Mk2 small block fuel pump, able for power increase?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Tristan, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Simple question for the small block lovers, the mechanical fuel pump on a 1.3 mk2, is it able to supply fuel for some bhp increases? One of my mates wants to fit either bike carbs or Webers to his 1.3.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Good question.
    In the old days of pumps like that, folks upgraded to electric pumps before fitting carbs and spinning the engine higher.
    I am sure those mechanical devices have a flow limit and built to support low outputs.

3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I'm pretty sure the standard pump will be fine unless it's going to be a proper high revver

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

main thing is if the replacement camshaft has a lobe on it to drive the pump, one of the common mods is polo GT cam which has no lobe.

simple enough to wire an electric pump safely if need be, buy a kjet 8v fuel relay and plug it in the factory socket. then 1 wire from fusebox to pump power, earth it at the claw and done. you can re-use the old wire which fed the inlet heater, just put an inline fuse on it as the pin at FB isn't fused. or you can remove the inlet heater wire and use the factory fuel pump pin which is fused, which one depends on what fusebox

jamesa likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers guys, I might try it first and see.