk2daz likes this.
  15. Mk2daz

Slightly better pic of Mocal oil cooler sandwich plate with smaller oil filter, this is thermostatically controlled and runs off to the oil cooler up front

I cut up my shiny new charge pipe at the end so i could mate it to a 15 degree stainless elbow, got some dude to TIG weld it up for me as well as some AN-6 fittings to the end of the fuel rail.

Then ran some fuel lines through the car up to the back where i have basically mocked up my fuel system, think I'll locate the pumps etc inside a box in the spare wheel well. Fuel lines will be as they are just now but with some AN-6 bulkhead fittings and a shit load of heat protection engine bay side. Just gonna run a standard scirocco tank underneath, this means i can use standard fuel gauge sender for the clocks - hassle free.

Converted the oil breather system to AN fittings too, this is not quite finished yet as need to get AN-12 fitting welded to the rocker cover, lines are just push on into a cheapo catch can for now. I've had a custom AN-12 catch can made up by Jim at Alloy Race Fabrications, pics of that to follow at some point.

blanked off this outlet from the TIP as not required.

So getting close to first start now. Hooked up the Emerald and connected to it through the software. Loaded up a 1.8t base map that the previous owner of the emerald had on there.

Fired in the loom and wired up the fuel pumps. Then filled her with oil and fitted the rest of the downpipe (its cabled tied to hold it up, its actually a very very good fit!)

Tried to start it and got nothing, the emerald should see when the engine is cranking by registering an engine speed in the live adjustments tab and by turning the LED green on the outer casing, and when it does it will give the injectors and spoark module the go ahead to crack on

I was getting no reading from the crank sensor. I chased and tested the wiring for a good while before trying out another 2nd hand sensor, straight away got a reading, ace!

Fuel pump wasn't priming on ignition though, or running when cranking. Again chased wiring for a while, all my wiring checked out okay, ECU wasn't earth triggering the fuel pump relay which was a mk2 167 type. Tried on the AGU ecu and it primed as normal. At this point I got a bit worried, thinking the Emerald was somehow damaged internally. Few emails back and fore to Karl at Emerald highlighted i had the incorrect software version for the K6+. Downloaded the uprated version and configured the fuel pump relay output to pin 20 and the pumps then buzzed away on ignition - superb. On the Emerald they are preset to prime for 5 seconds!

At this point i tried to start it, it was firing but sounding really really rough, not idling or anything. Sounded like it was firing off a single cylinder only!

I wasn't running a MAP sensor (d'oh!) and the Emerald was expecting one! Fitted a Vauxhall Delphi 3 bar map sensor and wired it up. Configured it to basic settings in the map but this seems to vary from car to car.

During this time i was also asking the Nick (Team Prawn Racing) a shit load of questions. He's very knowledgable when it comes to the emerald software and mapping and actually helped me to configure my base map to tailor it a bit more to my needs for my current setup - cheers mate!

I'm still running the 386cc BAM injectors which are going to need swapped for some 550cc/630cc ones, so at the moment the boost PWM is pretty much set to 0, so no heavy revving just yet.

Anyway, enough waffle, heres a clip of the first proper start. Alot of the data being logged is not quite what i expect it to be, for example EGT and AFR is giving me back nothing.

So aye, plenty and plenty and plenty of learning still to be done. But i have a running car now. Satisfying to know the loom i made up worked first time round too (Thanks to RubJonny for the guide on the forum and for answering all my questions!)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    erreesse likes this.
  16. Mk2daz

Heres the custom catch can made up from Jim at ARF, AN-12 fittings for feed and return and 19mm push on fitting for breather filter.

Planning to mount it round about here, where the bulkhead is reinforced for the OEM servo location.

Made a start to plumbing up the breather system, T-piece at the cam cover that feeds into the catch can, then return runs to the hockey puck valve in the TIP. Need to fabricate a catch can bracket before i can cut hose to exact lengths etc.

Exhaust manifold heat shield (I can't take credit for this, it came with a few bits I bought, but it works great and keeps the heat off the charge pipe)

Currently using the mk4's coolant temp sensor which is okay for the ECU side of things, however scirocco clocks expect different signal for the temp gauge. Instead of wiring in a 33ohm resistor to dash temp feed for an approximate reading I'm going to fit a mk3 gti coolant temp sensor and respective plug which should keep both the ECU and temp gauge on the scirocco clocks happy.

Converted fan wiring to mk4 style plugs as scirocco plugs were corroded and are not very water tight. Just keeping it simple with the 2 pin thermo switch that will either switch the fans on or off, no variable speeds. As a safe backup, I will possibly run the fans through an over run relay that can be triggered by either a dash switch and/or the thermo switch in the rad.

Chucked some coolant in the car for the first time to see if there were any leaks when running, i am getting some drips coming from this bung on the turbo, not really sure what it is as I have both oil lines and both coolant lines plumb in tight, EGT sensor is nipped up tight too. I think this just needs nipped up a bit but that will have to wait until engine is out as access is very tight in there.

Got some genuine Bosch 550cc injectors to replace the 386cc std ones that were pushing their limits. Emerald software provides a handy injector scaling programme that allows you to recalculate the injector scaling map by simply inputting the injector size and FPR rating. This provides a rough speed site additional map that should be suitable for new injector demands. Fired in the new injector stats and it told me it should be good for a working 450hp on 4bar FPR which i have - this is great as its ample for what I'm aiming for!

These injectors have different style plugs so rewired the injector loom to suit

And heres a quick video of the first run with the new 550cc map programmed in. There are still a few values that I'm not too happy with but it seems to be running nice enough and is revving quite cleanly now. I tried to integrate EGT values into the map but as soon as i did it ran pretty shit so EGT is disabled for now.

You may notice here i have an electrical spade crimp holding the throttle open ever so slightly. This is down to the nature of how the AGU cable throttle body works with the OEM ECU, something to do with a stepper motor that is then 'incorrectly' read by the Emerald. Solution is to drill and tap a small hole in the throttle body to create an idle screw that can be adjusted to perfect the idle - I am yet to do this but the crimp seems to jam it quite nicely for now. Its all explained better here - http://www.emeraldm3d.com/articles/nov2012/

Hopefully be going away for a custom roll cage in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks for reading

erreesse likes this.
  17. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I absolutely love this build. I hope to see you on track one day, I’ll be miles behind as I can’t drive [:D]

Mk2daz likes this.
  18. Mk2daz

heres the mk3 golf coolant temp sensor

spliced into the mk4 loom

coolant gauge now reads correctly on the dash.

However fans are coming on far too late for my liking with the two pin thermo switch so I will indeed be wiring them to a pin on the emerald for better control i think.

Been on a waiting list for getting my gearbox checked over and diff fitted from Martin at Gas n Gears, he messaged saying he could squeeze it in this week/next week if i could get it over to him. So plan was that night after work to strip the car right down, engine out etc and whip off the box and have it posted away next day.

Inside stripped, now ready for cage fitting

On to the engine

one 02A gearbox and one wavetrac diff ready for packing

Should have it back over the next couple of weeks, hopefully theres nothing too suss inside the box / diff!

Waiting to hear from cage builder when i can get the car over to him, its ready to go whenever he is [​IMG]

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

How hot does it get? Fans should.kick in around 3/4 then run till just under 1/2

20. Mk2daz

Ah okay, the gauge on the clocks was at around 3/4. But the Emerald live reading was showing around 110-115 degrees before i decided to switch it off anyway!