Mk2 steering rack questions

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dodgy, Jun 21, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

So yesterday on a scrapyard run, spoke to a mate who has a mk2 power steering rack, with all the pipework and reservoir. No pump.
    He said he doesn't have the joint between column and rack, and its different to a non pas one.
    Couple of things have come to mind,
    Is it easy to get the missing shaft joint, would a mk3 pas one fit? And regards to pump, is it mk2 specific or mk3 compatible again.
    I also have a mk3 subframe for future 1.8t project, possibly into the mk2, so would the pas mk2 rack fit ok, or would I be better looking for mk3 or ibiza 6k one, which could be more compatible with mk4 power steering pump with the engine?
    Thanks, just wondered as mk2 is wife's car, no power steering at moment and quite heavy compared to newer stuff, plus finding mk2 rack was a surprise.
    Cheers Dave

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

UJ depends on age of rack, up to around 92 you need a mk2 UJ, after that you can use a MK3 uj. pump needs to match the alternator setupyou have, mk2 and mk3 pumps are the same fit but the pulley is a different offset.

mk3 subframe will work with mk2 rack and wishbones. pas pipes from the rack you can use mk2 or mk3 with mk2/3/4 pump, mk3 has nicer banjo type bolt to pump so thats what I would choose. the pipe from rack to bottle is longer on a mk3 so if you use mk2 bottle chop it down, and pipe from bottle to rack also different shape from mk2 to mk3 so match up to the bottle again. this one is a simple rubber hose not under any pressure so big deal with that one :)

3. dodgy

Cool, may just grab mk3 set up complete, which would stick with conversion subframe plans, mk3 hose to fit mk4 era engine/pump, easier to find mk3 bits for me, but the odd mk2 does come up within my hunting trips.
    So if I got a mk3 rack, would mk3 UJ fit to the mk2 column? It's an 87 1.6 cl we have.

4. rubjonny

yeah mk3 type rack plus mk3 uj fits a mk2 column no problem, you still need the mk2 uj boot and the rubber doughnut that sits on the rack. then you fit mk2 pas track rods if using mk2 wishbones or leave mk3 ones if mk3 wishbones :)

5. dodgy

Spot on, thanks john. Looks like a 500 mile round trip in couple weeks to get some more parts :)

6. davidut5 Forum Member

I have mk3 rack and mk3 UJ in my jetta with mk4 pump. I had mk2/3 cast pumps but were too noisy. The aluminum mk4 one is almost quiet.
    John i got a mk2 uj boot, you say i also need the o-ring 192419530? It is needed only on trw racks?
    The mk3 rack i have has a collar to fit the boot over, and the mk2 boot i got is smaller than the non pas rack i had, so should fit without the doughnut, hopefully.:lol:

7. rubjonny

yes thats the right part number for RHD MK2 rack, the mk3 doesnt use one so if the boot fits on it snug you're sorted :)

as it happens the mk3 pump on mine is alloy, and so is the NOS one I got from ebay a while back. not sure if its an age thing or for higher spec models